Poor man's pit/cows poison nova necro

TheGuardianXXXIII

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm working on a poor-man's pit/cows pnova necro who's main goal is farming runes and socketables (and EXP). I do not have an Enigma yet, and i do not have a Death's Web yet. So compared to the beasts in the Hall of Records and the RFO's, this build is going to be sad. That said, I do enjoy the playstyle of the pnova necros and so i'm looking at re-specing my current not-quite-Patriarch-yet Fishymancer into this style, mostly because playing a summoner without Enigma gets very annoying, plus back in the old days when i used to play (pre-synergies), poisonmancers, despite looking cool as hell, sucked tremendously. I'd love to rock out a poison nova necro :D. I plan to take a few things i learned from my poor-man's berserker (Patriarch Maximus) build, who also lacked Enigma and some high end pieces. The biggest 2 things I learned from that, is movement speed is one of the biggest improvements to Effiency & Adjusted Eff scores when you don't have teleport, and increasing your item drops (hork) per run is single handedly the biggest factor (assuming your kill speed and survivability baseline are met). I'm assuming that will also be the case here with the necromancer. I've also read all of the threads from Gripphon, ffs, and other guys talking about their cow/pits necros, so trying to incorporate that info as well, in context with my lack of high end gear.

That said, I am looking at incorporating 3pc Trang's to take advantage of the +40% FRW and -25% EPR features, to help make up for no Enigma and no Dweb, and playing on p7 full screen clears to increase item drops. Any input on how to tweak or make this better would be appreciated.

==Gear==
Head: Shako. Would love a 2/20FCR necro circlet if i can find one (teleport charges would be a dream).
Neck: 2necro/+life magic ammy (would love to get a 2/10FCR caster ammy, 3PB/xx or mara's, but don't have yet).
Chest: Trang's Scales
Weapon1: Spirit sword (will make a HOTO soon as i get another Gul or Vex).
Shield1: Trang's Wing
Weapon2: CTA (+3 BO)
Shield2: Spirit Monarch
Gloves: Trang's Claws
Ring1: SoJ
Ring2: misc utility (would run an FCR ring if it would hit next BP, but lack that atm).
Belt: Upped Nightsmoke (currently looking at better options; i don't have Arachnid's.. looking at Verdungo's (life and %DR) or Trang's (CBF + 4pc bonuses)
Boots: Aldur's.
Charms - i only have 1 PB skiller. I'm mostly using fRez/lRez sc's and +17-20 life sc's. I might throw in some FRW charms if survivability is ok.

This gets me +80% FRW without charms, +8 all skills including CTA, +3PB/+2Summ/+2Curses, and -25%EPR. HoTO will solve a lot, mainly the lack of FCR and more +skills. Just need that Gul/Vex rune soon!

==Merc==
Typical budget setup..
Thresher Insight (still hunting for an Eth one)
Eth Duriel's shell (Looking at putting Treachery on him, but really like CBF)
Tal's Mask (no Andy's). Also have Eth Stealskull & Crown of Theives.

==Skills==

20 Corpse Explosion
20 Poison Nova
20 Pdagger
20 Pexplosion
1 Bone Armor

1 in SM, RS, cGolem, golem mastery*, sMages, bGolem, iGolem, sResist, Revive

1 Amp, Dim, Weaken, Terror, Decrepify, LT, IM, Lower Resist

This takes me to level **. so last 2+ points i'm not sure where to put them. Some thoughts on that:

- Leaning on Golem Mastery for a little tougher Iron Golem. I'm probably going to make him out of some kind of slows/crushing blow item i have spares of. Hun Sondan or IK maul.. Bonesnap.. etc.

- Bone armor synergy sound nice vs. Archers, tho not sure it's worth the few extra points vs. low return.

- Lower Resist or Amp for extra radius (considering lack of FCR) and extra -EPR.

==Other thoughts==
I'm kind of torn on the Trang's 3pc vs. a higher FCR/+Skills setup with Spirit Monarch shield, Skin of the Viper Magi (or +2 arkaine's valor). I think considering I don't have Enigma, the lower FCR won't be as big of a deal. I'd really like to hit 75 though. I also think the -25% EPR will do more than the additional +skills, considering the lack of Death's Web. The biggest hit will be curse & CE radius. Though Trang's wing +2 PB helps offset the CE skills.

Playstyle I'll likely have to do the "cast LR -> cast pNova -> Cast Amp soon as they're green -> spam CE" due to no Death's Web. I imagine with a dweb it's probably a lot more efficient to just cast Amp -> pNova -> CE spam soon as first body hits. That would also free up quite a few points into LR prereq's. My understanding is pits/cows have no poison Immunes (except the rare boss mod combo). Would LR still be needed to break those or is it better to skip?

I'll be using Revives to tank. Probably a few archer revives for extra ranged dps and they'll stay out of the way. Maybe a couple skeles, but they tend to get in the way of Merc in my fishy build. We'll see how that works out.

Any input on how to tweak or make this better would be appreciated! Thanks for reading.

galtwish

Diabloii.Net Member
"White" wand in a +3 Poison Nova wand is a pretty good substitute.
"Obedience" or "Crescent Moon" thresher on the merc, Stealskull/Crown of Thieves/Tal's, Duriel's Shell. You probably don't need the mana regen.

I got tired of muling IK Mauls, so I just stick with Clay Golem now.

Here's my budget GF/socketable Pit PNova necro, made from spare bits I have collected over the years
Character name : The_Stinker
Character type : Necromancer
Character level : 87
Character exp : 1301178536

Strength : 60
Energy : 25
Dexterity : 241
Vitality : 199

Life : 731 / 602
Mana : 219 / 197
Stamina : 439 / 349

White
Bone Wand
'DolIo'
One-Hand Damage: 3 to 7
Durability: 14 of 15
Required Level: 35
Staff Class - Fast Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 69
Fingerprint: 0xc1d91a29
+10 to Vitality
+13 to Mana
Magic Damage Reduced by 4
20% Faster Cast Rate
+3 to Life Tap (Necromancer Only)
+1 to Golem Mastery (Necromancer Only)
+4 to Skeleton Mastery (Necromancer Only)
+2 to Bone Spear (Necromancer Only)
+3 to Poison Nova (Necromancer Only)
+3 to Bone Armor (Necromancer Only)
Hit Causes Monster to Flee 25%
150% Damage to Undead
+3 to Poison and Bone Skills (Necromancer Only)

Homunculus
+20 to Energy
+193% Enhanced Defense
+40% Increased Chance of Blocking
Regenerate Mana 33%
All Resistances +40
+36 poison damage over 2 seconds
+2 to Necromancer Skill Levels
30% Faster Block Rate
+5 to Mana After Each Kill
+2 to Curses (Necromancer Only)
100% Chance to cast Level 23 Venom When You Level Up
+3% to Poison Skill Damage
-5% to Enemy Poison Resistance
Socketed (1: 1 used)
Rainbow Facet
Jewel
Required Level: 49
Item Level: 85
Fingerprint: 0xf40fff27
+36 poison damage over 2 seconds
100% Chance to cast Level 23 Venom When You Level Up
+3% to Poison Skill Damage
-5% to Enemy Poison Resistance

Dwarf Star x2
Trang-Oul's Claws
Fungal Grand Charm x5
Gheed's Fortune 158%/27%/12%

Goldskin w/Ruby Jewel of Freedom
Fire Resist +21%
Requirements -15%

The_Stinker's Venomous Coronet of Wealth
+8 to Strength
+3 to Energy
84% Extra Gold from Monsters
Socketed (1: 1 used)
Skull Whorl
Jewel
+8 to Strength
+3 to Energy
12% Extra Gold from Monsters

Hailstone Harness Mesh Belt
+29 to Life
+74% Enhanced Defense
Lightning Resist +26%
Cold Resist +20%
79% Extra Gold from Monsters
Required Level +5
10% Faster Hit Recovery

Spirit Greaves Light Plated Boots
Fire Resist +37%
Lightning Resist +35%
Cold Resist +9%
21% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
20% Faster Run/Walk
12% Chance to cast Level 4 Charged Bolt when struck

Venomous Amulet of the Mind
+6 to Energy

Switch:
Golemlord's Grim Wand
+3 to Fire Golem (Necromancer Only)
+3 to Summoning Skills (Necromancer Only)

Graverobber's Gargoyle Head
+1 to Raise Skeletal Mage (Necromancer Only)
+2 to Attract (Necromancer Only)
+3 to Golem Mastery (Necromancer Only)
+1 to Summoning Skills (Necromancer Only)

Timinator

Diabloii.Net Member
While you do say this is poor mans, watch out for those rune drops. When you get an Ohm and a Sur, consider a Bramble

Friiser

Diabloii.Net Member
Nicely done, I like the idea (especially with some new SPF members), and some good suggestions galtwish.

One bit I'd like to comment on... in my opinion the three pieces of Trang's isn't that easy to get. At least anecdotally it was a while in my D2 experience before I found the Wing (necro shrunken head - cantor trophy), which I think is the hardest to find, followed by the armor. One can easily go through the entire game and beat Baal in hell without finding a single set piece of Trang-Oul.

Vipermagi is easier to get and probably a good start for the poor-mans build along with the dual spirit or a solid rare necro head with good + to skills. Another thing to consider on the spirit shield is the strength requirement for the monarch, those points may be better spent elsewhere (Vit or Dex) and go with a necro head. :)

Ghonn

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm running almost exactly the same gear setup with my poisonmancer all the way to upgraded Nightsmoke, except for the CtA, skillers and SoJ which I have not yet acquired. He just hit level 62 and got Shako on. Just a few more levels for Mara's. I haven't got Arach either, so I'm considering Trang's belt as soon as I can wear it. CBF is quite nice! Am also thinking of switching out Trang's chest piece for something else although this lightning speed Usain Bolt necro is actually very pleasant.If I lose a frw breakpoint, I'm not going to do it.

Gameplay was tedious until mid thirties when poison nova finally started to slowly do something, and now at early sixties at late nightmare this character is a blast to play. Nova + lower res wrecks everything apart. Not really looking forward to encountering hell yet, though... That's going to slow me down quite a bit. Fun character!

TheGuardianXXXIII

Diabloii.Net Member
"White" wand in a +3 Poison Nova wand is a pretty good substitute.
"Obedience" or "Crescent Moon" thresher on the merc, Stealskull/Crown of Thieves/Tal's, Duriel's Shell. You probably don't need the mana regen.

I got tired of muling IK Mauls, so I just stick with Clay Golem now.
A "White" wand is definitely on my radar, but unfortunately i haven't had any luck with shopping or finding a decent base. Really looking for something w/ +3 PN as you said, and also +1 Lower Res, which would save a couple skill points worth of pre-req's that i never use. It kind of comes down to what i find first.. a Gul/Vex for HoTO or a good base for White.

I'll check into those other options for Merc. While i don't -need- the mana from Insight, i got a practically perfect roll on this one and it has really nice damage for not being ethereal. If I rememer right, i think its' max damage is 750 or such not to mention the high +crit roll. I think it rolled 255% ED, +6 Crit, 16 meditation aura, and +230% AR bonus. My best Insight ever. And now that i've gotten used to the endless mana and not needing mana potions it will be hard to go back lol.

While you do say this is poor mans, watch out for those rune drops. When you get an Ohm and a Sur, consider a Bramble
I've considered it, but at this point any Sur runes will be going to Enigma no questions! LOL. I have several builds all waiting for that Enigma armor, and i've never owned an Enigma, so it's pretty much my #1 d2 goal right now :D

Nicely done, I like the idea (especially with some new SPF members), and some good suggestions galtwish.

One bit I'd like to comment on... in my opinion the three pieces of Trang's isn't that easy to get. At least anecdotally it was a while in my D2 experience before I found the Wing (necro shrunken head - cantor trophy), which I think is the hardest to find, followed by the armor. One can easily go through the entire game and beat Baal in hell without finding a single set piece of Trang-Oul.

Vipermagi is easier to get and probably a good start for the poor-mans build along with the dual spirit or a solid rare necro head with good + to skills. Another thing to consider on the spirit shield is the strength requirement for the monarch, those points may be better spent elsewhere (Vit or Dex) and go with a necro head. :)
Very good points. I've done a ton of Andy/Meph/Diablo/Baal/Pindle farming on my fireorb sorc to start out building wealth, so i have a decent collection of the more common uniques/sets. I don't have any of the high end ones like Arachs, dweb, dfathom, etc, but i've been lucky enough to find Trang's armor/shield, so i thought i'd try to build my "budget" build around the +40% FRW, +25% PSD, and -25EPR features of the 3 pcs.

I would agree that Viper Magi and dual Spirit is definitely more budget friendly and much easier to get, and possibly better overall. I'm still trying to run the numbers and theorycraft on which setup is better. Really Trang's belt would be better than Chest for overall power, and dual spirit + viper offers more +skills, more FCR, more FHR, more Res, more life... but i'm really interested in the +40% FRW for run efficiency (no teleport). My aim is to have just enough FCR and survivability and really tune up the speed of the runs to get the seconds per boss/monsters killed down low. For a non-teleporter, the travel time is the biggest time sink, hence my thought of trying out the chest piece. It will be interesting to see if +40% extra FRW and the -25EPR makes up for the loss of the other stats.

I'm running almost exactly the same gear setup with my poisonmancer all the way to upgraded Nightsmoke, except for the CtA, skillers and SoJ which I have not yet acquired. He just hit level 62 and got Shako on. Just a few more levels for Mara's. I haven't got Arach either, so I'm considering Trang's belt as soon as I can wear it. CBF is quite nice! Am also thinking of switching out Trang's chest piece for something else although this lightning speed Usain Bolt necro is actually very pleasant.If I lose a frw breakpoint, I'm not going to do it.

Gameplay was tedious until mid thirties when poison nova finally started to slowly do something, and now at early sixties at late nightmare this character is a blast to play. Nova + lower res wrecks everything apart. Not really looking forward to encountering hell yet, though... That's going to slow me down quite a bit. Fun character!
Nice! I actually just made the CTA.. finally got the last Gul i needed to cube up to the Ohm. It's been really nice having that :D Found my skiller in LK runs w/ Sorc, and my SoJ off qbugged Andy. I ran her A LOT (both on NM and Hell) for that SoJ. Hell Andy has a pretty nice drop table for those of us who are starting fresh without a lot of wealth, and with qbug her drops are always nice and shiny. i would definitely recommend farming her if you have a sorc!

Oh, and the FRW breakpoints are just 5% increments, so pretty much every piece of gear will be several BP's of FRW. The only ones that aren't are charms which go in 3% increments, so you'd need 2 sc's to hit the next BP.

Do you have issues with your run speed glitching out your merc/minions or does it actually help get them to "leash" back to you ? My fishymancer has issues with those idiots doing their own thing. I was using teleport charges from a circlet i have, but it was just too expensive (and annoying) to bother with repairing/cubing those charges back.

I leveled this guy as a Fishymancer so i didn't get to experience the early tedium that you went through. He's level 70 i think right now working through Hell (just hit Outer Cloister last night). Although i will say, that there have been times i really wished i had poison nova instead of a bunch of weak skeletons lol. Once i work out all my theory crafting on this pits/cow pNova build, i'll respec him. I may just finish hell and kill baal as a fishymancer first though since it's so safe.

galtwish

Diabloii.Net Member
I've got a couple freebies here if you like. You should probably put up a trader profile to keep it kosher.

Yew Wand
One-Hand Damage: 2 to 8
Durability: 11 of 15
Required Level: 30
Staff Class - Slow Attack Speed
Item Level: 49
Fingerprint: 0xd91e1477
+2 to Lower Resist (Necromancer Only)
+2 to Poison Nova (Necromancer Only)
+2 to Poison Explosion (Necromancer Only)
150% Damage to Undead

White
The_Stinker's Petrified Wand
'DolIo'
One-Hand Damage: 8 to 24
Durability: 14 of 15
Required Strength: 25
Required Level: 35
Staff Class - Slow Attack Speed
Item Level: 81
Fingerprint: 0xdea7fbb2
+10 to Vitality
+13 to Mana
Magic Damage Reduced by 4
20% Faster Cast Rate
+3 to Poison Nova (Necromancer Only)
+2 to Bone Spear (Necromancer Only)
+3 to Bone Armor (Necromancer Only)
+4 to Skeleton Mastery (Necromancer Only)
Hit Causes Monster to Flee 25%
150% Damage to Undead
Socketed (2: 2 used)

ffs

Diabloii.Net Member
Some good suggestions above re budget gear. Couple further considerations: As with any Necro, most damage comes from CE – even with top end gear. Whatever build you choose, it’s basically "only" to support CE. Because of that, Merc gear has a massive effect on overall clear speed. So the first thing IMO will be to make the best possible Insight for him (high CS and ED mods). Any elite eth polearm will do, in fact the slower ones often provide higher DPS depending on his IAS breakpoint. Usually it’s faster to only use AD (no LR before CEs) because it again helps with that first corpse to start the CE chain.

Good luck!

Luhkoh

Diabloii.Net Member
Niiice. I'm trying to do this same thing. I also had a fishymancer before my restart and thought he was fun to play but felt so slow and unwieldy without teleport. I started a necro as my second character after this restart and am questing as untwinked bone necro (trangs gloves just dropped from dark elder in nm!), and that's been very fun so far. Planning to go to poison after patriarch. I'll be following your build with interest. I definitely had thought of trangs glove, belt, shield and vipermagi as the way to go, but you make a good point about the frw. If you test out both, definitely let me know. I'll be trying pits and cows soon enough! I also don't think there are breakpoints for frw. So the more the merrier. And also, I was thinking I'd need to stick to p3 or p5 without infinity. Does amp+ce still clear fast at p7 without conviction? Also I wouldn't be surprised if spirit monarch is the way to go, but a head is way cooler :p I'll be hoping for trangs shield or homunculus.

TheGuardianXXXIII

Diabloii.Net Member
Some good suggestions above re budget gear. Couple further considerations: As with any Necro, most damage comes from CE – even with top end gear. Whatever build you choose, it’s basically "only" to support CE. Because of that, Merc gear has a massive effect on overall clear speed. So the first thing IMO will be to make the best possible Insight for him (high CS and ED mods). Any elite eth polearm will do, in fact the slower ones often provide higher DPS depending on his IAS breakpoint. Usually it’s faster to only use AD (no LR before CEs) because it again helps with that first corpse to start the CE chain.

Good luck!
I'll have to see how my sorc's merc's eth cryptic axe compares and maybe swap sticks.

So do you think going with amp right off the bat, even without the huge -epr from a dweb or the teleport to position merc for quicker kill, is still the way to go? I'm mostly thinking about how derpy my merc can be while waiting for the first body to drop. Not going into lower resist could save 3-4 skill points. Although having LR to break certain immunes could still be the best use of those points..

Btw your posts and I believe it was your YouTube channel was a big source of inspiration for this character. Nihilthak runs doing the LR > PNOVA > AMP> CE combo with lightning fast save/exits lol.

Timinator

Diabloii.Net Member
I very much understand the desire for Enigma! I think I did all of mine before the odds got improved to where they are now. I got my first Ber from hellforge rushing (many hours). Next was LK and cubing things up. Finally i had a BER drop I think in LK. It was a great feeling to finally make it. Questing through the jungle in act 3, arcane sanctuary, maggot lair in hell is MUCH better with the opportunity to just teleport for a non sorceress!

FYI for myself I will do a Bramble one day .. but I'm going for a BETA one .. harder to do but so much more powerful

TheGuardianXXXIII

Diabloii.Net Member
Niiice. I'm trying to do this same thing. I also had a fishymancer before my restart and thought he was fun to play but felt so slow and unwieldy without teleport. I started a necro as my second character after this restart and am questing as untwinked bone necro (trangs gloves just dropped from dark elder in nm!), and that's been very fun so far. Planning to go to poison after patriarch. I'll be following your build with interest. I definitely had thought of trangs glove, belt, shield and vipermagi as the way to go, but you make a good point about the frw. If you test out both, definitely let me know. I'll be trying pits and cows soon enough! I also don't think there are breakpoints for frw. So the more the merrier. And also, I was thinking I'd need to stick to p3 or p5 without infinity. Does amp+ce still clear fast at p7 without conviction? Also I wouldn't be surprised if spirit monarch is the way to go, but a head is way cooler :p I'll be hoping for trangs shield or homunculus.
Right on man!

I quested all through the game on p7 or p8 as a fishy, mostly killing everything with CE. I'm only in act1 hell @ level 70 right now though, so we'll see as we go on. It just takes a couple more bodies on the higher P setting. In open areas it was ez pz and fast. It is the more closed areas that it can be tedious/slow going. When i was using my teleport circlet it was actually quite easy to get bodies. I just got annoyed w/ the repair/recharge of that and stopped using it. I'm finding that unsummoning a bunch of the skeles actually helps to speed things up, since merc is less impeded by them and can actually get to killing easier. You lose some safety from less meat shields, but gain a lot more offense. In nightmare i never had any troubles. It was actually easier than normal with some of the gear i had for those earlier levels (vipermagi, Spirit + lidless, SoJ, Lore helm). WSK in nightmare was a cake walk.. it was open enough that my giant army of skeles and deathlord/succy revives just tore through everything and i never got touched. Baal on P8 was easy, but slooowwwwww - no CB on my merc and i always forget to reduce P-setting on bosses. I basically stood there decrepifying him every 5 seconds for about 5+ minutes while my dudes widdled him down lol.

I don't think conviction is a requirement for high p-setting for CE. Reading Gripphon's posts in the RFL & HoR threads, it sounded to me like Infinity vs Insight was very close in speed... Here is his quote from the Cow thread (p5 setting):

Gearwise, use mpk ring and Infinity merc, but in general it doesn't matter much do you use Insight or Infinity. Infinity is slightly faster though.
Here is his quote from the travincal necro musings:
Infinity vs Insight
Result: very similar, practically no difference, though with Infinity it is easier to spot that physical immune boss there, but with Insight merc does give corpse slightly faster. Nothing to win over Infinity though. I do use Infinity, but Insight is just so good and easy to use...
But keep in mind these in the context of a highly optimized best-in-slot build and a player who is among the best of the best. And i guess he was also referring to lower p-settings (cows are best on p5 and trav on p3).

The lack of dweb and Infinity is why i'm wondering if the LR -> pNova -> Amp combo is going to work better for the lesser geared necro, vs. the Amp -> pNova -> CE spam combo. pNova only needs to turn the monsters green to get the full benefit of Lower Resist, then you can hit them with Amp to help merc kill faster and buff CE spam.

darkstarhub

Diabloii.Net Member
Do plus skills raise the level of the Fireball, Firewall, and Meteor skills given as a bonus on Trang’s Set?

I really want to make a Poison Nova Necro, but is it still going to mostly rely on CE for all the killing? Or is it pretty much one of those things where you would be screwing yourself not to use CE? Of course I don’t have a DWeb yet, but I still think I could make a relatively powerful Necro.

TheGuardianXXXIII

Diabloii.Net Member
Do plus skills raise the level of the Fireball, Firewall, and Meteor skills given as a bonus on Trang’s Set?

I really want to make a Poison Nova Necro, but is it still going to mostly rely on CE for all the killing? Or is it pretty much one of those things where you would be screwing yourself not to use CE? Of course I don’t have a DWeb yet, but I still think I could make a relatively powerful Necro.
I think +skills raise them but i'm not 100% sure. If they are oSkills, then yes, which i believe they are.

CE is the best skill in the necromancer's skill tree. Not using it is an definitely an option if a themed/challenge build is the desire. You can beat the game on hell difficulty with most builds, but just know you'll always be better with CE. Full screen big AoE damage is hard to pass up in a game about killing lots of monsters as quick as possible :D

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
One thing to note: you plan to max CE ... which is a perfectly sensible plan in every area. Every area except for Cows maybe. Maxed CE with some + skills has a very big radius, increasing the risk of killing the Cow King. So with maxed CE you'll want to stay far away from his spawning point. Problem is that herding and blowing up cows is so addicting that you might end up getting too close and killing him anyway. I found that out the hard way during last year's RFL Cow round, after around 13 hours, which was a pitty, because my Venomancer was on a roll at the time. Although the Zod my Javazon found in the remaining 3 hours kinda made up for that ;).

So just to say that max CE might be overkill in some areas, and even not desired in the Cow level.

Other than that, +1 to Attract. It does exactly what a Necro wants: divert the attention away from him, and clump many, many monsters together, ready to get toasted by CE. Just make sure to hold that 'show items' button while doing your CE chain, so you don't miss out on any juicy drops.

maxicek

Moderator Single Player
If you main goal is farming with this character and your number one D2 goal is Enigma, I would park this character until you get one. Of course if you just want to have fun with the build, go for it.

Get to LK with a Sorc, or make a budget Trav barb and run the council. Then when you have the enigma, work on this character.

Cows are doable without Enigma, but Pit runs will be far too slow.

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
For me, the main issue when not having Enigma isn't even the longer traveling time. You can stack quite some frw on a lot of builds, and as a consequence still move fast. The main issue is not being able to get your merc where you want him to be. As a consequence he often isn't around at all, and when he is, he is in the wrong place and you can't get him out of trouble.

Ghonn

Diabloii.Net Member
For me, the main issue when not having Enigma isn't even the longer traveling time. You can stack quite some frw on a lot of builds, and as a consequence still move fast. The main issue is not being able to get your merc where you want him to be. As a consequence he often isn't around at all, and when he is, he is in the wrong place and you can't get him out of trouble.
Yup, this is a bit of an issue, especially in maze-like underground maps. Not so much in nightmare where I still am, but a real pain in hell. In hell my damage will not be enough to produce that first kill in a timely manner without godly gear. I'm also relying on insight right now, and it's a bit aggravating when the moron just minds his own business in a corner somewhere

helvete

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm probably the only one who did full trangs. This was 1.10 though, when enigmas were few and far between, and marrowwalk would synergize bone armor with 33 points.

Iirc he did have dweb with worst possible roll. Full inventory of skillers. Would one-shot anything in the pits with LR on it even in 8 player game. Didn't use CE at all.

Ghonn

Diabloii.Net Member
Going to try full Trang's as soon as the helm finally drops. It's nice to hear this build does not necessarily rely on CE, although dweb is one damn elusive item...