Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

polygamy good or bad?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Corneo, Mar 5, 2004.

1. Corneo

Corneo IncGamers Member

polygamy good or bad?

I was watching television last nice on abc. One of those dateline shows, 60 minutes, etc shows. The reporter interviewed a man who has about 15 wives and they all live in the same multimillion dollar house. Yes this man is a firm believer of polygamy. But legally he has only 1 official wife since polygamy is illegal.

Then we move on to Colorado city, where this small community is runned by a breakaway from the church of L.D.S. The reporter interviewed a woman who said that young girls would be raised to think any one outside of the church is evil. Young girls would be forced to married men 3-4 times their age. The law enforcement is in the hands of the church themselves.

What do you guys think?

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/Primetime/DailyNews/FLDS_Jessop_040304-1.html

Quite an interesting read.

2. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Unfortunately, I think that people are going to assume that these people are Mormons and that Sarge is going to have to defend his religious beliefs from the rest of the forum. Because he obviously has 8 wives and 34 children :uhhuh:

3. Corneo

Corneo IncGamers Member

Hahaha. No offense to Sarge at all. This is a small breakaway from the Church of Latter Day Saints. They are their own small group. In fact Sarge will be able to tell us better how these people differ from the regular Mormons.

4. Metallica

Metallica Banned

I can see why people hates polygomy because of those social benefits or craps like those. But if the guy only has 1 wife and all those girlfriends, then I see nothing wrong with it. The more the merrier.

5. Sergeant

Sergeant IncGamers Member

It's not a breakaway from the LDS church. These people are not Mormon in any way. Anyone who practices polygamy is excommunicated from the Mormon church. The LDS church stopped the practice of polygamy and prohibited it over 100 years ago. Anyone practicing it is not Mormon, breakaway or otherwise.

Here's some official sources on these issues:

http://www.lds.org/newsroom/mistakes/0,15331,3885-1,00.html

That is from the LDS Church's official website and accurately states the facts of situations like this. Anyone practicing is not a Mormon and has nothing to do with the church.

If you want to know the difference between them and regular mormons, the difference is, we're members of the LDS church, they are not.

6. IDupedInMyPants

IDupedInMyPants Banned

Polygamy is good in certain situations, but generally these situations are catastrophes or wars that wipe out large portions of the male population. I don't see much use for it in our society today.

I guess it's kinda functionalist but that's my take on it.

7. FoodPoisoning

FoodPoisoning Banned

Hey sergeant, What exactly do Mormons believe?
    could you possibly give me a basic summary ><

I'm sick of people at my "Christian" school bashing mormons without knowing a thing about them and making up lies about them...

8. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

What do I think about it? *shrug* If it floats their boat and they're all happy with it... who am I to judge?

9. Drosselmeier

Drosselmeier IncGamers Member

If people wanna engage in it, not my problem. I don´t really care.

I don´t think I would marry more than one person myself even if it were legal and I had the opportunity. I´m a bit of a romantic and I still believe in crap like two people who are right for each other and stuff... I don´t think I´d have any need for or interest in a second wife, and I certainly wouldn´t be comfortable with being one of a number of husbands. I need attention.

10. toader

toader Banned

Lets see if I can get some of it right...im not Morman, but I feel like giving it my best shot.

The mormans (founded by Joseph Smith) believe in the Cristian Bible as well as the "lost" chapters that Mr. Smith found in the woods of Utah. He found the encrypted tablets, along with a decoder, and he decoded them and started the Morman church. Hmmm...thats about all I can do with any kind of accuracy.

Sarge....take it from here....

11. Technetium

Technetium IncGamers Member

I have no problem with it. I wouldn't be interested in being in a polygamous relationship myself, but other people should be able to.

12. Sergeant

Well, without making this an overly long thread, I'll try to give you the readers digest version.

We believe in God the Father, his son Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost. We use the King James Version of the bible and believe it to be the word of God as long as it is translated correctly. We also believe the book of mormon to be the word of God.

The book of Mormon is a record of the ancient inhabitants of the american continent and serves as a testament of Christs teachings and visitations to them. Sometime around 600 bc a group of them left Jeruselum and about 8 years later set sail for the "promised land" which was probably South America. Over the course of about 1100 years, they inhabited South America, middle America and then North America. The record was hidden by the last surviving member of the Nephite race, their whole civilization wiped out by the Lamanite nation. I think, and it's generally held as a good possibility, that the Lamanites are the ancestors of Native Americans.

in 1823, during a time of great religious awakening the young boy Joseph Smith was confused by all the conflicting teachings of all the various religions and churches and wanted to know which one to join. He took to a wooded area near his home in upstate New York to pray about which church he should join. It was at that time he was visited by God and Jesus and instructed to join none of them, that none had or taught God's full gospel. They all had parts of the truth but none had the whole truth and that is what caused the conflicting teachings.

In time, the location of the plates was reveaved to Joseph. These plates are the original manuscript if you will for the book of Mormon. Joseph Smith organized the LDS church in 1830 and served as the first prophet in this dispensation of the church. Now let's see if I can dispel some of the stuff people tend to misconstrue about us.

We do not practice polygamy or plural marriage. We did at one time when it was legal. It has been prohibited both by law and by the church for over 100 years and any member found practicing it is excommunicated from the church, their membership wholly and totally terminated.

We don't smoke, drink alcohol or generally consume things which are harmful to the body (generally viewed as coffee, tea, tobacco and alcohol). All of this is written in the 89th section of our book of Doctrine and Covenants and is commonly referred to as the Word of Wisdom. It encourages a healthy diet, details how many should eat and live to grant health and a healthy lifestyle.

While we can still marry civilly or "until death" like anyone else can, in our temples, we can marry "for time and all eternity", meaning the bonds of marriage are not broken by the death of a spouse. Only a temple divorce can sever a temple sealing.

Um...what else... Well, I'll leave it at that. If you want to know more I'd be happy to tell you, just ask. If you want some good resources you can go to www.mormon.org - The church's site for people who want to find out about it. The official site is www.lds.org. There is a fantastic site hosted and produced privately by a church member, http://www.jefflindsay.com/MyPages.shtml#religion

Hope this helps a bit and let me know if you have more questions.

toader, you get an A for effort. We do believe in the Christian bible and we do believe in, not lost but hidden, plates that tell of the ancient inhabitants of the american continent. They were found in the woods of upstate New York after the location had been revealed to him. The plates were translated with the Urim and Thummim by the power of God and that gave us the Book of Mormon.

Not too bad, you did better than most.

13. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

What I believe, what I think, have no bearing on this. What will have bearing, eventually, is the door that we're opening by permitting same-sex marriages. If you can allow that, why not multiple spouses? What are the grounds for allowing one, and not the other?
    What about the case of a woman I heard on the radio a few days ago who wanted to marry her own mother and father? Her husband was dead, she is raising children with her parents (the childrens' grandparents) living with her and contributing as much as the father of the children did...why can't she get the same benefits married people are getting?
    Wait...I think I'm twisting this thread around, aren't I? Sorry. Sure, polygamy, yay, why not?

14. Choogy

Choogy IncGamers Member

Yea...isn't polygamy illegal (as in by the government?)
    And that's just kinda wrong...It grew out of the idea of that people get remarried after a spouse dies...and technically are still married to the dead spouse...cant remember the term for it.

But still, it's just kinda wrong. Jay Leno did a skit about another guy with several wives...
    Name that Noise!
    Intercom: Now serving #7, now serving #7...
    Polygamous Man: That's me at home!

15. PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy IncGamers Member

Do the mormons believe in reincarnation?
    Reincarnation is a belief of hinduism,buddhism and other minor religions

16. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar IncGamers Member

I doubt it. No matter what some denominations believe, Mormons are still Christian.

I also think that polygamy is fine. If all parties are willing and have full knowledge and give full consent, then that is their business and no one elses.

17. Carnage-DVS

Carnage-DVS IncGamers Member

Too bad that it's usually practiced in a society where women aren't really given a choice about it. They are brought up, misinformed about their choices, and usually forced to marry against their wishes, and that is why I don't support it.
    And also because it's not really a good idea to have more than one wife. Oh, the burdens.

18. Plum

Plum IncGamers Member

Presuming that standard marital consent laws are retained, I won't stand in the way of polygamy. In regard to benefits from marriage, they should not apply multiple times in my opinion; in a polygamous marriage scenario, there shouldn't be stacked benefits.

19. Drosselmeier

Drosselmeier IncGamers Member

Just FYI, they´re the third and fourth largest religions of the world respectively.

20. Sergeant

No. We believe in resurrection like many religions do. Resurrection will happen after the second coming. ALL people who lived on this earth and received a body will be resurrected.

And Hinduism, Buddhism and Mormonism aren't minor religions. The first two are two of the largest and the Mormon church has over 11 million members worldwide.