Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

poor man's blizz mf sorc?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by FrustratedNecro9500, Feb 23, 2004.

1. FrustratedNecro9500

FrustratedNecro9500 IncGamers Member

poor man's blizz mf sorc?

heres my char so far:

stats, roughly:
    75 str
    35 dex
    225 vit
    35 energy

skills:

1 warmth
    1 static field
    1 ice bolt
    20 ice blast
    5 glacial spike
    20 blizzard
    16 cold mastery

my equipment sucks so bad its not even worth mentioning. i have gloves with 24% magic find, a ring rith 12% mf, thats about it. however i DO have a 3 socket death mask i COULD put 3 perf topaz's in to help. i have 3 questions:

1) what merc should i get? im leaning towards prayer or defiance, not sure which would be better

2) how should i go about getting some better equipment? it takes forever to get through the durance, and if i start teleporting all over the place i always seem to do so right into a big pack of monsters and die.

3) im at a point here where im not sure what i should do with my skills. im wondering what i should do about cold immunes...so basically im torn between doing a few different things: maxing glacial spike and putting the rest into fire wall, leave my cold skills as they are and max fire wall and fire mastery, or max my cold skills and just depend on merc/other players to deal with cold immunes.

2. chora321

chora321 IncGamers Member

Don't get a prayer merc, Defiance, Might and Holy Freeze are really the only ones worth getting. And what difficulty are you trying to mf meph at?

3. gvandale

gvandale IncGamers Member

I like to have different mf char's for different solutoins. It's hard to say there is one build that will MF perfectly in any/all areas, so why not have different ones for different areas?

I'm ladder only, and started off very very poor.

So to answer your question here goes:

STATS:
    STR: 95'ish (this will make a good amount of equip available to you)
    DEX: base (no need here unless you have / use a wizardspike)
    VIT: REST (all life baby)
    NRG: 100'ish (what makes you comfortable. I'd say 100 is plenty)

SKILLS:
    20 Blizzard + Each Synergy (+1 Pre-req)
    1 Shiver Armor (+1 pre-req)
    1 Cold Mastery
    This is 84 skill points alone.

1 Static
    1 Teleport (+1 for pre-req)
    1 Warmth

Might Merc (A2 NM Offensive)
    HIGH DMG / HIGH DEFENSE / HIGH LIFE LEECH

Even with craptastic gear, this should let you kill enemy #1 Pindleskin. He's easy to get to, drops awesome (any item anyone?), and is quick. >1 minute kills shouldn't be uncommon with this build.

Some things you should look for (and possibly try to obtain on our wonderful trade sections on these forums)

HELM: 3os (w/ p.topaz)
    ARMOR: 4os (w/ p.topaz)
    BELT: Goldwrap
    RINGS: Manald Heals (mana regen) or Nagelrings (mf)
    *AMULET: Tancred's Amulet (low level set item)
    *BOOTS: Tancred's Boots (low level set item)
    GLOVES: Chance guards (cheap source of MF)

*Tancred's boots + amulet give +75(iirc) mf

So there you go. If your on USEast Ladder let me know and I can give you some good starter gear.

4. FrustratedNecro9500

im trying to run meph nightmare right now, but like i said, takes forever to get to him...im in act 5 nightmare now and havent saved anya yet so cant run pindle. so u think i should just max all my cold stuff, huh? maybe ur right.

my blizzard rules in nightmare right now, but im guessing it will need to be amped up even more in order for it to be effective in hell. maybe i'll go the middle rout and max spike and dump the remaining 20 points into firewall just to help out my merc against cold immunes. still debating between might and defiance tho...defiance would also help my def plus my spells should be able to do most of the killing as long as he can hang in there long enough.

5. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Do you have Teleport Skill and at least +63% Faster Cast. If not it would be no wonder that it takes ages for you to get to Mephi ;)
    If you have Teleport remember to have at least 63% FCR and a Ravenfrost helps greatly when doing mephruns aswell.

6. FrustratedNecro9500

um...u must have missed the whole "i have crap for equipment" part of this thread hehe.

also, anyone have some more advice on dealing with cold immunes? i think im gonna go with a defiance merc. also...if i DO go with fire wall, what would be best...do like 1 point in fire wall and put the rest into fire mastery, or just max fire wall and maybe put one point into fire mastery?

7. Talon0835

Talon0835 IncGamers Member

Maxing Firewall and a point in Firemastery results in you actually doing damage while the converse results in 200~ damage (lol). Just go with pure Blizz. ^__^

8. Nirlem

Nirlem IncGamers Member

A holy freeze merc is slower on killing enemies but he makes it alot easier to teleport out of those nasty monster groups. that could be something to consider!

9. Dalarans.Pride

Dalarans.Pride IncGamers Member

I think static and a merc should do fine.

10. decoy_sJ

decoy_sJ IncGamers Member

hey i got s suggestion..u can try running nitemare andy first..she will drop practically everything u need ( if u looking for higher-mid level items) and after that, u can slowly proceed to do meph, then hell andy, then meph :lol:

i got TONNES of stuff from nm andy..she is easy to kill..and u will get plenty of armor and stuff to socket with ptopazs..i think its a better idea to work progressively :innocent:

just my 2 cents worth! :buddies:

p.s. oh and my suggestion for the merc is a hell act 2 defiance merc..hit him with a shaftstop and stealskull u can get from nm andy..and u r ready to go! :lol: