Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chewy

• Durf beer poing boobies etc....

• Total voters

DeathMaster

Diabloii.Net Member
I vote none of above, because which weapon to use depending on which build/merc to play.

Reaper's could even be bad weapon for a necromancer (you don't want CtC to override your own curse).

If I could, I would hire Durf as my merc, armed with Beer power. Now we are talking about perfect merc/weapon.

Big_P

Diabloii.Net Member
The Reaper's Toll is the best mercenary for every class except for Necromancers, because of the Decrepify casting. That's why my Summoner's mercenary uses this weapon:

Bonehew
Ogre Axe
Two-Hand Damage: 202 to 1048
Durability: 26 of 26
Required Dexterity: 75
Required Strength: 195
Required Level: 64
Polearm Class - Very Fast Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
Item Level: 87
Fingerprint: 0x2424a5b7
+383% Enhanced Damage
30% Increased Attack Speed
Prevent Monster Heal
50% Chance to cast Level 16 Bone Spear on striking
Level 14 Corpse Explosion (7/30 Charges)
Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired), Socketed (2: 2 used)

Slothman

Diabloii.Net Member
While on the subject of merc weapons and the like does anyone have a recomendation of what to socket an ethereal kelpie (Meph runnning) with? shael? jewl of some sort? :scratch:

DeathMaster

Diabloii.Net Member
Big_P said:
The Reaper's Toll is the best mercenary for every class except for Necromancers, because of the Decrepify casting. That's why my Summoner's mercenary uses this weapon:

Bonehew
Ogre Axe
Nice weapon.

but not everyone use A2 merc. You can't put reaper's on a barb merc or rogue merc.

DeathMaster

Diabloii.Net Member
Slothman said:
While on the subject of merc weapons and the like does anyone have a recomendation of what to socket an ethereal kelpie (Meph runnning) with? shael? jewl of some sort? :scratch:
Amn wouldn't be bad. Shael is nice too if your merc have enough LL from other source. I know you can't leech from meph, but your merc needs to kill other thing than meph.

On paper, the best is Ber to fill the socket, in practic, I doubt any legit player can afford it.

GooberGrape

Diabloii.Net Member
I use the following 3 in rotation:

Kelpie (bosses)
Bonehew (necros and ctc curse users)
Reaper's (everything else)

I always use Guillaume's Face for off-weapon CB.

-GG

SeDnA

Diabloii.Net Member
I play ladder, so I think insight/infinity =P

If it's SP, eth reapers toll hands down thanks to decrepify.

Nautilus

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm following the bandwagon here, but Reaper's Toll got my vote too. I've never tried the Tomb Reaver, and I've never seen these as ethereal items, but Reaper's Toll seems strongest and fastest for all around monster fighting.

I've recently taken to using act 1 cold arrow mercs a lot more though, so one option not up there that I would have voted for is witchwild string.

BFD

Diabloii.Net Member
I went with ribcracker. Although if my merc could use it I might have voted for something else.

Lucky_Seven

Diabloii.Net Member
Big_P said:
Bonehew
Ogre Axe
Durability: 26 of 26
Required Dexterity: 75
Required Strength: 195
Required Level: 64
Polearm Class - Very Fast Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
Item Level: 87
Fingerprint: 0x2424a5b7
+383% Enhanced Damage
30% Increased Attack Speed
Prevent Monster Heal
50% Chance to cast Level 16 Bone Spear on striking
Level 14 Corpse Explosion (7/30 Charges)
Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired), Socketed (2: 2 used)
What you have in the sockets ?

bill_n_opus said:
For Boss running:

- upped eth Hone Sundan (if you are a necro with your own curses this is the best merc weapon, period) - Crushing Blow really rules. Try it sometime, i've got a 3 sock Tomb Reaver that does 3 times the damage of my socketed regular Hone and gets outperformed bigtime. Scale up the players setting and it's even worse. No contest.
I disagree with higher players settings CB looses power it doesnt scale with /players X command.

At /players 8 it takes the same monster life that in /players 1 so a big weapon does more damage.

I like The Reapers Toll :) and this for a Cl 27 merc.

Honor
Lance
'AmnElIthTirSol'
Two-Hand Damage: 113 to 453
Durability: 13 of 13
Required Dexterity: 78
Required Strength: 100
Required Level: 27

bill_n_opus

Diabloii.Net Member
Lucky_Seven said:
What you have in the sockets ?

I disagree with higher players settings CB looses power it doesnt scale with /players X command.

At /players 8 it takes the same monster life that in /players 1 so a big weapon does more damage.

I like The Reapers Toll :) and this for a Cl 27 merc.

Honor
Lance
'AmnElIthTirSol'
Two-Hand Damage: 113 to 453
Durability: 13 of 13
Required Dexterity: 78
Required Strength: 100
Required Level: 27
True, Crushing Blow doesn't scale with players setting ... but the reality is that it still rules.

You're getting the principles of Crushing Blow not scaling mixed up with effectiveness. Even on players8 the Crushing Blow outperforms better damage weapons without Crushing Blow.

Baal being a prime example.

Try it sometime. Baal would be painful to beat on without some Crushing Blow to help you along the way.

corax

Diabloii.Net Member
bill_n_opus said:
True, Crushing Blow doesn't scale with players setting ... but the reality is that it still rules.

You're getting the principles of Crushing Blow not scaling mixed up with effectiveness. Even on players8 the Crushing Blow outperforms better damage weapons without Crushing Blow.

Baal being a prime example.

Try it sometime. Baal would be painful to beat on without some Crushing Blow to help you along the way.

lets all just use a cranium basher so everyone is happy.

75% CB and big dmg :drool:

batuchka

Diabloii.Net Member
Ok perhaps u dun get these runwords on SP but my favourite merc weapons :

'Insight' in ethereal elite polearm (infinity mana, mf!)

'Obedience' in ethereal thresher (40% cb, 9xx dmg!)

bill_n_opus said:
True, Crushing Blow doesn't scale with players setting ... but the reality is that it still rules
Don't agree here. 'Generally' CB is king, but it is overrated as it does not scale. A much better option is Static Field combined with a high physical damage output.

The reality is that the damage bonus from CB decreases as HP decrease, meaning the returns are continually diminishing.

Static Field is much better.

corax

Diabloii.Net Member
Dark Bushido said:
Don't agree here. 'Generally' CB is king, but it is overrated as it does not scale. A much better option is Static Field combined with a high physical damage output.

The reality is that the damage bonus from CB decreases as HP decrease, meaning the returns are continually diminishing.

Static Field is much better.
except after the 3rd SF in hell it doesnt work anymore. whereas CB works till the monster dies :D

necrolemming said:
But the remaining 1/2 life would still take longer to chip away, even with high phys dmg, than high CB.
How much longer? 1 minute? 2 minutes? 10 minutes? 30 seconds?

Take a high damage weapon such as Schaefer's Hammer. Surely the difference between times with and without CB would not be astronomically different?

Don't get me wrong, 'generally' CB is very good, however it is not 'King'.

When you look at another option: Reaper's Toll. The Decrepify in effect doubles your damage.

It would be interesting to time how long it takes to kill Hell Baal to see exactly how much time wise CB does make a difference.

DeathMaster

Diabloii.Net Member
Dark Bushido said:
It would be interesting to time how long it takes to kill Hell Baal to see exactly how much time wise CB does make a difference.
I didn't take the time, but from my HC fishy experience, CB kills hell baal faster than pure big damage.

corax

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm playing atm. but afterwards if i remember I'll Try to run through the numbers and we'll see