Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Possibly decent dueling char, Advice needed

Discussion in 'PvP' started by LavokSoulreaper, Aug 29, 2010.

1. LavokSoulreaper

LavokSoulreaper IncGamers Member

Possibly decent dueling char, Advice needed

Hi, I have been playing d2 since back when it was released some years ago. I will say that i have made a pretty decent amount of characters in pvm. But...when it comes to pvp i cant say i have ever made a really good one besides a charger-but thats another story.

I want to make a dual clawed dragon flight/dragon claw assassin that can do a decent job at both melee chars and mage chars with melee prally being the harder to fight.

With the new patch there are some new synergies to dragon claw and claw mastery that make those as a combo very powerful. Dragon flight i have truly never used but i just got to 24 and it is fun, and much better than it used to be. Cloak of shadows i was also thinking about using since it will help against mages. And finally claw block will help immensely against mages and brutes since you can block magical attacks with them. Venom i am not sure about, but i will prally get 1 point into it.

So this is what i have-

-20 Claw Mastery
    -20 Dragon Claw
    -20 Dragon Flight
    -5 Burst of speed (equipment will do the rest)
    -1 Claw block (equipment will do the rest since it stops improving at lvl 10)
    -Not sure about shadow master ?
    -Also not sure about venom ?
    -1 cloak of shadows (equipment will do the rest, damn good skill!)

1) Mage Dueling-This build will mostlikely require speed and timing to take out most mages since mages can kill you at the drop of the hat. However, unlike most assassins and any other character in the game-dual clawed can block their attacks which is why i am going in this direction. With cloak of shadows to befuddle and then dragon flight to snipe. I would mostlikely then need to use dragon claw to finish them off or go back to dodging them and using dragon flight. I am still not sure about this setup but that is why i ask you veterans of dueling for help.

2-Brute Dueling-Alright here is where it will get ugly. Assassins are usually good mage killers-this i know from reading about it and hearing about it. But how is my assassin going to go up against a fury druid, a barbarian who whirlwinds, and the monster of them all- a zeal paladin. I am mostlikely going to have to make my guy super quick so he can dragon claw in less than a 1/3 of a second and get out and dragon flight to slowly wean them down.

If anyone has any advice on this or experience on this, i'd be grateful.

2. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

Re: Possibly decent dueling char, Advice needed

DClaw would certainly be a nice thing to try, but I recommend ignoring DFlight completely.

If you get hit, the cast is interrupted, and it takes a while to cast--half a second to tele, and another with your foot still in the air when you "land". If the opponent leaves the screen, it also fails and you kick the air.

Dragon Claw is more powerful now, but gear-wise, it'd be the same as a Ghost, who also uses that skill vs a few opponents.

Skill-wise, you don't need DFlight, but do need Venom. I recommend maxing Venom.

If using BoS, stick to casters and make up the res elsewhere. BoS is actually good for IAS issues, but still needs a lot of IAS. I'd keep BoS at one and rely on + skills.

1 point in Shadow Master, one point in blade shield (and it gets you WoF), and one point in Mind Blast (!!!!).

Claw block gets 60% block at level 26. Use + skills and figure your skill after casting BC. Average gear should be ~11 or 12 +skills, so you should have little problem.

Claws should be Runics with the main claw a "Fury". If you plan on WSM bugging (detailed in the linked guide), then the claws can be a Fury for the Suwayyah and Fury for the Runic Talons. I don't recommend Chaos since the Frozen Orb will throw off your timing more-so than when used on a Ghost. If you feel fine with it and find you like the chill and can put up with the cast delay, then go for it and follow the Ghost gear. The two are very similar.

IAS needed for a level 11 BoS is 72 with -30 WSM (2x Runics). This is covered by Fury (40), Highlord's (20) and an IAS Jewel (15) in the helm.

WSM bugging gets you a WSM of -40, which needs 50% IAS. Fury covers 40%, and Highlord's covers the other 10% (no need for a Jewel ^^).

Res can be covered by the open helm slot, and by charms. Even boots are a useful place for res (lightning and cold especially).

Melee will tear up a DClaw sin. I've tried it countless times with specific, perfect gear and it doesn't do well. In a pub where venom is fine, it's easier, but don't expect to win much if any. Your defense will be low no matter what gear you have, AR is a big issue, and damage doesn't compare with other melee. Block is also lower and interrupts you.

3. LavokSoulreaper

Thanks for the advice. I am still torn about this build. So dragon claw is almost useless against melee and casters? If that is the case then why wouldnt dragon flight be a good option to use. I've seen it do wonders to casters in the few dueling games i watched.

Even if that is true and i use dragon claw to the max, will it only be useful towards casters cause I figured they would just run away from it.

That was why i would use flight to get close and then dragon claw to finish them off.

4. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

Dflight is very unreliable. It'll miss or get interrupted more than it'll hit.

DClaw isn't useless, but you have to have the opponent stunned to get it to work. If they aren't, then they will be able to escape.

It is used less than WW since it's stationary. Tri-whirls can avoid an attack that may get through while attacking. Then again, you lose minion stack. WW also catches anyone walking and especially running away when you go in the same direction. DClaw would stand there attacking or run after if they got away.

Vs casters, it'd do fine, but keep in mind which ones. VS necromancers, DClaw is definitely great. Sorcs can be hit either way. VS zons and druids, it's often better to have the mobile attack.

5. LavokSoulreaper

I appreciate the advice. The only problem is i just respecialized my char since the other one couldnt do anything in nightmare. I'm gonna try a ninja/flight char that uses-Fade and weapon block for defense, dragon flight for some mages, blade fury with a knockback weapon for melee, and shadow master for a distraction. Oh, along with venom to make that damage count. So far the ninja char is able to take out enemies much better than the other.

And due to a faq about fury getting buffed in the last patch that i read on this site-I think it'll turn out alright.

Thanks alot for your advice, it really helped me get an idea how assassins duel in here.

6. struikje

struikje IncGamers Member

If you get frustrated with blade fury (you probably will), you could try a tienje's guide of a ghost (link is up above). It comes close to what you seem to have in mind, and will be more efficient.

7. LavokSoulreaper

Pooling resources of 3 Paths I can take

Ok, i am starting to get the hand of what to do to make a good dueler in pvp. I watched a few videos and read about some of the guides you guys made on here. From these guides, I found that i like 3 outlets.

There are currently 3 avenues i can take:

1) Barb that uses dual wielded swords with cries and a large emphasis on speed. This might be better off with a polearm for more reach, though polearms are very slow. Still not sure about this one, but this one i would like to do since i am an oldschool player of barbs. I still am a little uneducated on how dual wielding works with wirlwind.

2) Druid that uses feral rage for extreme speed and life leech and then finishes on rabies through sheer poison extremes. This one would be cool if it would work with pvp. This would prally be my 1st choice since my comp lags a bit and i wanted to try something that no one has done. My gripe is mainly again with whether or not this is feasible in a duel. I cannot see myself teleporting around just to black their lights, it's just not me.

3)The 3rd and last one would have to be the assassin that uses dragon claw against mages. This one prally wont work, but i dont know. I prally shouldnt have made the character so crappy, i shouldve came here first. In the end though this character is shot. I tried using mind blast with wake of fire in a duel and it doesnt work and my comp is a little slow which doesnt help.

I just want someone elses opinions on this. Though i could go with either the wolf druid or the dual wielder barb, I wish that the druid could work. If anyone can give me any help i would be most appreciative. Thanks.

8. Verashiden

Verashiden IncGamers Member

1) Axes have the same reach as swords for the most part. If you want a fast Barb I'd do a Wolf Barb.

2) It works, but it's terribly inconsistent [to get Feral fully charged]. Hybrid Wolves generally are FC/Rabies or Fury/Rabies with Feral as a one point shenanigan skill.

3) Mage Slayer Sins IIRC use DTalon, though DClaw can work as well. MB + Traps should work. Are you sure they have the swirlies over their head when the traps start taking effect? It won't immobilize anyone smart due to WSG but it does slow them down considerably, allowing you to get close.

With 1.13 You may now respec characters by talking to Akara, so all is not lost with your Sin.

For more information on Wolves, the Druid forum is generally more helpful and reduces flame risks >.>.