Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Possibly a stupid question about Dragonscale

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by majorB, Feb 29, 2004.

1. majorB

majorB IncGamers Member

Possibly a stupid question about Dragonscale

If I were to smite with one of these, would it still add 211-371 fire damage?
    If I had one Id try it myself and see, but Ive never actually seen one in person so....

Im guessing not, but it would sure be cool if i were wrong.

Anyway, thats my question, thanks to anybody who knows.

MajorB

2. fonis toastes

fonis toastes Banned

Smite does not include any type of elemental damage from anything. Sorry. (not sure about enchant, though. Doubt it does)

3. majorB

majorB IncGamers Member

Thanks Fonis, I knew it wouldnt add ele dmg from other equip, I was just curious since its actually on the shield itself.

Thanks again,

MajorB

4. Infamous Harpua

Infamous Harpua IncGamers Member

Please say yes

I am very interested in this too. I am planning on making a fire ranger (don't know if this has been done because I'm new to the pally forums). In my dream set-up I would have a HoJ Bow with HoJ mallet and dragonscale on the switch. I would also have maxed conviction and a crown of ages with some 5/5 fire facets. For armor, either enigma to tele away from necros while firing fire arrows and throwing out hydras everywhere, or griz armor with 3 5/5 fire jewels. I don't know about the rest of the equipment because I've never really messed with elemental before. All I know is that the build would be very very versitale if you had $$ to buy the eq because you wouldn't have to build up holy fire because of the HoJs, so you could change all of your eq and become a normal smiter/FoHer. This could add tons of dominance in pvp because as we all know with paladins, you have to specialize your attack plan for different characters you face.

Skills would be: (for a smiter/ranger)
    10 Smite
    20 Holy Shield
    20 Fanat
    20 Conviction
    1 Salvation
    1 Resist Fire
    1 Resist Cold
    1 Resist Lightning

Rest spread out among many things. Hopefully I would have enough +skills in my equipment and in my inventory to boost all of my skills I put 1 point in up to around 10-16. For most things you would just smite and let conviction with the dragonscale burn everything to pieces. Elemental chars like sorcs could be handled easily with the right rings/belts to aid in absorb (I like to keep 2x each absorb unique and each absorb belt in my stash for pvp in public duels). Magical damage like hammerdins and necros could be shot down with the HoJ bow. Is this feasible?

Anyways, sorry if I have seemingly hijacked your post. I am only meaning to add to it! I am going to start this build soon.

5. TheCerberus

TheCerberus IncGamers Member

Well, if this helps any, in classic Enchant does add damage to Smite. Either it displays but does not really add, or classic is much different than I thought, or it actually adds. Hoping the last one.

6. fonis toastes

fonis toastes Banned

It's likely, since Enchant says it adds to the attack. Easy to test. Find a sorc with a high Enchant and have some zealot use his level 1 smite (no fanat) with a buckler with and without the enchant and see how it does.

7. eviljr.

eviljr. IncGamers Member

no it wont, asspecified in smite, it dose not handle elemental dmg... itwill only do so with zeal, sacrifice, vengeance, ect... its good for a avenger i guess, since it has vengence and it adds to the elemental dmg it already has...

8. ROMVS

ROMVS IncGamers Member

Still... I'm intrigued. Will someone please test this. My cable conn will be gone for 2 weeks so it would be nice to come back and see whether it works or not with Fonis' suggested parameters.

9. majorB

majorB IncGamers Member

The enchant thing is quite intriguing, I suppose I could slap a demon limb on and see if the fire damage is displayed.

10. Weltkriegpally

Weltkriegpally IncGamers Member

I don't know about now, but I did test it in 1.09. In 1.09, enchant did NOT add to smite. Now, it could be different now, but I highly doubt it. It would be way too overpowered.

As far as the fire pally goes, it could work. but there are some things you are going to have to remember. you have no fanat, therefore, you will need a lot of ias. I don't know how much hoj gives, but chances are reasonably good you will need up to 100 ias to hit 9 frames in a reasonably quick bow (base -10 or 0), If you are going to go the max holy fire route with synergies, then you will need an alternate solution for pis, I suggest fanat. It is an excellent choice and only takes you 20 points. good luck!

--welt