Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

possible first built for new ladder, psn/summoner

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Darknicrofia, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Darknicrofia

Darknicrofia IncGamers Member

1st char for new ladder, psn/summon, need mf and built tips

with the ladder season coming to an end, any time now....*cough*....blizzard is lazy....*cough*..... i am thinking of making a psn/summoner as my first character to play with friends' sorcs of the 3 different elements, anyways, I was thinking since I will be starting out empty, this is what my built might look like
    max RS
    max SM
    max PSN Nova
    1 pt into pre-req skills
    1 pt into all curses
    1 pt into revive
    rest into Psn nova syenergies

this is not that great of a built, but I think it might be good as a first char on ladder starting out with nothing. also, what are some of the better places i can built up my wealth, I keep hearing ppl say do pit runs, and would that be the pit found in tamoe highland of act1 or the pits of act5.....never quite mfed before....please enlighten me

2. batuchka

batuchka IncGamers Member

Gee have no heard concrete news from Blizz about when ladder is ending :p When ladder resets a possibe first char to go with is a skellimancer/zookeper as they work fine with really low gear and you could item run in hell too ^^ Those pits you mentioned are the one at Tamoe Highlands. Your build looks hell viable but the poison nova dmg output won't be very high but i agree that with SM/RS it could work fine with a might merc and some revives tagging along :p Other places to item run would be Cows, Ancient Tunnels (Act 2, Lost City) , Travincaal, Memp, Shenk, Pindle, Eldritch, Threshsocket and all levels Worldstone.

p.s Oh ya picking up every flawless gem and cubing them to perfs could be a good way to start getting decent gear or even cubing charms :p

3. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

Assuming there isn't any patch that changes the skills/synergies around, I think pure summoner would be the best way to go for being untwinked.

4. rickcarson

rickcarson IncGamers Member

Best untwinked for ladder would be the builds I've been talking about.

Insight and Edge are obscene. Abuse them to the max.

5. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

I had a very similar build as a ladder starter during ladder season one (no revives though, I've found with skeletons I didn't need them), and I was very satisfied with it's results. It gets rid of the "boring" stigma that a pure summoner has (as you'll be running around casting nova, helping your army).

However, if you ever acquire a death's web, a "twinked version" of the build would probably look like this:

Max RS
    Max psn nova
    Max psn synergies
    1 pt all curses
    Rest into skeleton mastery

As your poison would be VERY powerful when death's web is added into the equation.

I would suggest if/when the ladder resets that you work toward getting the three piece trangs set (gloves, shield, and another piece, probably armor in the starter case, as it's cheaper, but the belt ideally) to have a decent boost to your poison damage (and a nice firewall).

6. Darknicrofia

I'll keep that in mind, but this built is only meant for acquiring wealth at the beginning of the season to get a enigma, hoto, maras, archs, and watknot for my hammerdin, who will be doing most of my mf-ing, and as for this character itself, I don't think i will be spending a majority of the time on it, if i do acquire a death's web, I would probably trade it for a enigma and hoto. but ty for the suggestions

7. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

You say that now, but my poison/skellymancers have been able to do area clears faster than any hammerdin I've seen.

8. newerest

newerest IncGamers Member

That and when ladder restarts, do you think that the prices would be the same?I think not. Even the dupers won't have the hr's yet.

9. Darknicrofia

but generally a hammerdin is what everyone uses to acquire rune wealth as it is very good in terms of doing hell rushes, a pure psn necro is good and im not saying otherwise, just that to make a decent one takes alot more money than making a hammerdin, to do hell rushes, all you would need is nigma, hoto, maras, archs, hoz, shako, an insight merc, and maybe anni and some pcombat gcs even though most rushing pallys dont even need those. but to make a psn necro to be able to do the same amount of work you will need ALOT more hi end items like death's web and pnb gcs which if the prices remain the way they are, will cost alot more than a standard hammerdin setup

10. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

With everybody starting from scratch you should be able to get that in no time. :D

Think about it. Enigma, Maras, HoTo, Arachnid's, and Heart of Zakarum are going to be godly and jealously guarded for the first couple of months if anyone aside from the botters (I hope that's dealt with) and e-bayers actually gets them that fast. The only truly expensive item a poisonmancer needs is Death's Web. Enigma is nice, but with 3 piece Trang's and my crappiest Death's Web possible (traded for Gul + Pul, much less than Enigma is worth even now) I kill entire massive clusters of Hell cows in just a few seconds. A hammerdin can kill them faster than most I'm sure but he'll have plenty of stragglers that he'll have to retreat from whereas massive hordes can be contained with skellies and curses and then quickly dispatched when that first one dies.

But then I wouldn't even recommend a poison/skelli to start. A Pure summoner only needs +skills which can be gambled for and resists which can be had from crappy charms and P Diamond shields. FCR, AR, high Def, and excessive mana reserves aren't even an issue for a summoner. Playing an untwinked Summoner can be a tough haul at first but I can't think of any character that will be as effective at MFing before the elite gear starts becoming acquirable and even then skelliemancers can become amazingly godly with the right stuff.

My plan is to use a summoner to get a high level character and then use him to help get what I need for a sorc that can do boss runs for uniques while relying on him to get good socketable items when runes start becoming available again. I think the important first step will simply be to have characters that can actually get TO the bosses by themselves at first with a decent amount of MF in order to acquire gear for characters that can kill bosses fast.

11. HarbingersOfSkulls

HarbingersOfSkulls IncGamers Member

First of all if your going to use PN...then both PD and PE should be maxxed as well...So instead of maxxing mazstery right away trying doing something like this instead:

SM-1
    RS-20
    PN-20
    PE-20
    PD-20
    Curses-1 pt in all
    Gumby-1
    SR-1
    Revives-1
    Other golems-1 (except for fire)
    *Rest of your points into SM*

The reason for this:

A summoner is the best way to start the game with...and with just a few +skills to boost SM ( I use a 3 skeleton/3 mastery/1 amp starter wand)...makes the skeletons effective enough to handle all of norm and NM just like that...and alllows you to the focus on maxxing all the poison skills without any problems.

That's how my last 2 ladder mf builds have started...and have worked just fine...even if you can'f find a wand like that form the old witch in act1...and +3 skeleton wand will work fine.

HoS

12. CalloftheHaunted

CalloftheHaunted IncGamers Member

Im also goin psn/summoner good luck :thumbsup:

13. Doll Call

Doll Call IncGamers Member

a twinked venom-mancer will be a lot cheaper then any hammerdin, especially after a ladder reset.
    since the only expensive things you need are enigma, maras, and web... versus a hammderins hoz, hoto, maras, enigma. although the gear is relatively the same in price... but the GCs are night and day... differing by about an ist a shot... pally coms are obscenely expensive... but i can ususally pick up pnbs for mal each. heh i got a 39 lifer for like 2HR... i was very pleased with that. and i got a 3/3/3 178% df for ists =)