Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Positive real life aspects of Diablo II obsession..

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Youma, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Youma

Youma IncGamers Member

Positive real life aspects of Diablo II obsession..

1) I myself have played, loved and lost 14 hardcore characters, the last one just minutes ago (lvl69). The first few left me crying (not litterally), as their great futures had been stolen from me. The following stayed alive long enough for me to be emotionally attached to them, which left me in even more agony. With the last few though, I have started to accept their deaths as a part of the game. I feel sad, but I don't dwell on it

Long boring story, here comes the point. Six months ago, I missread a note, thinking I had been expelled from my university. A year earlier I would have gone into a month long state of denial, followed by alcoholism and mild insanity. Instead it took me a mere half hour to accept my new life as a grunt in some factory, thinking that life goes on..

2) Read on blizzard.com some time ago that a couple that had met through D2 were getting married. Whatever one might think about people falling in love while participating in the greatest slaughter in the history of mankind, there can't be many places online where you could more easilly and accurately judge a character...

Let's try to get to "5)" atleast!

2. Wuhan_Clan

Wuhan_Clan IncGamers Member

Not to be a pessimist but on issue # ...

1.) How exactly is this a positive real life aspect of D2? So you are more accepting of HC char deaths. How is that a good thing in real life?

2.) So fate/chance had it so that 2 people meet and get married. People meet in all kinds of ways though playing D2 would be one of the last places I'd look. The game might have made them meet, but it didn't make them fall in love (if it did then they are some creepy people). However, because it was chance, you can't really say that this is a positive aspect of D2 since there is always a potential of finding a partner/lover/soul-mate while doing anything.

Ok, on second thought, maybe I am a pessimist. But seriously, other then entertaining myself for a few hours now and then, I don't see how playing computer games could have a positive impact on real life.

3. Ridureyu

Ridureyu IncGamers Member

Just to play devil's advocate and agree with him:

1: Going through a ton of minor tragedies helps you learn to cope when the big ones come around.

2: On the internet, people can have the freedom to show what scumbags they really are.

4. Ferrous

Ferrous IncGamers Member

I'll add a point myself.

If you've ever read "King Lear" or "Moby Dick", you'd understand the concept of hypos, a deep depression that lends to a singular obsession. Just coming out of such a deep depression, D2 was helpful in helping me get my mind off of the subjects at hand for a while. Sometimes that's what people need.

5. Ifrit18

Ifrit18 Banned

Hehe you stop worrying about that homework assignment when you find a death's fathom in the pits real fast.

6. SHAOC

SHAOC Banned

You are very right. I think that this is the smartest thing I read all night.

7. Youma

Youma IncGamers Member

Seriously guys, this is a computer game, don't expect me to come up with good arguments. : )

Allso, acting nice on a regular forum costs you nothing, acting nice in D2 costs you time and items.

8. Bakerking31

Bakerking31 IncGamers Member

ohhh ohhh i got a positive aspect ... it saves money ... i could be out having an actual life, but instead im at home on my laptop playing till 3 in the morning. it definatly has saved me alot of money that i could have spent on going to the movies/strip clubs/*fill in the blank with jus bout anythin*