Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Poll: Most important aspect of Diablo?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Azimuthus, Nov 12, 2016.

?

Most important aspect of Diablo?

1. Graphics/engine

2. Lore/story

3. Battle mechanics

4. Loot/item system

5. Skill system

6. Characters (playable)

7. Atmosphere (levels, design, gamma, lighting, music, etc)

8. Endgame (like rifts, special events, etc)

9. Randomization (well-balanced one or doesn't matter)

10. Multiplayer (ability to play coop, or pvp)

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Azimuthus

Azimuthus Diabloii.Net Member

Hello people.
    Just curious. What is the most important element (in Diablo-series) for you in the list? Actually, all 10 are very important, I know, but please select 1 (or some 2-3) which are CRITICAL for you. That means, without it (or with the poor realization of which) Diablo will be significantly worse.

I would limit to 3 answers max, but forum doesn't allow that, unfortunately.

T2000 likes this.
  2. Rushster

Rushster Administrator

It's a tough one to answer because about 70% of the list is really important I think. Cast my vote as best I can :)

3. In the name of Zod

In the name of Zod Diabloii.Net Member

Define replayability and work from there.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  4. Asteria

Asteria Diabloii.Net Site Pal

Was trying to limit myself to three otherwise I would end up voting for all of them.

Azimuthus likes this.
  5. Azimuthus

Azimuthus Diabloii.Net Member

300 people voted here: http://glasscannon.ru/forum//viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3658
    The trend is ~the same .) Quite interesting. Loot, Battle, Skills, and Atmosphere - these are most important things. And, Loot - is the most important of all.

Blizzard - you should "take this into consideration" (c) Baal

T2000 likes this.
  6. _TOP_Commander

_TOP_Commander Diabloii.Net Member

I had to choose more than 3 for the poll but anyways, here is my priority ranking of all the individual points:

1. Loot/item system
    Basically Mainstat, Health, CC, and CHD are removed from the affix pool on items. I prefer D2 like itemization. No individual must-have Mainstat for each class no more either. Runes and Runewords are back and are an alternative for Unique items. Set-Items are no longer the strongest items, but some combinations of 2-3 set-pieces can be good for end-game builds with all other slots using Uniques or Runewords. Some gear has "+To All Skills" or "+To Specific Skill" to make gear universally usable by almost all classes and builds. Some Items with "+To Specific Skill" have the ability to grant skills from one class to another, and thus allowing further crazy and customized builds. Charms are also back in various sizes and the Talisman is used as an inventory for "active-charms". Jewels of various quality are also back. Unique quality Jewels can become what "Legendary-Gems" are in D3. Rare (yellow) items can be as powerful as uniques, runewords or set-pieces in some cases, if the affix rolls were godly. No more Smart-Loot. Some Items should be ultra-rare and be seen as "Trophies", but should not be must-have for endgame.

2. Skill System
    Must have Skill-Tree with synergies, as well as Skill-Tree for passive skills with synergies as well.

3. Characters
    Playable - I prefer stat-allocation for customization. Also cool to have would be a model-editor to change hair style, hair color, face, eyes, beard, skin color, height, fatness, muscularity etc.

4. Atmosphere
    Music, level mood, design, lighting, weather-effects

5. Randomization
    Map-randomization is a must. Area maps must be randomly generated based on a plethora of possible tile-combinations, and no map ever looks like any map before. New Tiles are being designed and developed after game launches, so new patches add further "tiles" to each act and area map-tile-pool. No more splitting "story-Mode" from "Adventure-Mode", and instead one normal game-world. If you complete all quests, you simply cannot obtain any of the quest rewards anymore if the quests had any rewards. Some quests should give permanent quest-rewards like "+To All Skills" or "+To All Resistances", "+To All Attributes", "+To Health %" etc. Some quests could be repeatable such as a quest that gives certain runes, or jewels, or charms etc.

6. Battle mechanics
    As fluid as in D3, but I prefer when monsters cannot be "stacked", and instead occupy their own space. Various monster types occupy various amounts of space. Players have abilities to "dash or charge" through monsters while also damaging them. Elite-Monsters should have the possibility to have auras and those auras would also be active on nearby other monsters. This could turn usually easy monster types into feared encounters, so players must eliminate key-targets during monster-encounters if they want to be efficient in combat. Bad monster-kiting decisions by the player can lead to situations where multiple packs accumulate and multiple elite-monsters give multiple auras to the whole pack, turning the monster-mob into exceptionally difficult encounters. No Skills with cool-downs anymore.

7. Multiplayer
    Ability to play coop with more than 4 people (6to8 is good), as well as unregulated open-world PVP, with opt-out system

8. Graphics
    Style must match classic Diablo 1&2 world and time-setting (Medieval, dark, gritty, hopeless, evil, with a hint of hope where appropriate). No more "Pony-Levels", "Teddy-Bears", and other PR-Stunts. Obviously maps with vivid green vegetation during a rainy and foggy night are obviously awesome and create a well placed contrast to other areas in the game that are darker and grittier, such as catacombs underneath a cathedral. Dynamic weather effects like Wind, Rain, Fog, Snow, Hail, as well as strong-sunlight would be nice as well.

9. Lore/Story
    I don't care much about background "PLOT" like D3, but love detailed reminders that I am in a medieval world overrun by the devil and his hellish creations. I love key objects within the world reminding me of medieval times, aspects from history books as well as myths and legends like "King Arthur" and the Sword stuck in the rock etc. Also strong plausible characters such as Cain are a must. But nothing like Leah, Butterflies, Ass-modan etc. Basically I want the game to provide me with a "setting" and I "write my own story" throughout the adventures on my way to the destruction of evil. Side-Plots are welcome, but should not dominate my own story.

10. Endgame
    I don't want anything like Rifts or Grifts. I don't like developers that dictate what "Endgame" is. I would much more prefer to choose myself where I farm gear or experience. Further, I would like the difficulty to be capped and thus making many builds end-game viable. Once you find the gear to further boost your skill-development-choices and level your char to a decent level, you truly become a killing-machine and feel god-like.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
    In the name of Zod likes this.
  7. Fizoo

Fizoo Diabloii.Net Member

Polling people on what the best feature is can be tough because I think what players THINK they want is not the same as what will draw the most players.

Playing with a community of other gamers was the single biggest aspect. There are plenty of technically great games that have no audience because they never created an ingame community. It might be just as simple as you get a group of talent coders together and they write a great game but they are all too introverted and fail to recognize the importance of having a vibrant ingame community.

The big mistakes Diablo 3 made were:

1. dropping from 8 player games to 4.
    2. removing the lobby instead of enhancing the lobby.
    3. adding guilds, which I actually consider an antisocial feature because I think players tend to restrict themselves to the guild instead of giving to the community as a whole which is critical.
    4. lack of team goals like tristram runs, tomb tuns, enchantress games, cow games, and even baal runs (which admittedly id put at the bottom of the list but at least its a reason for people to play together in large groups. People sometimes drop nice gear in town or whatnot)

I'm not interested in playing a remastered D2 if its on Bnet 2.0 without a lobby and no in-game community.

My vision of a d4:

1. 8 player games
    2. bring back the lobby and add more features. Maybe have major events for your account saved and timestamped so that you can custom draw charts for when things happened in-game. Leaderboards should be directly in the game itself and not the lobby. manage equipment in the lobby. be able to pull up more data on other players in the lobby.
    3. observer games. maybe you don't want to play but watch someone else play. Should be in game and not reliant on twitch.
    4. replays.
    5. picture-in-picture / split screen play so that you can interact with others better in the same game, or different games to boost social play. I could even imagine some might like to have their screen in quadrants, with their current game in one quadrant, the lobby in another quadrant, observing another player in another quadrant and a replay in a 4th window. An option to tile a bunch of windows would be nice. Players can "race" each other using fresh level 1 chars using the split screen feature, which would give you another reason to play the leveling aspect of the game.
    6. more team goals. Large team goals like 8 player team goals.
    7. more "social" builds that are not designed to really play the game but support low level chars like the enchantress which turned out to be popular in new games. Again, boosting social play and creating a vibrant in-game community.
    8. named games instead of the AMM.

But, I've been asking for these options for 15 years and never got a single one lol.

8. Fizoo

Fizoo Diabloii.Net Member

The best form of replayability is a vibrant in-game community. A game can actually be really simple but if there is a strong community the community itself is the draw. Likewise, a game can be technically excellent severely lacks an ability to communicate with others and play with others, it could actually have very little replayability because many people need the human connection.

9. In the name of Zod

In the name of Zod Diabloii.Net Member

There is little you've said I disagree with Fizoo. I believe Valve stated some years back that one of the reasons for the ongoing success of left 4 dead 2 was that each game can have a new mix of players and as such each game is effectively different. I added the bit at the end. But valves comment was in that vain. Player diversity might be another way of summing this up?

I don't agree with the need for 8 players. I rarely played games with more that 4 in it in D2. When I did all I was doing was walking over dead bodies and unwanted loot. Diablo has one big problem here, balancing players out in a game where our power levels can vary greatly. If you want good multiplayer support then this hurdle must be jumped I believe.

There is one other problem I've seen pop up in diablo games that has never really been commented on much but should likely be considered when trying improving the mulitplayer experience and that is thinking time. Players need some thinking time as they find loot in diablo games and unless you're in the habit of just jumping out of a hardcore game and leaving your friends to fight for themselves then there is no real solution to this problem. Don't mean to drag us OT but its something never, and I mean never address at all.

Basically, if you've got players in town working out what to do they will be racing to get back into the game. It shouldn't be like this. But having more players may overcome this problem is it can be implemented to solve it.

10. fmulder

fmulder Site Contributor

Loot, lore and characters.

11. Titikaka

Titikaka Diabloii.Net Member

Potions: Removing health and mana potions was one of the biggest mistakes D3 did imo, PoE did the right thing in improving instead of removing potions. Using those pots is a core mechanic in Diablo.

Loot: There needs to be awesome gear that enables certain builds or changes how a character is played. I remember when they released screenshots of D3 items prior to release and pretty much everyone thought the items were boring, RMAH ruined gear.

12. Thortok2000

Thortok2000 Diabloii.Net Member

The core aspect of Diablo is the lore/story, that makes it 'Diablo' and not Torchlight, for instance. Now, the way the story is delivered matters, as well. Diablo 1 and 2's story was less intrusive than 3's...which is why they had to make a story-less version with adventure mode. In this case it was less about people having to replay the story over and over, and more that the story so forcefully took you away from the gameplay in order to watch the same things happen over and over. Return to 1 and 2's story-telling where you almost never lose control of your character as the story is occurring.

The second aspect is one of the key identifying features...customization and visual differences. Diablo was one of the first games that your character looked different depending on what armor pieces they wore. If you wore a mail plate with leather boots while holding a bow, that's what your character looked like. Before Diablo, games didn't do that, your character was static no matter what 'items' you equipped (think games like dragon warrior and final fantasy).

The third aspect was limited in the original, but expanded upon in 2. Customization/specialization of skill class. In 1, you could basically learn spells from the other classes and wind up knowing everything, but in 2, with the exception of items that gave you abilities from other classes (which was cool), you only knew abilities from your class, and even then, you could specialize.

They should take a leaf out of WoW's book when it comes to classes, skills, trees, etc. You want classes to have clear roles, but be customizably different so you're not all the same build.

The next aspect is atmosphere. While a little less important than story, it is what makes a diablo game diablo. Sure we had a lot of fun goofing around in cow levels and rainbow land, but there's something chilling about remembering that moment you first stepped into the wild in Diablo 2, and heard the Druid say "So it begins..." while the guitar struck that chord we all remember. The music in the first 2 diablos was masterful, was a little weak in 3.

The other things mentioned are important, such as itemization structure, etc. But the above is what 'defines' diablo.

13. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

Loot, skill system and Atmosphere. I could really care less for story. It's cool and has to be good for when I do pay attention, but I play a game to have fun, to build characters and very little attention is paid to story or lore. Maybe I'm missing out....

14. jamesL

jamesL Diabloii.Net Member

where does "voice acting" and "script" fall on that list ?

I don't care about lore or story so much, but I love good voice acting and lines

so whatever category that is, that's what I pick

15. etherealunity

etherealunity Diabloii.Net Member

~CHARACTER PROGRESSION~
    Diablo 3 isn’t character progression, its item progression. You’re nothing without high item level gear. Diablo 2 you will be wearing level 21 mage fists for your Sorc for a long long time. Chance Guards and Nagelrings for MF’ing. That’s not to say loot isn’t important. But you don’t need the highest level gear in order to create a powerful character. You got to allocate stats and skill points. There was a meaningful investment in your decisions. Diablo 3 failed, and they tried to get that back with Paragon levels…

~TRADING~
    ?Does Diablo 3 even have that? Oo wow, you found a rare. Good job. Aaaaaaaaaaaaand salvaged.

~COMBAT~
    The other thing is the engine, and the decisions Blizzard chose for combat. You need to be an entire screen away to dodge an attack (I’m exaggerating a little bit). And no, it is not a ping issue either. Blizzard confessed to making this terrible design choice.

~SPELL EFFECTS~
    The next thing is, yes, the graphics. But I don’t ask for the better graphics. In fact, in Diablo’s case, I want … uhh, LESS graphics. There are GLOWS on EVERY god damn THING! Spell effects are neither interesting or readable because so many are just blotchy glows. This even includes a few textures that look like smears. There’s a few spells that are… textured sprites that just slide along the screen with some fuzzy animation?

- Frozen Orb in Diablo 2 has a lot going on, but it’s concentrated into many small shards that sail across the battle field. When a shard hits and enemy, it disappears and the enemy is turned blue and slowed. Each shard has an animated tail as it travels through the air.
    [​IMG]
    … The orb itself is interestingly textured, covered in spikes and spinning wildly. The orb and the shards flying off the orb make cohesive sense.

- Frozen Orb in Diablo 3 has a lot going on, but it’s concentrated into one massive single part, that emanates small shards that don’t travel far at all. The shards of ice pass through enemies, and the spell’s effect doesn’t interact with them (shards to disappear). Each shard look like various digital paint brush strokes, that have no persona animation, and disappear very quickly.
    [​IMG]
    … The orb is a bright blue whispy ball. Small shards coming out feel insubstantial as their “frozen”ness looks and appears to be airy and light in their colour, softness, travel distance, and the lack of interaction with enemies.

Another difference is auras in Diablo 2. They’re simple and tight. Might, Resist Fire, Lightning Aura, Defiance, to list a few are not wacked out with bloom, overlays, and gradients. Might aura is simple. Defiance, simple. Resist fire, simple. The one aura that gets a tiny bit wild is Meditation, with its bubbly smoke. But it LOOKS like mist. The details are there to translate it. Meditation isn’t just a white gradient of colour, or a bunch of the same particle that appears in a column.

The monk’s auras are big gaudy designs, that slowly change in opacity. There’s again, no interaction. It’s not animated. Just appears abruptly… and then fades away.

War Cries as well. Diablo 2’s extend to their effective range, whereas Diablo 3’s are fixed.

Molten and Mortar effects in D3 are the worst offenders and easily are lost with their orange and red smears of colour.

Look further at the Diablo 3 preview of the Arena combat back in... 2009 or something. The Barbarian’s rapid frenzy attack was awesome. But they pulled that skill and many others because it was “too noisy” or didn’t read well. How do gradients read well? I never understood this.

And, also, why is all lightning blue? Why not white? Or, even a slight tinge of pink/purple? Only a few lightning spells from the Wizard have a white lightning effect. It’s rare to find lightning that’s white apparently.
    Blue lightning? *sticks finger in mouth and gags*
    Blue lightning with blue glow around it? *vomits*
    [​IMG]

… SPELL EFFECTS - TL;DR…

Glows and broad gradients make up or can be found in 95% of Diablo 3’s effects… They are light, airy, insubstantial, and take up way more screen space than an effect of a more detailed nature would. I prefer crisp detailed texture over expanding fading colours.

16. sunflowersmooth

sunflowersmooth Diabloii.Net Member

Trading. End game. Co-op. Diablo 2 failed slightly at the end game portion but in general did these 3 things amazingly. Diablo 3 ruined Co-op, trading (does not exist, items have no value), and I did not play long enough to understand if there was an end game passed a high score like an arcade machine...that does not suffice.

17. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

I'd like to see more chickens and rabbits running around. Especially those wacky-ass chickens.

Dacar92 likes this.
  18. sectoid

sectoid Diabloii.Net Member

For me the most important aspect for diablo is the atmosphere. Diablo 3 got this SO wrong, especially the music. Also the graphics, but I'm not talking about quality, it's still atmosphere, diablo could never look cartoony as it does. The initial art controversy was focused on colors only (by blizzard and media, user complaints varied greatly) and although I did like some darker mods, colors did not piss me off. What pissed me off was seeing everything rounded and smooth and with not much detail. D3 is much closer to torchlight in style than to d1 and d2 in my opinion. PoE got this right, imagine diablo 3 that way, diablo's overall setting is awesome and much stronger. One other thing, the corpses needed to stay the ground and not vanish.

The second most important thing for me is story. It's not "lore" (which translates to more background story and is cool in games like classic rpgs), it's just an interesting story that gives motivation to the game. D3 failed abysmally here. The story is the worst there could be, and the lore although ok, is irrelevant and the sum of all this led to the need for adventure mode as someone said here. D1 got it right with the books narrator and D2 got it right with the few cutscenes, the use of d1 hero as the villain, and Marius which was an interesting character which you cared for even seeing so little of him. You could easily put yourself in his shoes and think what you would do if such terror presented itself.

Finally, there's the skill system. Don't need to say much about that.

All in all, these were the reasons why I couldn't play more than one playthrough of the game on normal even though I obviously care for the series as I'm still here. I only played the monk.

Silverfang and mrpinsky like this.
  19. ElKo

ElKo Diabloii.Net Member

For me it's the possibility to define your own way to play. Different characters, custimisation by assigning stat points and choosing skills.
    With the current state of Diablo 3 that's mostly lost. Especially because you can re-do every choice you made. And of course, that is something that's needed with the specific builds for specific items you can use, but that is one thing I don't like: the need to change your complete way of playing because you find items that require a different build. This way the replayability is a lot better. You're compelled to create a new character to see if you can find a new build that suits your playstyle even better then the first.

For me, the way Diablo 2 did it was much better: you choose a character, for instance and Amazon, and then can choose if she is gonna use a bow or spear(s). And the complete build is around that choice, all the way. If you find a good spear as a bowazon, you just save that item and perhaps create a new amazon later, that will use that spear.

The only reason I (still) play Diablo 3 and not 2 is that I don't have that much time and Diablo 2 is relatively slow (though still a lot faster and a lot nicer to my mouse then the original Diablo).

Of course, a good story is nice, but the story is only important for the first times you play the game. After playing it through multiple times, the story isn't interesting anymore, no matter how compelling. You just want to beat monsters. As fast as possible. That's what you want from an ARPG.

Loot should only be important to support your build(s). As mentioned before, you might try different builds when finding items, but being required to completely change your build (<kuch>set dungeons<kuch>) is really annoying. It's one of the reasons I haven't been able to get the extra stash tabs.

What I miss in the list is competition. The ladder system is a nice way to compete, even if you don't play in the same instance of the game. But it only works if you compare the results that can be compared. For instance, a ladder for gamers who only play 10 hours a week would make the ladder usable for those.

And as a reaction on the graphics and mood: yes, Diablo 3 might be darker in mood in the graphics, but it should be playable too. You should be able to see your character and enemies. The playability is more important for me then the chosen graphics. But if the graphics are going to be like in Fiesta Online it shouldn't be called a Diablo game anymore, even though the mechanics in the game are still like the Diablo games.

Silverfang likes this.
  20. buddah

buddah Diabloii.Net Member

Some of these options overlap a lot. I would rather put graphics, music, story etc. all under atmosphere, which is something I really enjoyed in the first 2 Diablo games.

Of course the very simple point click gameplay, character progression and loot are of greatest importance. If this is done well then it kind of takes care of the end game too, as you want to keep playing to develop your character further and start other characters as well.