Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Potential of ThrowBarb as a omni-dueler

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by this_barb, Jan 31, 2004.

1. this_barb

this_barb IncGamers Member

Potential of ThrowBarb as a omni-dueler

I was wondering whether a throw barb (dual-thrower/jav-shield) has potential as a dueler vs any class. I would be using ethereal lacerators for their amp damage (yea i know bm, but so totally sweet dueling weapons it seems). I want to be able to win regularily vs any class.

2. Neo_Cronos

Neo_Cronos IncGamers Member

I would also like to know. I was thinking about building one, but i dont want to take the time to get the gear if he is going to suck.

TY in advance

3. Slayaboxer

Slayaboxer IncGamers Member

lol me too i wanna make one, well i already made one earlier today and my barb (MassDistortion) is lvl 18 now. So far im using 2 balance axe and a rare sword on switch with sigon armor/glove/boot and duskeep helm. Im moving easily with act 2, just gotten cube and staff and moving on to ammy

Looks like a lot of ppl wanna make throwers but not many people knows the result :p

From some battle reports i heard Garbad_the_weak made a throw so im trying to get him to answer some questions

4. Madmartagan2002

Madmartagan2002 IncGamers Member

Use Axes

I've been meaning to build a throwbrab too... I always planned to use throwing axes because you can run the Blood Recipie over and over again until you get good mods/damage.

5. Pent

Pent IncGamers Member

I found many of those new unique throwing javalins
    so I decided to make one as well
    it will be hybrid frenzy+throw

6. aleks

aleks IncGamers Member

few days ago i made my double throw barb. he was using dual eth lacerators. he did around 5.5k max dmg on each throw. and the amp triggers VERY often. it kills some duelers VERY quickly. i had over 14k ar and 10k def. for sorcs/necs it's mostly 1 hit ko, a few more hits for zons/assy. the barbs/pallies take some time.

1 also got 1 point in ww and 1 point in axe mastery. he gets around 6k ww ar. after enchant from demon limb it is 10k. so i do ok against some chars. but one thing still, he doesn't kill more than half of the GOOD duelers. only ppl with bad equip or low block/low def gets beaten by me. i have almost no chance against botd barbs/exile pallies/enigma necros.

my skills are
    MAX double swing
    MAX double throw
    MAX throw mastery
    MAX battle orders
    1 natural resist
    1 whirlwind
    1 axe mastery
    prerequisites

my stats are
    5.5k max dt dmg, 14k dt ar, 3.5k throw dmg, 10k throw ar
    1.8k ww dmg(sad indeed), 6k ww ar
    4.7k ar
    12k def with ss/10k def with dual lacerator

a HUGE problem while dueling is i ALWAYS run out of axes. i have only 2 eth lacerators, it seems like u need 4 more of them in ur stash for some constant dueling

7. Neo_Cronos

Aleks could you give us the gear u use, and your equipment

Also i wanted to know if the Botd barbs your losing to were also using enigma.

8. hv)pheonix

hv)pheonix IncGamers Member

maybe droppin some off of dble throw and putting them into shout is what u need. also to all javas are better for duels cause of the range try demon archs or something good like that also having some psn wouldnt hurt. use the low life-zon build min str for equipment around 80 to 120 vit then rest into dex with a barb u got lots of life from bo so u will be ok

9. aleks

aleks IncGamers Member

my equipment are the following

Arreats (15ias jewel)
    Enigma
    2xEth Lacerator
    Ik glove,belt,boots
    metalgird
    ravenfrost
    stormshield and wraith flight on switch

20/14 annilisus and lotsa 20life and lightning/cold resist scs

the range on the axes are indeed too short, it disappears before even reaching the edge of the screen! but the amp dmg is just too good. if i use 1 lacerator on right hand, wraith flight on left. it shoots the same speed as if u had 2 lacerators. i do 7.5kthrow with wraith flight but it only got 80 in a stack!!!

when i duel barbs, i ww with lacerator and stormshield. but! right after my ww, i chuck a few axes at them :D . with demon limb enchant my throw ar is also 14k so it hits fairly often. the amp that triggers compensates for the low dmg on lacerator. when amp triggers it means my 1.8k max dmg on lacerator suddenly turned to 5.4k dmg!

throw barb is a very fun build, but it's not doing oo well like more mainstream builds. i think im going to build a botd zerker barb too, with a HUGE botd glorious axe in his stash :p . he is already made, his name is The_Humongous :D :D

10. Andrew

Andrew IncGamers Member

I was thinking of maybe making one for PvM, since i have two Gimmershreds. Are these usable? For PvM at least =D. The barb will most slightly be playing in a party with a sorc and a werebear, so survival is not really an issue. Just wondering if it would work.

I also have a wraith flight, and a demon arc if they would work better.

Also, lets say i wear razortail... lol will the axes pierce? hahahaha

11. Dr4kan

Dr4kan IncGamers Member

i had a pvp throw barb in 1.09 and he did quite good. i was using 2 x cruel winged javs, his dam was about 2.5 k or so(not much compared what u can get but i had sucky charms) about 3k life, 7-8 k ar if i remember. but his only prob was zons/fast good s/s barbs and very good sorcs

12. Dr4kan

Dr4kan IncGamers Member

soz i got interrupted jus before.

Well anyway my equip was as follows iirc

Arreats(clean was going to sock with a ias/mod jewel)
    60 ias armor(used a 160/60 at a time)
    cats eye
    Raven frost
    dual leech ring raven spiral i think(d2classic dupe)
    war travelers
    String of ears
    Cruel Winged harpoons x 2 with some minor mods
    IK gloves
    On switch i had a stormshield with a 40/15 ias jewel and a cruel balrog spear i think of quickness very low ed i think 210 or so.

I had max throw matery
    max BO
    10 pts or so in double throw
    14 in inc speed with arreats and such
    5 pts in nat res

i ditched him after about 2 months of playing tho he had quite the potential but i jus got annoyed at the money spending on repairing the god damn javs and also i jus liked my Vindi/temp more.

but i play ladder now so i havent tried the thrower, tho he has gotten some better weapons at his disposal, as well as its easier to reach higher amounts of life due to items like enigma, annihilius and such.
    But overall i think a S/S barb has and always will be the best overall barb with enough r/w and 4k+ hp and about 3.5k+ damage at max speed and max pdr he can beat most classes, tho teleporting chars will be a pain(and are extremely cheap btw) the hybrid barb is good for taking out teleing opps tho
    have a nice sword with storm on one switch, charge at ur opp, if its a necro/sorc other casters that teleport or run away to be able to attack u, then u have an oppurtunity to switch to ur 2 javs and hurl them at them. with enough dam(2.5 k and upward kills most sorcs, its easier to achieve 3k+ dam tho now) u should be able to surprise ppl.

skill allocation will look something like this

20 pts in sword mastery
    20 pts in throw mastery
    10 pts or more if u need ar in Whirlwind
    10+ pts in double throw
    20 pts in Battle orders
    rest goes into shout
    1 inc speed
    1 nat res
    1+ iron skin( get this or shout for defense, i recommend shout due to increase duration of bo and more defense, think lvl 20 I skin is 220 def while lvl 20 shout is 290)

13. boochie61

boochie61 IncGamers Member

Andrew, Gimmershreds are extremely usable, and in fact are pretty crutial to building a 1.10 throw barb without having to use berserk. Their elemental is HUGE, the damage and speed are more than acceptable.
    As for the razortail, yes, the axes pierce, but their range is not as much as a demon arch or any of the other javs available. Piercing ability is directly related to the throw range of the weapon, and the gimmers don't have a big range so they don't pierce as often as my demon arches.
    Just remember that with a throw barb, one set of weapons is never enough. You will go crazy running to town replenishing those gimmers about every 45-60 seconds.

14. LuckyDwarf

LuckyDwarf IncGamers Member

Which is sad because they have an insanely high stack compared to other throwing weapons.

Lucky

15. Neo_Cronos

I was wondering if the 3 ik pieces are really the best equip options for a PvP throw barb. Does anyone else have any other ideas.

Also I want to build a barb that emphasizes speed. Fast everyhting, throwing and running anyway. Does anyone know what my ideal set up would be like?

16. KiL

KiL IncGamers Member

Sorry, but when I was dueling with my Throwbarb in 1.09 I didn't have that much of a problem using my 1 pair of Cruel Winged Harpoons (low %'s) to effectively kill people before running out. I think your guys problem is either the short range of axes (ie. - dont reach the target the first time, so throw, throw again) or that you just need some practice aiming. Again, forgive me if I'm completely off-base because of my lack of dueling in the new patch.

17. rickster

rickster IncGamers Member

Why don't you guys use slow? I was thinking about wearing a Nosferatu's Coil as a belt. I know its BM but i'd only duel in pubby games.

18. Red_Zone

Red_Zone IncGamers Member

Wouldn't normal Lacerators be better for dueling? Sure they do less damage, but the repair cost will only be 1 gold each hand. I'm making a throw barb, level 50 (need my friend to rush me to the end of act 5 nm), and I'm planning to use dual Gimmershreds for now. I would use normal Lacerators, if I had them of course, because I could duel for much longer period of time, and I wouldn't have to worry about people stealing my gold in public games. :D

My Equipment is as follows:
    Dual Gimmershreds/Echoing Throwing Spears
    Arreat's Face with a 20ish ED/15 IAS jewel
    Shaftstop (hopefully I can find something better)
    IK Gloves
    IK Belt
    Goreriders
    Highlord's Wrath/Cat's Eye
    Dual Ravens