Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Poll: Avenger Weapon

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by MrPipes, Mar 16, 2004.

?

Which shield is best for zeal vs zeal battles?

Poll closed Jul 18, 2004.
  1. HoZ --Either Eth or non Eth.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Alma Negra --Nearly Perfect.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Eth Exile Pala Shield With +All Resist.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Storm Shield (SS)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other Type not listed.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. MrPipes

MrPipes IncGamers Member

Poll: Avenger Weapon

Planning on making an Avenger once I've gotten my summoner necromancer to where I want him. Been reading the guide on Avenger's by Cyrus, and other tidbits of information. From what I've gathered, the damage of Vengeance depends on the PHYSICAL damage of your weapon, and nothing else. So I'm assuming it is best to find a very high physical damage weapon (one handed of course) which has a fairly quick base speed and use that.

Right now, I think my best option is a near perfect 298% ED Cranebreak War Spike. I think it would do some decent damage when turned into elemental. Can anyone comment on that?

I'll see if I can get a poll to work. (I'll add in the traditional choices)

2. powerteo

powerteo IncGamers Member

lightsabre

I prefer lightsabre as it has 25% lightning absorb which i believe is important in hell (hate those black souls....)

3. FenRiR

FenRiR IncGamers Member

id go for heaven light , it has decent dmg compared to others and got +3 to pala skills and sockets which is very useful

4. wisedoor

wisedoor IncGamers Member

Upped rare ethereal dimensional sword / cristal sword with 3xx%+ enhanced damage, +6x max damage and +40 ias upgraded to an ethereal indestructible phase blade. THIS would be THE avenger weapon.

I used a Cruel Phase of Evisceration in 1.09.

5. wisedoor

wisedoor IncGamers Member

Upped rare ethereal dimensional sword / cristal sword with 3xx%+ enhanced damage, +6x max damage and +40 ias upgraded to an ethereal indestructible phase blade. THIS would be THE avenger weapon.

I used a Cruel Phase of Evisceration in 1.09. Phases need 50 ias to reach 8 fpa.
    Horazon´s would be a nice weapon due to Slow and good range, and good inate IAS. It needs a total of 145 to reach 8fpa thu.

6. MrPipes

MrPipes IncGamers Member

Hmm. Interesting, wisedoor. I had a very similiar rare weapon. Rare Elegent Blade, +375ish ED, +40 IAS, Dual 8% Leech. I put it on my old Zealot just to see what kind of damage, and it did something like 600-1500 normal damage. With a nice sexy Vengeance bonus it would have been through the roof.

Anyways, I remember that I had a +2 skills, 2 socket 296ED (4 off from perfect) Heaven's Light, and was still clean. Seeing as that weapon has pure physical damage, I think it's my leading candidate (I feel Lightsabre just doesn't have enough power, although the absorb is enticing, I think I can get it off other items). Anyone got suggestions on what to put in the sockets? On my avenger build, I think I'm going to go with a few IAS items, so would it be necessary to socket the HL with Shael's/15IAS jewels? Or would it be best to try and search out some 35+ ED jewels? Or something else?

7. Rius666

Rius666 IncGamers Member

i think u need 155% ias to hit 8fps with a mighty scept which is max but only around 90% ias or something like that to hit 9 fps which is pretty acceptable. So if u wanna go for max fps better get tons of ias items otherwise use the sockets for ed jewels or amn runes or p skulls.

btw another decent wep would be azurewrath tho i havent really tried this yet. Just heard it was good from ppl.

8. AFBrat

AFBrat IncGamers Member

I like Djinn Slayer but ONLY if it has 2 sockets and is 2x Shaeled. This actually gives an Avenger decent speed even without OIAS. It has the best fire damage of any weapon in the game, and it does nice physical damage vs demons, as well as the all-important ML for Vengeance.

If it only has 1 socket I would go with Nord's, unless Demon Limb was ethereal (it has self-repair).

9. AFBrat

AFBrat IncGamers Member

Oh hi Mr Pipes :wave: , I remember you from my lottery a while back (pretty sure it was you, you got the bows), I wanted to mention also 2xShaeled Djinn Slayer is 9 fps alone with no OIAS using Vengeance. It would be simple to get it to 8 fps, only need 40% IAS additional. The physical damage against non-demons is not high, but its very nice vs Demons. Good luck with your decision from this poll ;)

10. Evanta

Evanta IncGamers Member

Grisworld's Caddy all the way! the only weapon to hit 8fps w/o outside IAS!

11. LovelyGods

LovelyGods Banned

i vote other.

go find / make a crafted / rare Zerk axe with

400+ed and Fool's Mods

GG probably better then any botd if you get a decent one.

This would be the ultimate weapon.

12. eviljr.

eviljr. IncGamers Member

i voted on a r/w and i say a famine zerker or a glimmershred is nice 2 if its eth and zodded

13. MrPipes

MrPipes IncGamers Member

Hey AFBrat, good to see you're still posting. Thanks for the bows! :howdy:

Anyways...obviously the most prominant factor in my decision will be overall damage and speed, for the most optimal results in this build. Please inform me on some of the prices of things like Djinn Slayers (with two sockets), and Gris Caddy's.

But definetly strength and dexterity requirements come into play here in my decision. Seems like a fair thing to say that I'll be needing around 80-100 base dexterity in order to achieve 75% block (which I will). So, I'll type up some of the reqs for all these little treasures. (who cares about lvl)

Str Dex
    Lightsabre: 25 136
    Baranar's: 153 44
    Cranebreak: 133 54
    Heaven's Light: 125 65
    Azurewrath: 25 136
    Djinn Slayer: 95 138
    Nord's: ** 43
    Schaeffer's: 189 -
    Demon Limb: 133 -
    Horizon's: 100 62
    Bloodmoon: 109 122
    Frostwind: 99 109
    Death Cleaver: 138 59
    Gris Caddy: 78 56

Hmm. Well. Strength wise, Baranar's is about where I think I'd like to be at so I have the option of using other gear if I change my mind. But I'd like to use a weapon that also makes me utilise my dexterity for something other than blocking. Any comments on this table?

14. Evanta

Evanta IncGamers Member

Think baranar's is not optimal anymore, so you don't need the high STR req, and pump more vita instead.

I'll suggest aiming for 138 STR, and have these weapons as shortlist:

Pure Speed and super low ability [email protected]
    Gris Caddy: 78 56

Massive Fire Damage @9fps
    Djinn Slayer: 138 95 (u got it switched ard)

Massive Cold Damage + Freeze Target (defensive) @9/10 fps
    (9 needs IAS jewel + 20IAS gloves)
    Nord's: ** 43

Crushing Blow for running Act Bosses @10 fpa w/ IAS gloves and x2 shaels
    Heaven's Light: 125 65

Light Absorb for Black Souls @9fps w/ IAS jewel, @8 w/ IAS gloves:
    Lightsabre: 25 136

15. GatoMuerto

GatoMuerto IncGamers Member

I had a question on what runeword would be best for vengeance a bit ago.
    http://www.rpgforums.net/showthread.php?t=147424

My personal choice came down to between famine and beast, and that was mostly because of what runes I would get first. I stopped playing for a little bit, so I haven't tried getting runes yet, so can't say what was better in personal experience.

Importance in weapon:
    pure phys damage (for multiplication for vengeance)
    speed of weapon (to kill your enemies)

not always in that order. lol.

BotD is still king, but why would you want to look like everyone else?

16. elahadrim

elahadrim IncGamers Member

I Hate to say it but....

I am playing a lvl88 Avenger, After trying every weaponed mentioned on the forums I have to say a BOTD phase blade is the way to go. It comes w enough ias to hit 8fps all by itself (55ias needed) and the damage is awsome.
    About the only thing left that can take my avenger out is Iron Maiden if i am not paying attention.
    LS would be a good choice if you dont use tgods.... but the damage doesnt come close and 8fps is an absoulute necesity for hell.
    I use harley
    chromatic ammy
    ravenfrost
    one ring slot for whats needed
    ss with p diamond
    drakules
    t-gods
    CoH w 900 def
    Rare boots
    Botd phase
    24 3-20-20s
    3 290 spc
    also max holy shield, vengence, conviction w 10 into cold and light res
    and rest into defiance
    with a dwarf star on im immune to all elemental and 50% pdr 9500 def 2500-3500 damage but it sure isnt acurate