Portable MP3 Players

Bortaz

Banned
Portable MP3 Players

If a fellow wanted a portable MP3 player, and doesn't really need one that holds 10000 songs, which would you all recommend?

Basically, I walk around a parking lot at work (security), and would like a small, unobtrusive player that would hold 5-6 hours worth of music or podcasts. Of course, I guess I'd want it to hold more than I'd initially thought, or I'd be stuck listening to the same songs all the time, wouldn't I?

How many songs will a 1 or 2 GB player hold?

Also, it needs to be compatible with Windows ME.

How much do these players generally cost?

Further, to use iTunes, do you have to buy all your music? Can I rip a CD I own and put the files on the player? Can I put downloaded music on them?

Thanks for any knowledge you impart here.

Hatsepsut

Banned
There's plenty of cheap ones around these days...I use an old one from Jens of Sweden (doesn't exist anymore) that's only 128 mB but it works just fine for me. One standard length track is typically around 3-6 mB so, you do the math :p

rare

Diabloii.Net Member
I have one of the old iPod shuffles, and it's great. of course no video, but it's sturdy as hell. I've fallen asleep on it, leaned on it for several hours, accidentally sat on it, and dropped it/thrown it countless times. It's small so that I forget its there and it does what its supposed to do. I dont mind at all that it doesnt have a screen; I already know what I have in there and I dont need to look at the song name on a little screen. And a screen is just 1 more thing that could break.

It's only 512mb, but holds a bit over 100 songs and according to a little bar in itunes I can have up to 7-8 hours of music.

Itunes, i am pretty sure, is compatible with ME. I do not remember how much my ipod cost, but just go to apple.com and the prices should be easy to find.

all you need itunes for is to transfer the music to your ipod. Theres of course other ways to do it but itunes is just drag and drop, or right click "add to ipod"

You can rip cds onto your computer using itunes, but i've never done it and just use win media player. As long as you have any sort of music file on your computer (whether from a CD, flashdrive, SD card, Mem stick, or from Limewire) it will work. Just find where you have all those songs, drag them over to itunes while its on your "library." Once theyre all there just re-drag them to the left toolbar where your ipod should be listed, and theyll transfer.

Hatsepsut

Banned
Well there's some funky formats out there now that I don't know my way around yet, but there's always convertion possibilities, just takes a bit of extra work.

Bortaz

Banned
Groovy, thanks for the information so far. I looked up iTunes, and it said it requires Windows 2000 or XP. That was for iTunes 7. Think older versions of it would be compatible with ME?

EDIT: Boo!

Windows system requirements for Nano and Shuffle.

* PC with USB port
* Windows 2000 with Service Pack 4 or later or Windows XP Home or Professional with Service Pack 2 or later
* iTunes 7.0.2 or later(3)

Hatsepsut

Banned
No idea. I wouldn't get a player that requires any kind of additional software myself. Mine just plugs into the usb then drag and drop. Hmm, sorry can't be more helpful here ;)

Bortaz

Banned
No idea. I wouldn't get a player that requires any kind of additional software myself. Mine just plugs into the usb then drag and drop. Hmm, sorry can't be more helpful here ;)
Well, that sounds good. Maybe I need to research something other than an iPod, eh?

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Your next problem is finding 10,000 songs you would actually want to listen to. I'd be lucky to find 500.

rare

Diabloii.Net Member
Groovy, thanks for the information so far. I looked up iTunes, and it said it requires Windows 2000 or XP. That was for iTunes 7. Think older versions of it would be compatible with ME?

EDIT: Boo!

Windows system requirements for Nano and Shuffle.

* PC with USB port
* Windows 2000 with Service Pack 4 or later or Windows XP Home or Professional with Service Pack 2 or later
* iTunes 7.0.2 or later(3)
Ah well that stinks.

But, yeah definitely look at something other than an ipod. I simply mentioned it because I have mine and I've found it very convenient.

I guess my general advice would be to get something not too flashy -- it's going to be in your pocket the entire time i would assume.

Bortaz

Banned
Yeah, it'll be in my pocket while I walk around/ride around in a golf cart/stand around bored titless.

Pitboss_2000

Diabloii.Net Member
I think the average song (so no 15 minute Meatloaf rock-operas), on average quality, takes up 4-5 MBs as an mp3, so you'd be able to fit somewhere between 200-250 songs on a 1gig player?

rare

Diabloii.Net Member
512 fits roughly 100 songs, average length as you say.

So 200-220 would sound about right

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
I had similar problems with iTunes because it also doesn't support Windows 98. Lousy bastards.

rare

Diabloii.Net Member
I had similar problems with iTunes because it also doesn't support Windows 98. Lousy bastards.
o.o

Did that surprise you, or did you just want to set yourself up for disappointment when trying to install a current-century piece of software on a last-century OS.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
I install heaps of things just fine, it's only ****ty companies like Microsoft and Apple that refuse to let you run their software.