Potential "ethics problem"

helvete

Diabloii.Net Member
Potential "ethics problem"

http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=498600

This glitch in the game could cause sockets in uniques and sets on classic SP, in addition to a few other things. Any thoughts about it?

No expansion items drop or come from quest rewards, tho... but the socketing works.

Thoughts? I guess there is little classic going on in SP anyway, and if it is it's probably 1.06b not 1.11b but I still thought I should post a heads up.

goomba

Diabloii.Net Member
having never played expac, and seeing that most of that post is in reference to xpac, I'm confused as to how it would relate to classic?

:confused: if this is in relation to "open bnet" I thought it was commonly known that many people are modding client side characters anyway?

helvete

Diabloii.Net Member
It happens when you start a classic chat (something you can still do in xpac) and forget to turn off the -act5 swithc (allows you to go past act 1-4 and be lvl 33 with no stats/skills spent).

Yes, the xpac must be installed to achieve this. Works in 1.11b, doesn't seem to work in 1.07 and I have yet to test other versions.

DougDadyUsWest

Diabloii.Net Member
Sounds interesting. Not something I'd be interested in trying, interesting none the less. Dacar will probably close this thread down soon though, or more likely, delete it.

WarlockCC

Diablo Classic Moderator
You could try to socket some gloves or boots and see what that does. :)

Basically, you would then playing a single player classic char which is dropped in act 5. I guess after you leave the act5 town to another act, either trough the wp(if that works) or by leaving that difficulty for another difficulty, you won't be able to get back there though.

Amusing, but it won't impact many people. Using such a 'exploit' on purpose for more then it's shortlived amusement value would probably fall into the same catagory as using a character editor(which would probably also allow the socketing of uniques). Well, to most players anyway. So I doubt we'll find much socketed uniques and sets for sale in the classic sp economy. :)

helvete

Diabloii.Net Member
^^ good points all.

I found it out by accident, and I don't trade in SP anyway (to me it loses its "single" in singleplayer by trading).

No point in deleting this thread without deleting the other as well, tho. As you say, this has mostly amusement value. It's fun seeing the classic stash size in harrogath :)

Dacar92

Moderator: Community, D2 Zon, DH, Inc Clan Officer
I think you've gotton all the response you're going to get here in Classic. I think most people who play Classic aren't going to be bothered by this. Like some have already said, less the amusement value, what's the point?

purplelocust

Diabloii.Net Member
Dacar92 said:
I think you've gotton all the response you're going to get here in Classic. I think most people who play Classic aren't going to be bothered by this. Like some have already said, less the amusement value, what's the point?
Though using this to socket items in Classic is clearly improper, this exploit arises only in Single Player, and so the possibly relevant issue is trading and multiplayer. I think the consensus is that whatever you do on you own machine is fine, but if you are trading or playing multiplayer then you need to be 100% hack-free and exploit-free and if not, be very clear upfront about how you play. That is, for example, if you use ATMA to convert items from HC to SC with your characters and then you trade items found in the SC world with a character using items that many would consider tainted by the ATMA conversion, you need to explain that to your potential trade partners before making any trades. But I don't think there is a big SP trade in Classic items anyway, as the word "Classic" doesn't even appear in the SPF Trade Forum rules or FAQs that I could see.

WarlockCC

Diablo Classic Moderator
It does raise the question of how the engine would handle such socketed uniques. The client with LoD installed might be able to handle them just fine, but how would a client which doesn't have LoD installed 'see' these kind of items in a tradewindow if you connect to a game hosted by the 'socketeer' ?