Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Poor Hammerdin Help, and Strategy

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Kunivek, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Kunivek

Kunivek IncGamers Member

Poor Hammerdin Help, and Strategy

I just started playing 5 days ago, after taking a year break, so naturally i am very poor. From previous experience, i decided to make a hammerdin, because they can become decent mfers, and they have great dmg/ survivability -- which helps when you are trying to get to hell meph or D to mf. Also i am playing on US West ladder, so if you think you can help me, private message me. My gear is as such:

Stealskull Casque

Spectral shard ( found ) -- i have enough wealth to trade for a wizpike, and i can certainly make a spirit runeword, but im not sure what in. Is atma's wail armor a good trade for a wizpike? I have a few other things i could trade but nothing better than that (pgems too).

Skin of Vipermagi ( 32 all res and 279 def -- not sure if i should up it or not... not that i have any of the runes to do that... )

Rare paly shield ( very horrible -- 16 all res, + str, 2 unused sockets) I will probably make a spirit shield instead, as soon as i find a good def, 4 socket paly shield with around 30 or more base res to all.

Bloodfist gloves cause i cant find anything better but im sure i could trade for some frosties ( much needed because i have low mana ) or magefist even though i already hit the 75 fcr breakpoint.

Manald heal
    , rare res ring with 7 all res and +13 to dex and i also have a bunch of rare fcr rings.. but they arent really needed.

Sanders boots

Thundergod's Visor ( i use a + 15 to str ring to help me put it on, then i take the ring off and put the real stuff i use on... not sure how it works, but it does).

Basically, im lvl 66 and doing Baal runs, but i am pretty poor, and i need to figure out how to get better items. It has been suggested that i make an mf sorc, but i dont have the time to get her the items, and the lvl that she would need, or the wealth, to suffieciently mf at all. I want to use my hammerdin as my mfer later, but now i would just like to get him good enough to go on to hell, and to mf meph or diablo in hell. Keep in mind that i dont have nearly enough wealth to get an enigma, hoz, and maybe a shako ( its possible). Please post with strategy, gear, and other helpfull tips. ( dont send me a link to the other 10 or so poor hammerdin threads, or the hammerdin guides... i have read both rags, and the max dmg one, as well as over 170 hammerdin related threads... i have done my research :)

2. Jayler

Jayler Banned

well, im going to be like everyone else and say you need to make an mf sorc. i too started 5 days ago, or actualy 6 i think but whatever. i started with a mf sorc and rite now i already have full tals, shako, occy for her. i also made a pally and hes got enigma, 196 hoz, shako, arachnid. you just gotta mf alot and you will get alot.

3. Kemist

Kemist IncGamers Member

4 alternatives:

1 ask ppl for items as ur doing here basically

2 mf

3 forge runes (ur not strong/fast enuff)

4 spend 10 bucks, get 10 hi runes and an enigma from a site, and wallah. Good hammerdin gear.

4. Bullet-Tooth Tony

Bullet-Tooth Tony IncGamers Member

Is it Hardcore or Softcore?
    You've said, you can make Spirit, which means you play in ladder.
    My sugestions:
    1) Make the Spirit in a sword immediately. It rocks. +2 skills, FCR, vit, TONS OF MANA (you will probably not need it any more). You'll defenitely find runes for it again before you get a good shield to make Spirit in it.
    2) Buy a +3 Redemtion scepter and put it on switch. Very handy to quickly refill mana/lafie after every battle.
    3) Why Thundergod's? You don't need lightning absorb much in Normal/NM, vitality bonus is great, but... I think it'd be better switch to Goldwrap for MF.
    4) Sander's boots are good, but try to gamble rares with some resists and MF.
    5) Shield... Try to buy Steelclash, it's cheap and decent. +1 skills, good block, resists. Or make Rhyme for CBF, resists and (most important for you) MF.
    If you play Hardcore I think NM Diablo run is a good alternative to NM Baal run (it can give you Souls and stygan dolls, which you'll probably want to avoid). Chaos Sanctuary is not that dangerous in NM, if you have some decent resists. Nothing here can kill you quickly. Diablo drops are not much worse than Baal drops, and the monsters on the way can give you some stuff. I did find a Guardian's Angel, the Rising Sun amulet from NM Diablo and on the way to him. So, consider this, if you don't want NM Baal runs.

5. rg_22uk

rg_22uk IncGamers Member

If you're building a hammerdin casting holy shield then using vigor means you can run past most monsters from the river of flame wp to the pentagram that diablo spawns at with little trouble. Then cast a tp and proceed to clear the 5 seals. As the layout hardly changes you'll be able to do diablo runs a lot quicker then baal runs as you would have to find both sets of stairs, clear the throne room, kill all the waves of minions and then kill baal (he can be really annoying if he keeps casting that blue wave thing that pushes you back).

Try to trade for an ali baba using pgems and find a 4 socket armor and 3 socket helm to socket with perfect topaz. Get diablo down to a slither of health then tp back to town and switch over to this gear. The armor and helm alone will give you 168 mf and the ali baba will give your characters level in mf %.

The only monsters that may be a problem are:

1. The knights that cast missile attacks. If you get a group of these they can drain your health quite quickly. Run up to them, spam hammers and run away.

2. Pit lords / venom lords. Dont let them swarm you, spam hammers then run away so they follow you through the hammers.

3. Lord de Seis - spawns when you break the top seal. Edge forward and take out the knights around him before spamming hammers at point blank range (I run hell diablo with a level 92 hammerdin and he is the only monster there that kills me if I get lazy)

6. koeraokse

koeraokse IncGamers Member

what realm do you play? and you ladder as I can see, for the rw, if ur in europe ladder I could give u some paladin equipment...

*priit

7. Kunivek

Kunivek IncGamers Member

Doing better...

I play on Ladder US West -- if you think you can help me, please do. I am doing better as i somehow managed to trade for a wizpike for only 4 pgmes ( good deal?? ). Mfing Diablo seems much easier, though lord de seis has kicked my pants in a few times. I am bringing my nm lvl 54 holy freeze merc along with me and he seems to be getting lvls very fast, but keeps dying. Killing him before i mf Diablo seems to work well :p . Ive decided im not gonna make a mf sorc, regardless of the fact that i may be slower at mfing. Should i make a spirit weapon, even though i have a wizpike now? I think im going to make a spirit shield, for fighting, and im going to rhyme for mfing, in some high lvl shield for the mf, extra gold, res, and cannot be frozen. Hopefully, mfing diablo will get me some much needed pgmes, so i can socket a 3 soc helm, and 4 soc armor with topaz. Right now, i have 112 mf ( laughs ) but hopefully with a good mf armor, and helm, i will find enough gems for pgmes, or items to trade for an ali baba. Is atmas wail armor worth an alibaba?

8. cotton

cotton IncGamers Member

Please, for God's sake, do not send real money to disreputable sites for duped runes. There are two other threads on this page that list affordable hammer gear, so check them out. As for your gear, a couple of suggestions:

1 If you are on ladder, think about putting runes in that shield for splendor until you can get something better. It's cheap, and it helps.

2 I like upped Nightsmoke for a belt if you don't have anything else. Crafted caster belts can also be nice.

3 Magefists are good gloves and can be had for pgems.

4 Plus skills are nice, but fast cast is generally cheaper and can be just as effective. Try to reach the 75 fcr breakpoint, or better yet, 125. Rare and crafted rings and ammies can help.

Good luck--if you insist on spending real money to play this game, become a pal.

9. Decebal

Decebal IncGamers Member

WOW Enigma after 6 days!

Thats strong... :confused: