Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Poll:Merc weapons

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by WolfenMonkey, Apr 29, 2005.

?

Worf vs. Chewy

1. Worf

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Chewy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Durf beer poing boobies etc....

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. WolfenMonkey

WolfenMonkey IncGamers Member

Poll:Merc weapons

I'm wondering what merc weapon is the most efficient one out there. Please place your vote.

2. XtasyGrizzly

XtasyGrizzly IncGamers Member

ill go with the bonehew really nice ;)

3. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

Reaper's Toll...No doubt about it. Huge damage, fast, and lots of life leech makes for a godly mercenary weapon. Throw in some Decreipify and there's no competetion at all.

No mercenaries are able to use Ribcracker...

4. Boulos

Boulos IncGamers Member

I chose none of the above. Maybe it's because I'm not "rich" enough to have any of those items. But my merc uses an "upped" Kelpie Snare. He does pretty good with it.

5. deathsguard666

deathsguard666 IncGamers Member

i'm going with the reaper's toll. decrep goes off almost every hit.

6. jjscud

jjscud IncGamers Member

It depends greatly on what you're doing, I would pick kelpie snare for baal running over any of these, but for general use, I love my AmnShael Eth Bonehew

Bonehew
    Ogre Axe
    'AmnShael'
    Two-Hand Damage: 172 to 889
    Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired), Socketed (2: 2 used)

7. DougTheHead2

DougTheHead2 IncGamers Member

Where's Hone Sundan? Anyway, my answer is still Reapers, tho. :p

8. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

Depends what I'm doing. Reaper's Toll or Bonehew are great all-purpose weapons, but for boss running I prefer an upp'd Kelpie Snare. Decent Damage, and the 75% slow makes taking down /p8 Baal a matter of loading up on mana pots and holding down the mouse button while idly daydreaming about monkeys, secure in the knowledge that he won't get off a single attack.

- Noodle

9. WolfenMonkey

WolfenMonkey IncGamers Member

Hmm, I'm glad I didn't have the runes for the upgrade then. Somewhere in my mind i have upped ribcrackers all over it, why would sorcs upgrade them then?

10. FodderCannoned

FodderCannoned IncGamers Member

tombreaver is my prefered weapon for mercs, it has +restances and +mf good stuff

11. Dodgydave

Dodgydave IncGamers Member

Etheral Reapers Toll is pretty much the best all round weapon there is for an Act 2 merc IMHO.

12. farting bob

farting bob Banned

hone sundan is my favourite, along with the reapers. (but i dont have an eth one) ribcracker cannot be used, and bonehew is kind of the poor man's reaper.
    Kelpie is nice, but with proabbly constant decrep from reapers anyway slowing him down 50% and stopping him from hurting your merc as much, and kelpie's lower damage (even before decrep), i think that kelpie just isnt as good.

13. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

Witchwild String!

What?

14. bill_n_opus

bill_n_opus IncGamers Member

Depends on situation and paired with which character. Obviously, most chars will benefit most from an eth Reaper's for the ctc Decrep which aids safety and damage to melee/physical dam chars. However, chars that are safe like a summoner necro don't need the ctc decrep and the lack of CB on the Reaper's makes it less desirable for Boss running unless you get other sources of CB which then makes your choices harder ...

For Boss running:

- upped eth Hone Sundan (if you are a necro with your own curses this is the best merc weapon, period) - Crushing Blow really rules. Try it sometime, i've got a 3 sock Tomb Reaver that does 3 times the damage of my socketed regular Hone and gets outperformed bigtime. Scale up the players setting and it's even worse. No contest.

- upped eth Kelpie Snare (the slow is amazing and the damage is alright but the safety factor allows Boss running where perhaps you'd be merc reviving)

All around use:

- eth Reaper's Toll (for the decrep, good damage and safety)
    - eth Tomb Reaver with 3 socks (insane damage, all around performance with great MF and resists)
    - eth Arioc's Needle (extra oomph on merc aura, decent damage ... but no life leech though)

15. Boulos

Boulos IncGamers Member

Reading posts like this just remeinds me how many items I still don't have. :)

16. NeckRomancer

NeckRomancer IncGamers Member

It's not used by sorcs, unless they're of the rare melee sorc variety. Upgraded ribcrackers are used by melee characters such as paladins, mace barbs, and shapeshifting druids. The high damage, low reqs, IAS and 50% Crushing Blow are all very useful to melee characters. The idea probably came from Hellfire, the sequel of Diablo 1, where combat staves were made available for use by the monk class characters.

edit: reaper's toll rules! hoping to get an eth one somehow.

however, a kelpie is the best against Meph and Baal on low player settings to help keep your merc alive. it doesn't have to be eth or upgraded to be useful.

17. kabal

kabal IncGamers Member

I always like Windforce on a rogue. My PvM zealot used his first fire rogue merc from Act 1 norm all the way to Patriarch, and with a WF, some IAS gear, and a high level fanaticism, she just mows monsters down. For Act 2 mercs I prefer an upped eth Kelpie unless I have no way of dealing with PI's, in which case I use a Reaper's. I only have one upped eth Kelpie that sits on my baal runner's merc, however, so most of my mercs are still using Reaper's.

18. bill_n_opus

bill_n_opus IncGamers Member

I donated one to Rizzo's giveaway so some lucky bum will get one.

I forgot about Bonehews ... they are pretty good weapons considering you can equip them on your merc at ~ level 64 (with alot of +str help from helm and armor though IIRC). Big, big damage and pretty fast and the bone spears actually help you maintain location on your merc ... which is actually a nice indicator if you play summoner necros and your merc sometimes gets lost in the confusion.

The best mid-game act 2 merc weapon however is the HONOR runeword made from an eth Lance. Useable at ~ level 28 and does something like 125-400ish damage. Absolutely owns until you are ready to make the jump to the next level. Only thing missing is crushing blow but that can come from a Guillame's Face.

19. Dark Bushido

Dark Bushido Banned

So we are talking about Act II mercs?

Code:
    *     Reaper's Toll
    *     Kelpie Snare
    *     Hone Sundan
    *     Tomb Reaver
    *     Crescent Moon

I voted for Reaper's.

20. NeckRomancer

NeckRomancer IncGamers Member

Fingers are crossed. Hoping I will be the lucky bum... :D

PS: No experience yet using them but would a good Doom runeword weapon also be a good possibility? A might merc using that would rock...unless he comes across a boss pack of CI frenzytaurs. :rolleyes: