Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Postmodernists Gone Wild! (Dartmouth professor threatens to sue students)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Holysinner, May 19, 2008.

1. Holysinner

Holysinner IncGamers Member

Postmodernists Gone Wild! (Dartmouth professor threatens to sue students)

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120995103004666569.html
    Here’s the school newspaper’s take, and a Dartmouth blog containing purported emails from the professor informing students of her intent to sue. I particularly liked some of the examples of students creating a hostile work environment:

Now, I don’t know the facts of the case, but she appears to take each everyday challenge or slight as a personal attack and example of institutional racism, yet isn’t in the least bit hesitant to lash out at everyone she perceives as against her. This strikes me as a particularly (insert obligatory outrage) example of (insert synonym for oversensitivity).

Ms. Venkatesan has now moved on to Northwestern. Would you take her class?

2. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Re: Postmodernists Gone Wild! (Dartmouth professor threatens to sue students)

I'd probably sign up for her class just to sit in it for a day or two and see if she's as big of a loon as that article makes her out to be.

3. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

When I was in highschool I knew one or two Indian (or maybe they were Pakistani, not sure) teachers who were kind of like this, well except for the lawsuits. Maybe it's partly a cultural thing.

4. th5418

th5418 Banned

Hell yeah I'd take her class. Indians are loonies!

5. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

This article has made me realize that I need to spend some more time contemplating ecofeminism...

6. WildBerry

WildBerry IncGamers Member

Hi, Ms. Venkatesan.

Please teach a few classes in elementary. You don't have to be qualified, just do it for the kicks a few times. Observe the disciplinary issues. Compare and contrast these disciplinary issues with those of your previous institution of employment. In the context of elementary teaching experience, justify the juridical process you have set in motion. Use no more than 4000 words.

Branches of feminist studies have valid results. It always ticks me off when people like her undermine the whole of it, because for some reason, while medicine is not judged by Paracelsus' medicine, they are.

7. Croup

Croup IncGamers Member

That's exactly what I was thinking about post-modernism. So many good ideas, so much pretension and horrible rhetoric.

8. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

I would have liked to have a class or two where the students were intelligent enough to actually challenge some of what the teachers were saying. You wouldn't believe the discussions in my undergrad courses, especially some Constitutional law classes I took. Holy crap were the students morons.

I did piss off my biosocial criminology professor though. I sort of kind of in a backhanded way called him naive for some of his beliefs about biosocial criminology, and he really didn't like that. After reading this article, I think I got lucky not to be threatened with a lawsuit.

9. ohnoyellowdinosaur

ohnoyellowdinosaur IncGamers Member

I'm east indian, but I'm not some elitist postmodern loonie so the generalizations wouldn't be true.

10. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Well, they were law students.

Although at least your idiot students are easier on the eyes than our idiot students.

11. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

HAHA! No no, much worse, they were criminology students.

12. Holysinner

I like your prescription, Wildberry, spot on. I think she could also use a few more sessions with her physician for her "intellectual distress," as well. Your Paracelsus reference went completely over my head, though, even after I read the linked article.

The only time I recall getting upset with and confronting a professor was when an old US Government prof, in a slide showing where different political groups fall in the ideological spectrum, placed "Pro-Lifers" under Loony Fringe. I'm fully pro-choice, and belonged to pro-choice campus groups at the time, but I even found his characterization ridiculous. I asked if he meant violent extremists in the cause, or at least clinic protesters, but he said, no, everyone who holds the pro-life position on abortion. Oddly, I was the only one of the 200+ students in the class to say something about it. Maybe I'm too tolerant of opposing views?

13. WildBerry

The point was mainly that most of Paracelsus' medicine, especially the treatments, are currently considered at best invalid treatments, at worst disastrous for health. Bottom line is that while he pretty certainly sucked as a physician, he is remembered and somewhat venerated for his at the time novel ideas in stead of casting his field of science into dishonor.

I'm not harping about any perceived double standard for physicians and pheminists, I think it's pretty natural that a younger branch of science, less established and with less direct applicability the feminist studies naturally have to prove themselves further.

14. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Colleges are very left wing biased.

That said, most pro-lifers are loons.

15. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

It is a bizarre phenomenon to me. Any theories as to why?

16. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

It's not the real world so to speak, Successful people in the real world tend the other way.

17. Holysinner

I got that part, but I couldn't see how feminists are judged by his theories. But I guess you're saying that feminists are unfairly judged by the failings of a few rather than taking the whole into perspective, whereas other fields like medicine are viewed by the progressive development, rather than held back by past errors. Makes sense now, though one could argue that feminism made its greatest strides in earlier eras (women's suffrage, for instance) and when it reached a critical mass (60' and 70's), and too much of what has come since tends to the extremes or is just a restatement of what came before - not an analagous progression. But I'm cherry picking and getting into the weeds (to mix metaphors), whereas I see the thrust of your comparison.

Damnit, WB, in trying to follow you I'm starting to sound like you. And the second paragraph you edited in while I was typing makes this post pointless, so I might as well go to sleep.

18. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

I dunno, probably the same reason churches are very right wing biased.

In America, anyway.

More like any man at the age of twenty who is not a liberal has no heart, and any man at the age of forty who is not a conservative has no wallet.

19. WildBerry

That was sort of my point. It seems my reference was again up the chimney.

Bwuahaha resistance is futile, you will be assimilated. Soon you will look like that 'tar too and then it gets really sad.

Although while the second paragraph is no less meaningful: while I inferred that there is some validity in judging the feminist theory stricter, I did not mention specifically the rather common opinion that their best ideas are already past them and they're just chewing on the same stuff. It remains a valid point, one I would do well to note.

Not where I live, though. It strongly depends on field of study whether there are any leftist-leaning people in particular part of campus at all; engineering students are not very hot for Social Democrats.

20. Holysinner

I'd have to lose 60 pounds first, so 'soon' in this case is a very relative term.

Not necessarily a valid point, just an opinion as you observed. I'm not sure I hold it myself. Though I remember reading Susan Faludi's Backlash when I was in school (not for a class) and agreeing with some of it, but the recent C-SPAN interview I saw with her about The Terror Dream: Fear and Fantasy in Post-9/11 America made her sound like she's gone off the rails. I never read seriously much of the academic literature then or now, so I don't have a point of comparison for that.

Going further off topic...there was an idea I vaguely remember from one class about the linked motivations for sexism and racism. One writer was making the claim that racism stems from an impuse to keep members of another race from access to one's own race's females; and that sexual violence is a means of asserting one's power over all the other males that the target will have relationships with later in her life. I can't remember the writer or the book, though, so I was wondering if you have heard of such a theory and could point me to who proposed it.