Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Possible mid-level dueling barb?

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by Naheet, Apr 3, 2004.

1. Naheet

Naheet IncGamers Member

Possible mid-level dueling barb?

A while ago, I bought a Cruel Lance of Quickness from Larzuk in Hell. I socketed with two shaels, so its now one sick level 43 weapon.

I used it for PVM for awhile, using it all the way through nightmare.

but Ive been wondering about its uses for a mid level dueling barb. The level requirement is only 43, and it has decent damage (about 340ish). I thought the sick range and speed would make it an ideal dueling weapon.

But would going without a shield get me killed fast? Is it worth it?

Any idea of skills? (Whirlwind obviously)

2. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

My guess would be a quick death, within 10 levels of 43 (49 and 53 noteably) there are 1 hand weapons with higher damage than that two hand weapon, and while it is quite nice, i personally would think a melee mlder without a shield will not have a terribly long life. It could be good in a specalized build however. I dont think it will hold up against barbs or melee characters, however, if you made a barb with the sole intent of killing casters, it could work very well.
    You might hit 45 so you can use dwarfstar and raven (absorb and good resists)
    if you managed max resists, a little absorb, some good ww damage, highish life, you can obviously go with no blocking and no DR if you are purely designed to kill casters. Then again, if you are going all out to kill casters, might as well get to 49 and get a teleport amulet, it would be much more effective ;)

-Matt

3. Mr.Bogohossian

Mr.Bogohossian Banned

340 ish lance.. not very good at all. Heard of eth hone sundan? 3 soc 45 crushing blow 300 max damage.

4. Hakkapellito

Hakkapellito IncGamers Member

Firstly, Bogo, Hone only gets damage like that with a very high % roll.

Anyhow, that lance would work fine on a 2her 43-45, just don't duel any barbs that are 53+ and do NOT let them ww through you. I'd recommend Arreats, Shaft, and String, as that'd give you close to max DR with a good stat boost.

That lance has potential.

-Hakka

5. Naheet

Naheet IncGamers Member

I just looked at the damage, its actually 92 - 391.

I built a 45 barb with it, had around 1.8k life, using shaft, arreats, IK Belt/Gloves (Wanted the least amount of stats I needed for the lance, so I could pump vita. My skills were about 10 Spear mastery, Max BO, and the rest into whirlwind. An assassin who wanted to duel me fell pretty fast, level 50.

I got 1 hit killed by a 67 charger, after nearly killing him three times, but I was looted and I am rebuilding. How would I do versus 40ish barbs and paladins, druids?

Also thinking of making a 48 melee assassin. I Found a rare suwayah with 378% ed, level 48 required. Around 240ish max damage. Any ideas?

6. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

I think tucs blows it away, its other mods are just too much to pass up.
    1.8k life? Isint that a tad low at 48?
    Yeah... high level chargers can be nasty, a good ma sin owns them though, mind blast+dragon flight please :)

-Matt

7. Shadoway

Shadoway IncGamers Member

I strongly suggest you go with a shield. It will be suicide against WW barb and charge pally without blocking. I think an etheral legend socketed with "crescent moon" is a good weapon at about that level (47, to be exact). If you have a 200% roll (range is 180%-220%), you will have 90 to 252 one-hand damage and hit the last WW break point.

8. WillScoot

WillScoot IncGamers Member

Definite suicide. A 2h'er is mincemeat for any barb. On a sidenote, can someone do some quick calculations on an eth Kingslayer Balrog Blade for me?

9. NightShade

NightShade IncGamers Member

416.something 1handed damage.

10. WillScoot

Respectable. I might have to put together one of those since finding a new ethereal cruel balrog will be hard ><

BTW, thnx NS~

11. Hakkapellito

Hakkapellito IncGamers Member

I totally disagree with the "2h barb = suicide" mentality.

With any amount of ww skill, I can out range and out maneuver ANY 1h ww barb. Range 5 _easily_ beats range 3 9 times out of 10 in a lag-free environment. Another thing people overlook about 2h barbs is the fact that at max speed (which he has), he can obtain a maximum of 8 hits per ww, as opposed to the 6 of a max speed 1h range 3 barb.

As for charge pallys, just ww straight through them and hope for the best. If they score a hit, oh well, you're probably dead, but if not, they're toast. A two-handed charger is much worse off than a 2h wwer, and hopefully your first hit will interupt their charge - then they'll be sitting sucks.

As for against 1h ww barbs, be careful, be patient, and the KEY to winning is to outrange them. If you can hone your ww skills you'll be golden.

-Hakka

12. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

Yeah, with skill, hakka is 100% correct, you will die if you make mistakes, which are eventually going to happen, but its not suicide. I used to have the barb ww skills to beat nearly any ither, even the 1 hit ko ones when i barb dueled back in sc .09, but i havent made any pvp barbs in a long while, so im sure i wouldnt anymore, but i do know Hakka is correct...

-Matt

13. Shadoway

Balrog Blade is base 0, so cannot hit last breakpoint with Kingslayer. Got to use Highland Blade. Plus Highland has more durability.

14. WillScoot

True ... I'm in quite a predicament. Hakka you are correct with what you say, but let's be real, there are only a select few who know how to whirlwind. Every barb I've dueled has A) ran instead of walked, B) ww'd aimlessly giving me multiple free hits.

Also 75% block is a great feature to have. The 3 ed jewels usually put in shields also help even out the damage. My old balrog did more damage 1h than 2h.

15. Mr.Bogohossian

Mr.Bogohossian Banned

i have dueled a 2handed eth hone sundan ww barb. His crushing blow with gore is 60%. and thats a killer, with 3 shaels in it, he does max ww speed and hits my dueler 2-3 times per ww. with at least 500 damage per hit.

16. BreakThruX2

BreakThruX2 IncGamers Member

Great, i lost one of those on my throw baba, found an etheral one in nm cows. God damnit, i always loose good stuff. :(

17. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

Yes, i agree that most barbs dont know how to WW correctly.. breakthrux2, I guess it comes down to your skills. If you feel you can ww correctly, and avoid getting hit while still hitting them, then this barb could work, if you dont know how to ww correctly and USE your 5 range weapon to your advantage, then you should not use it on a pvper.
    Also, Willscoot, i presume you meant most barbs in GENERAL walked, not ran, because walking would not be an issue with a 2 hander, having no shield :)

-Matt

18. Naheet

Naheet IncGamers Member

Maybe I should get as much defense as possible then?

Before I made this thread i was sure id have to outrange most barbs, it would be really stupid not to take advantage of the big range on the lance.

I was warned not to fight any barbs at level 54, and I probably wont.

I dueled one hone sundan barb (non eth :( ) We exchanged whirls and he would leave at half life or so.

I'm going with as much life as possible. I dont have to put any point in dexterity. At level 45, I can equip raven(15), IK Gloves(20), and Arreats(20), along with a few charms, for the dexterity requirement on the lance. Only need 100 Strength as well.
    With some nice charms, I should be able to get 2-2.5k Life at that level, hopefully. I will have 30% DR (maybe more, depending if I use string) from shaft as well.

What kinds of characters am I likely to duel? (Im new dueling ;)

19. Shadoway

Naheet, I just realized that I have a rare legend sword with 89-232 one hand damage at level 48. It can reach the last breakpoint if shaeled. Nothing godly, but it is yours for free, if you choose that kind of build.

20. Naheet

Naheet IncGamers Member

If this lancer build doesn't work out, illl likely do that. I have an eth legend sword with 250% ed, Ill probably use that.

Thanks for the advice :)