Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Poll: Alcoholics?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by DaviddeJong, May 17, 2005.

?

Which are you?

1. Left Wing.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Right Wing.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Neither/ don't know etc.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. DaviddeJong

DaviddeJong IncGamers Member

Poll: Alcoholics?

In quite a number of threads the subjects of alcohol, beer, drinking, getting wasted and stuff come up.

I even caught myself mentioning it in a post!

I am BTW a student and drink quite a lot (only beer; liquor sucks) and I was wondering:

Are we all alcoholics in the OTF or what?

David.

2. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

My mother and father are both alcoholics. In fact, my mother's side of the family has a long history of alcoholism. I was a fairly heavy drinker myself in high school and college but after graduation I pretty much stopped.

I like a beer on a hot summer evening or during grillouts and I also sometimes enjoy a nice gin and tonic with a pipeful of tobacco, but that's about it. I daresay that a case of beer would probably last me a couple years - it would go stale before I got around to drinking it all.

Oh, I have a liquor cabinet too - the bottles inside are ancient and dusty. There is an unopened bottle of Everclear way in the back that has to be at least 12 years old by now. Who wants a shot? :lol:

3. masterazn

masterazn Banned

Just because you get drunk doesn't make you an alcoholic...it makes you...a binge drinker! Which is totally okay by the way.

4. DaviddeJong

Well.....

At the university they make a big hassle out of alcoholism under students.

I've read some brochures and stuff; they point out that binge-drinking once a week actually qualifies as being an alcoholic.

So, while I don't consider myself an alcoholic, I (and a lot of students with me) probably fall under that category.

I agree Masterazn; I don't think binge-drinking in my "college-years" is a problem. As soon as I get a job and have to get up early in the morning I'll quit that "fraternity-lifestyle" (I'm an intern now, it really changed my weekly habits; no drinking on working days; 7 am is a #####).

Sorry to hear about your parents Dredd.....
    But good on ya, mate: I don't touch liquor myself either!

David.

5. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

*sigh*

Drinking doesn't make you an alcoholic, contrary to what some people will likely march in here and say.

*awaits lecture from the self-righteous about how drinking is going to destroy my life despite the fact that I rarely drink*

6. DaviddeJong

Thank God!

Thank God!

Drinking doesn't make me an alcoholic!

I'll drink to that...

David.

7. dirkdig

dirkdig IncGamers Member

I'm a binger, but not as bad as many college students. I'll drink heavily, enough to get pretty buzzed (5-6 drinks over a couple hours) about once a week, and I'll get trashed about once every 6 weeks. Not an alcoholic by any means...

8. Namyeknom

Namyeknom IncGamers Member

According to UK guidelines drinking 5 pints in one sitting makes you a binge drinker.

Obviously ridiculous, I need just that to get rid of these damn mood swings...

9. Johnny

Johnny Banned

I started drinking when I was 4 years old. Got alcohol from most grown ups in the family from my grandmother to my mother and father and I drank quiet alot. Then when I was 12 I decided to stop drinking compleatly and I became a "Tea toddler" as you could call it. I havent had a drink in 6 almost 7 years and I will never drink alcoholic beverages again.

But even I remember how good a beer tasted with barbecued food and salty snacks. Beer tastes great and so does alot of other alcohol drinks but Its all just a can of worms I can live without.

10. Suicidal Zebra

Suicidal Zebra IncGamers Member

I don't drink, at all. And as I stated a long time ago on these boards, I am not convinced that a total abstinence policy isn't as harmful in the long run as binge drinking during student days.

Though I think that binge-drinking, as well as alcoholism, is a significant problem, I think that it is too much a part of Western Culture and social make-up to realistically think that significantly restricting it's consumption, never mid banning it, is wise, or even possible.

EDIT: The word is 'teetotaler' Johnny :)

11. cotton

cotton IncGamers Member

I've always thought that overall behavioural changes were much more important than ammount consumed in determining whether you have a problem. I know a lot of people that get ripped on occasion (me included) that I do not believe are alcoholics.

Now, if you start missing work and family obligations to drink, if your life begins to revolve around the cocktail hour, if you find you must have a drink in order to sleep/get up/relax/live, then the situation becomes different. The fact that I like partying like a rock star til 3am and drinking while I'm doing it doesn't doesn't make me an alcy, so long as the alcohol doesn't control my life.

12. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Couldn't have said it better, cotton. Quoted because it bears repeating.

13. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

Like anything else, in moderation drinking is ok.

The fact is, though, that at some point, some of those who indulge in occasional binge drinking will step over the line and become true alcoholics. It has to start somewhere.

But some won't.

A lot of people who right now don't think they have a problem, will look back later over the smoking ruin of their lives and realize they made a mistake.

Chances are that if you are worrying about it, you may be going too far. Might be a good time to cut back.

Good luck.
    DC, I'll save the self-righteous crap for later, if you try to defend alcoholism. Not defend drinking, but defend alcoholism.

14. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

(*&(#$*&(#@$

I just had a nice long well-thought-out response to you MV, and the forums farted.

BAH

Cliffs notes: My comment wasn't directed at you, as you and I have reached a reasonable agreement in such discussions before, my concern is more with the inevitable poster who insists that drinking at all for any recreational reason is tantamount to needing an intervention.

I also noted that while there was a time that I was concerned about my own drinking, the fact that the moment I was removed from the college environment my drinking decreased to almost nothing overnight assuaged my concerns.

15. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Who has time to get drunk?

I like drinking, but I think I've only had alcohol twice this quarter (since the end of March). I don't tink under any system I could be called an alcoholic. Maybe if I had more free time, and less responsibilities, I'd drink more, but probably not. I'd probably spend more time playing video games.

16. front243

front243 IncGamers Member

I don't drink, in fact I hate being drunk and out of control with myself. I like partying and so on, but I can have plenty fun being sober as well.

17. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

I rarely drink, and when I do, its very controlled. (a glass of beer for diner, etc.) thats the way. Not those party-every-weekends-styles really...

However, last week was a week of vacation in Russia, and whoops, low prices do wonders.
    No need to worry though, back in Sweden now, and all is normal...

18. nrabbit

nrabbit IncGamers Member

i can say that i drink a lot but i don't think that i am an alcoholic. i like alcohol but i am definetely not addicted to it

19. Darnoc

Darnoc IncGamers Member

I have done some research on this before..

For males, no more than four drinks (be it a beer, shot, or glass of wine) on 3-4 days weekly will not have any adverse effects(like not drinking at all, or actually better than not drinking at all), in fact this low amount will lower your risk of heart desease; anything over that on any single occasion has the reverse effect and puts you at a greater risk.

For females it is different; no more than two drinks on 3-4 days weekly. Anything over that will put them at greater risk. This is due to males having an enzyme in their stomach as well as their liver that breaks down alcohol. Females only have this enzyme in their liver making them less tolerant of alcohol, resulting in a higher blood-alcohol content off of fewer beers than males, a greater risk of developing alcoholism, and a lower level of safe drinking.

On a side note- a glass of red wine contains polyphenoids that originate in the skin of the grapes used to make the red wine, especially Cabernet Sauvignon, which makes it significantly lower heart disease risks over other alcohol types. Also, red wines when consumed with a "fatty" meal (i.e. fried chicken, or steak) causes the body to not digest the excess fat and only pull out the protein; this allows you to in effect eat almost anything without gaining excess weight as long as you drink red wine with it. This explains why the French have the lowest rates of heart disease in the world.

If anyone wants the sources, I'll be more than happy to dig up the weblinks to the scientific journals I obtained this data from.

Drunk Cajun- anytime I type out a long post here, I do a quick ctrl A + ctrl C in case something goes wrong so I dont hafta retype it if something goes wrong. Might help ya.

20. nrabbit

nrabbit IncGamers Member

only red wine can lower the risks of a heart attack :drink:
    cheers