Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Poof! My adventure in trading.

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by poisonxfree, May 16, 2005.

1. poisonxfree

poisonxfree IncGamers Member

Poof! My adventure in trading.

So I'm kind of poor since I didn't play for a year and my account was deleted. I'm getting back up though and have some decent chars, but nothing can hold it's own in hell. I have a clvl 90 javazon, but she's boring because I have played plenty of javazons. She can't do much in hell, so I usually rush nm hoping for good runes for trade. On Firday I had a really good half an hour. I had earlier found a druid ele gc [which goes for um on USWest Ladder] so I made a game to trade it as I need the runes. While waiting I kill Andy who drops an Um. Right after I finish that, someone comes in and gives me an Um for that skiller. THen I rush someone and their forge dropped an Um. 3 Um's in about 35 minutes. I now had 5 Um's and a Pul in my stash [along with other runes, but those are the important ones]. I'm desperately looking for a Dusk enigma for my pally, so I need Ist's to trade. I trade someone 3 of my Um's for an Ist, and was quite satisfied. I was gone this weekend so I couldn't play at all. Tonight I was playing for a while and when I first started, I made sure I had the runes in my stash. Check. All was right in the world. After a few games I look again as I was moving stuff, no Ist.

What?

I check ALL of my characters to make sure I didn't mule it. Nothing. Check to see if it somehow got socketed in something w/ open sockets in my stash [wouldn't have done much good, it still would have been wasted], nada. Gone. Vanished into thin air. I never was a big fan of dupers and now it seems I got screwed by one. I had always heard stories about people's things vanishing because they were duped, but never had it happened to me.

Now I guess it has and I'm completely discouraged. It took me a while to save up and I was damn close, but now with 2 Um's and a Pul I've got a long way to go again. It's this kind of thing that makes me want to quit again.

So tell me what you think? Should I not be so quick to trade anymore? Has this happened to you before?

2. rg_22uk

rg_22uk IncGamers Member

Unlucky. The upside to this is that at least you've been taught not to trade for high end items on b.net, especially as Jah and Ber are highly duped. Hopefully when you amass the wealth to get that enigma you'll go through the forums here (i'm in the same position as you and will definately trade for mine here).

For some quick wealth with your char you could try blitzing hell cows with 0 mf% in order to get flawless gems, grand charms (hopefully skillers) and desirable socketables.

3. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

I'm very sorry this happened to you - the serious problems with rune duping and trading is the primary reason I left the realms for Single-player earlier this year. Even the great folks here on this site's trading forums cannot guarantee that the runes (and sometimes runewords) they trade you will not go poof. At least with the SP community here, rune trading is entirely banned and other items can have their fingerprint scrutinized before making a deal (thanks to ATMA).

I traded runes constantly as well and even I could not guarantee that every rune I traded away was legitimate - I was always afraid that sooner or later someone would accuse me of trading duped goods and it bothered me so much that I just walked away from the realms entirely (there were other reasons I left too, but this was by and large the main reason).

To answer your questions - no, I have not had items poof on me before. I was a very cautious trader and never traded items with non-forum members. My advice to you would be to stick to the USWest trading forum from now on. Though doing so will not guarantee that your goodies will never poof again, the odds of such will be greatly reduced.

Good luck! :)

4. Zavior

Zavior IncGamers Member

Ists are very rarely duped. You were very unlucky :(

5. front243

front243 IncGamers Member

I only trade for the high runes I need in a rune-word last, because I heard that if you make a runeword it will "perm" the rune.

I do have a few runewords with high-runes (finally!) and they seem to last at least.

I would also agree that you should do your trades here in the trade forums, too many scammers on bnet. I do 95% of my trades here, the last 5% done on bnet as a last resort.

6. dang79

dang79 IncGamers Member

There have been incidents in which runes placed in runewords have poofed just the same.

7. Wmeredith

Wmeredith IncGamers Member

If you trade for anything on Bnet, you have to be ready to see it go. Tough, but true. The only item I've ever had ppof was a Beast Zerker. I just had to tell myself: easy come, easy go.

8. Cooked

Cooked IncGamers Member

I am hoping that "cubed" runes won't disappear. If the dupe elimination program Blizzard uses to remove duped runes is based on their "id" numbers then I should be safe. When you cube runes they would have to be assigned a new "id" number, otherwise if you were to cube three Orts, add the cubed Ort to two Thuls, then add the cubed Thul to two more Thuls for your Amn rune, it would have the longest id number one could imagine. If, that is, it saved all the original individual id numbers each time you cubed your runes.

Now maybe Blizzard has an entirely different method of tracking duped runes....well, apparently not, or the duplicated runes would not survive even one second.

I don't want to "support" rune duping but, I can not see a viable way around it. There are a lot of legit high runes out there but, still, most are duplicates and there is no sure way to tell the difference. Blizzard needs to find a way to stop whatever method is being used to make dupes, though if they could, I am sure they would.

I cubed two Surs and two Bers for which I had traded out there on the channels. Gee, was that ever expensive! When my only Ladder Enigma, which I traded for, disappears, I will make my new Enigma with my Very Expensive "legit?" runes and hope it stays! Still looking for a three socket 15 ed Archon for those runes.

9. dang79

dang79 IncGamers Member

You're assuming that blizzard's programs are 100% accurate all the time. I think I also read one or two complaints about legit runes poofing. When it comes to runes you're in a game of roulette.

You can try to do without runewords, or you can live with this risk of poofing. Or you can be the uber legit player and never use any rune you never found yourself, but that would be just like doing without runewords lol.

10. wheel-of-doom

wheel-of-doom IncGamers Member

Trading on bnet is always an ordeal for me, as it is for many. I hate trading runes and im usually not too afraid about trading ist runes(because as was said they're rarely duped). But when it comes to trading for high runes, I always make sure I have absolutely every thing I need before I trade for the runes. And I always make the runeword in the game I get the runes in. Learned to do this by a magically poofing jah just as I was about to make an enigma.

11. djIgneo

djIgneo IncGamers Member

Dude, I feel bad for you. Sorry your luck happened like that. Too bad you don't play UsEast...

12. ladyvixen

ladyvixen IncGamers Member

Not sure what realm you play on, but on USEast almost anything can be duped. I traded 2x 20 life 10% cold res sc's for 3 ists (my first ists ever) and all three disappeared. And the same thing has happened to my friends with ists, too.

For the first poster, just be very wary about trading for ist+ plus in the future.

13. Squiz

Squiz Banned

ya i lost 2 bers yesterday , was about to make infinity

there goes all my savings :(

14. Nos2

Nos2 IncGamers Member

I hate to hear of anyone losing their items. But if you found 3 Um's within 35 minutes, then traded those for an Ist, I really don't see how you can say it took you a while to save up. The way I see it, you are only out about 35 minutes worth of game time. Granted, it was a very good 35 minutes.

Many people have lost much, much more. Every cloud has a silver lining. Sometimes you just have to search for it.

-nos