Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Possible to get 560% ED weapons with Crafting?

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by Pherdnut, May 25, 2005.

1. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

Possible to get 560% ED weapons with Crafting?

Are crafted items capable of getting the magic only mods like +3 skillers etc. and the higher ED mods? Can you socket crafted items? If so, do they work like magic or rare items? I'm thinking maybe I should start picking up all those blue Ogre Mauls.

2. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Crafted items can only get affixes for rare items (up to two prefixes and two suffices - the number depands on the level of the crafter) and Larzuk will give them one socket. That means, a blood axe can get up to 450%ed from affixes, up to 60% from the fixed mod and another 50% from an Ohm rune (although a Lo would effectively be better if tha wearer doesn't have a >80% chance for CS). Such a weapon can't get two sockets from an affix because that would be the third prefix.

For further details, see here.

3. Ankeli

Ankeli IncGamers Member

second affix, third prefix... ohhh.. where was i? right, going to buy milk...

4. Pherdnut

Gotcha. I wasn't sure because AS was saying magic and rare prefixes were possible but wasn't sure if they meant that as a catchall or if crafted items could get the magic only ones as well. Yeah, I'm kind of liking the Ogre Maul idea because Tir runes are dirt cheap to find. An Ogre Maul with 400+ ED and 40% IAS has got to be worth something to a shapeshifter druid. "Blunt Weapons" seems kind of broad. That doesn't cover Scepters too does it?

5. krischan

When an item is generated, it has a certain chance to get an ability from the so-called prefix list or from the suffix list or from both. For magical items, the according mod appear in the item's names. A mod from the prefix list is specified before the item type while the suffix is specified behind it. You can call it list A and list B as well, but the naming process for magical item is the reason for naming the according mods prefixes and suffixes. Example: Jeweler's monarch of deflection. "Jeweler's" is a prefix and "deflection" is a suffix. An affix is the generic term for a prefix or a suffix.

Rare items get up to three abilities from the prefix list and up to three from the suffix list. The combination doesn't have an effect on the item's name. In addition, certain affixes aren't possible for rare items.

Crafted items get certain fixed mods and (depending on the crafter's level), a certain number of affixes with up to two of them being prefixes and up to two of them being suffixes. See the mentioned link for a table about that.

The bottom line of the list of hitpower recipes at AS states that scepters are included. I'm not sure is AS is 100% correct about this (it wouldn't be a surprise), but don't worry if you try it with the wrong item. If the recipe doesn't work, nothing will happen and you will still have all the components.

6. Pherdnut

I'll have to try it for the heck of it. That could work out nicely if the staff mods stay intact, but I suspect they don't since crafting seems kind of like imbuing.

7. Ax2Grind

Ax2Grind IncGamers Member

Are you sure?

A total of four random affixes is the limit crafted items, same as rare jewels, but both can receive up to three prefixes or three suffixes, meaning it can be 3-1/2-2/1-3. Cruel, Master's and Mechanic's are all possible on a single crafted weapon, though highly improbable. 337-510% with two sockets and a suffix (can't craft an ethereal with the suffix being self-repair, but it'd be nice).

8. bluedragoon

bluedragoon IncGamers Member

drool :) but what about "of Quickness" and u can zod then :)

9. krischan

Ax2Grind is right with respect to affixes, but regarding ethereal items, they become nonethereal after crafting.

10. lCE

lCE IncGamers Member

It does work with scepters, ive burned hundreds of runes trying to get a nice smite scepter in 1.09, no luck though, imo crafting weapons is a waste of time since the chances to get anything that beats common uniques is insanely low. (In other terms dont count on it).

11. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

"good smiter scepter"??? Scepters can't get +smite or +holy shield. However, +3 fanaticism, +3 vengeance, +3 conviction, 510%ED, lots of AR, 2 socket 40% IAS still would be nice on a caduceus

12. krischan

In case that number comes to your mind because of the blood recipe: That recipe works for axes only. However, a rare weapon (as well as crafted weapons) can get the mechanic's prefix (adds 1-2 sockets) together with the cruel and master's prefix, so when ohmed, the maximum is 550% (and 610% for a blood axe). That doesn't mean that 2xOhm is the best socketing, however.

13. lCE

lCE IncGamers Member

Note: i said i was doing this IN 1.09 <--------------
    Back then +holy shield was possible on scepters, and there were a few magical +2 all or +3 combat +3 HS floating around.

14. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

Will you ever learn that the hitpower recipe also has a set 35-60% ED and works with all blunt weapons

This is every single base item with the mod "+50% damage to undead"

15. krischan

Arrrrrrgh !

16. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

I stand corrected. I didn't know much about the game back in 1.09 (except that pindle dropped anything), but started to catch interest when 1.10 came about, since I'm one of those people that think 1.10 is far superior to any previous patch.

To those who didn't know this already:
    A lot of staffmods (1-3 mods of +1-3 to a specific skill on orbs, rods, pelts, claws, voodoo heads, primal helms; not concidered magic) can't spawn. Poison dagger is set to only spawn on daggers, but no daggers can have staffmods. Also, a lot of barbarian combat skills are set to only spawn on weapons only, but no weapons can have barb staffmods. And guess what? Smite and holy shield are set to spawn on shields only, but no shield can have staffmods (unless you count the resist/damage+AR on auric shields)

I wish I had known this all along. There is also a lot more to know about staffmods, and most of it is great to know. I really recommend a searc on the word "staffmod" or "staffmods".

17. Zephyrin

Zephyrin IncGamers Member

Is it really that they can't spawn at all, or is the combination ilvl/staffmod impossible unless you alter the ilvl of the item to be crafted, using a cube recipe ?

I remember reading something a bit complex about this issue of staffmods and ilvls in the "guide to altering items ingame". I would need to read it again more carefully.

18. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

Except that only +individual skill mods are called staffmods, the rest is called automagic mods IIRC.

They really can't spawn. For example, out of all the Barbarian Combat Skills, only Leap can spawn on barbarian helms now.

19. Ax2Grind

Ax2Grind IncGamers Member

Don't sweat it, Krischan

Last I checked rods couldn't be used in blunt recipes, and they get enhanced damage against undead, too. Clubs, maces, and hammers for blunts; staves, wands, and scepters for rods. Other than that you're correct: blunt recipes gives ED, as well.

If this has changed, so be it. Easy way to test it, I suppose.

20. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

The hitpower weapon recipe's key ingredient is anything satisfying "blun,mag", ie a magical blunt weapon (cubemain.txt).
    Staves and Rods are type "rod" which has Equiv1 "blun" (itemtypes.txt) which means that indeed, all rod types are suitable for the hitpower weapon recipe.

The usual place a distinction is made between blunt weapons is with some runewords (eg Heart of the Oak). No runewords are actually defined on "blun" directly. Black is defined on "club, hamm, mace" specifically, HotO on "staf, mace" and Beast on "axe, scep, hamm", for example. If a word was defined on "blun" it would apply to all clubs, maces, hammers and rods.