Pope says Muslims are violent....

jackthelad

Diabloii.Net Member
Pope says Muslims are violent....

....Muslims react violently.

Well, not yet, but we can all see where this is going *cough* Mohammed cartoons *cough*

There is a phrase that sums this up I think, something to do with proving what someone has said by your actions, but I forget what it is. Bet the Pope is thinking 'Told you so' too.

Main article.

Thyiad

Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian
jackthelad said:
. There is a phrase that sums this up I think, something to do with proving what someone has said by your actions, but I forget what it is.
Self-fulfilling prophecy clicky Told you so works for me. I think ANY strong convictions that border on "I am always right, don't dare disagree with me" is asking for trouble. And that goes for Islam, Christians of any variety, abortion, animal rights pick your topic.

WildBerry

Diabloii.Net Member
HAMC8112 said:
Who does this Pope think he is, doesnt he know your not allowed to talk about moslims.
He wasn't actually even talking about Moslems. I think what got to them was making clear slanders at their Prophet and then trying to veil it under the headline of "reasonable discussion". He did say, (the whole speech here ) after all: "Show me just what Mohammed brought that was new, and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached." Granted, this was quoting Manuel II, but clearly meant to have contemporary value.

Imagine Smeg trying to justify his rants by appealing to "intention is to cultivate a position of respect and dialogue towards other religions and cultures" as Federico Lombardi put it, and you might be getting at the irritative part herein.

HAMC8112

Diabloii.Net Member
Manuel II said:
"Show me just what Mohammed brought that was new, and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached."
Seems correct to me.

Or am i supposed to say: Oh, muslims are so peacefull?

Ariadne

Diabloii.Net Member
HAMC8112 said:
Seems correct to me.

Or am i supposed to say: Oh, muslims are so peacefull?
Some muslims are violent idiots who use religion as an excuse to satisfy their ego -
Some christians are violent idiots who use their religion as an excuse to satisfy their ego.

It's all the same. People matter, not their conviction. I've known rather rude and violent Christians, who said "it is Gods will now comply" aswell as peacefull Muslims who do not agree with violent "Muslims".
It's always about people.

HAMC8112

Diabloii.Net Member
Vivi said:
Some muslims are violent idiots who use religion as an excuse to satisfy their ego -
Some christians are violent idiots who use their religion as an excuse to satisfy their ego.

It's all the same. People matter, not their conviction. I've known rather rude and violent Christians, who said "it is Gods will now comply" aswell as peacefull Muslims who do not agree with violent "Muslims".
It's always about people.
Nope, the point was did Muhamed tell his people to spread the Islam religion by the sword?

Apparantly he did so Muslims around the world can stop their hypocritical whining.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
HAMC8112 said:
Nope, the point was did Muhamed tell his people to spread the Islam religion by the sword?

Apparantly he did so Muslims around the world can stop their hypocritical whining.
I have yet to see proof of this claim. Mind you seeing as there is no authoritative English translation of the Koran they can always wriggle out of it.

HAMC8112 said:
There has been plenty in the last years, or is that not so in your world?
I mean in retaliation for the Pope's speech, of course. Jackthelad said they "reacted violently" but none of his links mentioned anything of the sort.

Carnage-DVS

Diabloii.Net Member
I think Hamc should be banned from talking in threads about Islam. Along with PublicEnemy. Those two tag teams bring ignorance to a whole new level.

The pope did a good job sticking his foot in his mouth. Maybe he should concentrate on his other duties, like, I don't know, hushing up altar boy scandals, condemning abortion, and railing against homosexuality. God knows he's not doing much to help promote the cause of peace.

HAMC8112

Diabloii.Net Member
Carnage-DVS said:
I think Hamc should be banned from talking in threads about Islam. Along with PublicEnemy. Those two tag teams bring ignorance to a whole new level.
What about freedom of speech?

The pope did a good job sticking his foot in his mouth. Maybe he should concentrate on his other duties, like, I don't know, hushing up altar boy scandals, condemning abortion, and railing against homosexuality.
I see, the Pope is banned from speaking aswell.

God knows he's not doing much to help promote the cause of peace.
A) Promoting peace is not his job.
B) Maybe the Pope knows God better than you, after all, he speaks for him.

Merick

Diabloii.Net Member
He was quoting someone else to make a point about how holy wars are stupid. How on earth does that mean he think Muslims are violent? If I quote Hitler to make a point about genocide does it mean I hate Jews? I'm sick of people rioting over the silliest misunderstandings.

Sokar Rostau

Diabloii.Net Member
Am I the only one that sees the hipocracy of quoting a fourteenth century Byzantine Emporer to demonstrate the character of Muslims?

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
HAMC8112 said:
What about freedom of speech?
*Vomits all over HAM's Treads of Cthon*

HAMC8112 said:
I see, the Pope is banned from speaking aswell.
No, but just like everyone else if he does say something stupid he's subject to ridicule. That's the other side of free speech.

Merick said:
He was quoting someone else to make a point about how holy wars are stupid. How on earth does that mean he think Muslims are violent? If I quote Hitler to make a point about genocide does it mean I hate Jews? I'm sick of people rioting over the silliest misunderstandings.
I read the original text from before and to be honest I couldn't tell what he meant by it. He is a rambling old man, after all.

jackthelad

Diabloii.Net Member
To be fair Dondrei I did say

Me said:
....Well, not yet....
Tho I appreciate your fastidious & thorough policing of the forums!

Apparently he is sorry, but a bit worryingly, not for what he actually said, just that he caused offence: as outlined here
The Article said:
"It would've been better if he'd said the views of the emperor no way accorded with his. There is still a concern that he has not repudiated the views of the emperor."

llad12

Diabloii.Net Member
Pope said:
"God is not pleased by blood and not acting reasonably is contrary to God's nature... Whoever would lead someone to faith needs the ability to speak well and to reason properly, without violence and threats.
Taken out of context, I saw a correlation with Dubya ... :azn: