Poll: Old Metalica vs New Metalica

Su-Mun

Diabloii.Net Member
Poll: Old Metalica vs New Metalica

Hey guys, doing a presentation for my college music appreation class(can you say "Mickey"?) on Old Metalica vs New Metalica, im talking S & M vs St. Anger, i personally dislike the St. Anger CD, all the songs sound the same, and he doesnt sing along with the beat, i love the classics, Master of Puppets, Fade to Black, Fuel, Sandman, Nothing else Matters etc. Every song on S&M i like, and the orchestra in the background is also nice. Just post which ya like better and some thoughts if ya have any, i'll be quoteing so nothing to vulgar. Thanks for the posts.

Old all the way. New Metallica is like Old Weezer only a lot less hardcore. As a matter of fact, everything from that Load/Reloaded/Deloaded/Preloaded phase where they had 73 albums that were ripoffs of Matrix titles, all of that stuff sucked and so has everything they've done since then. Too bad the Lilith Fair died, I would have liked to have seen Metallica there opening for Tori Amos and Jewel. I can totally hear Hero of the Day fading into You Were Meant For Me.

Carnage-DVS

Diabloii.Net Member
Er.Old metallica is actually pre-black album,pre-load album.IMO they started going downhill after black.Old Metallica>New metallica.No real contest.Although S&M is a great album,I personally disliked Black.

caddad

Diabloii.Net Member
Did I miss something along the way? There has only been one band. It's an evolution of that bands musical desires and expression.

Compare them, but don't separate them. Same band. Funny how the old metallica is the young metallica........and the new metallica is the old metallica..... Interesting....

-D2netDad

Carnage-DVS

Diabloii.Net Member
It may be an evolution,but I don't view it as such.To me,their sounds just degenerated until now,when they just sound like every other crappy nu-metal group on the block.THere is a clear distinction in my mind between Old and New Metallica.

I'd tend to agree with that. I remember the first time I ever heard a Metallica song, and I was thinking "Holy ****, these guys rock." I remember the last time I heard a Metallica song, I was thinking "Holy ****, The Flaming Lips put out a new album."

ahcw

Diabloii.Net Member
How bout neither? I personally don't like metallica period and plz don't flame me for putting up my opinion....

Metallica

Banned
Old metallica, period. Everything they release after 91 is a joke. And it makes tons of people wonder how they got from Master of Puppets to crap like St.anger.

Choogy

Diabloii.Net Member
Yea...like me

Old metallica is the best...and new metallica sucks (and St. Anger sounds like it was recorded in a bathroom) I mean, its like old offspring vs new offspring...the newer stuff just isnt the same

Indemaijinj

Diabloii.Net Member
Definately the old style.

I think they showed balls by doing the highly experimental St. Anger, but the experiment are not an unconditional success in my opinion.

The melodic late-area stuff might seem catchy at first, but it'll never grow on you.

Technetium

Diabloii.Net Member
Old Metallica all the way. I prefer before the Black Album. Even though the Black Album was their first big mainstream hit, and even though it is much better than later works, it is still a fundamentally different kind of music from the previous 4 albums, save for a few songs. Enter Sandman is actually the most representative of the change the band would make later.

There are a couple songs I like off of reload, but neither are ever played, and neither sound like anything Metallica has ever done. These are "Low Man's Lyric" and "Where the Wild Things Are".

Chief JB

Diabloii.Net Member
If I'm gonna pick, I'd say old for sure. St. Anger sucks, but its better than most new stuff. There isn't anything wrong with Load or ReLoad either. They just did things differently, you can't stay the same forever. They did their thrashing at the beginning but they wanted to appeal to other audiences as well.

nnndave

Diabloii.Net Member
Seriously what kind of question is that? You know what everyone is going to say.

Even though I liked load, it wasn't the metallica I love. Seriously though, who is going to pick reload, garage, and st anger over Puppets, RTL, and Justice???