Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Poleaxe setup critique please

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by chaca, Apr 5, 2005.

1. chaca

chaca IncGamers Member

Poleaxe setup critique please

After talking so much with Rik the urge has become overwhelming. Slowly but surely I've been acquiring the gear for my poleaxe barb. I've got the majority of the setup but would like to hear everyone's critique. And No, you cannot persuade me to use anything but the poleaxe.

Standard skills, eg max ww, mastery, bo, shout

Gear:

BOTD Great Poleaxe
    arreats: cant decide if I should um it or slap in a 40% ED jool (don't know if I can get myself to ith it)
    Fortitude
    SOE
    metalgrid
    Raven
    BK
    Gores
    steelrends

most likely 2x echoing weps on switch. full stash of WC GCs and Max DMG/AR/misc mod charms. topping off with vita scs w/res.

Might Merc with reapers, shaft and gaze

Comments?

2. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

The only thing I can say is...cool. I'd rather use that Great Poleaxe on a fury druid but taste differs. I'd Um that Arreat's Face, you already have quite a lot damage, but not a lot of resists. Good luck.

3. chaca

chaca IncGamers Member

Well if I decide to pickup an eth sup great poleaxe I'll let you know I have a regular one available.

4. Chimaira

Thanks for the offer but I play single player, so no godly runewords for me:( I can only dream...

5. chaca

chaca IncGamers Member

Rik and Hal, I know you got something to say.

6. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

Highlord's Wrath >>>>>>>>>>> Any other barb ammy

1.10 pvp or pvm doesn't matter

7. rikstaker

rikstaker IncGamers Member

Hi Chaca! :uhhuh:

Thats a pretty solid setup you got there.With the damage from fortitude,you'll be overkilling most critters,so it was a good move to use grid in place of wrath(resists,ar & defense).

I wouldnt ith arreats,fortitude has dtm too,so all depends on how your resist look like,I doubt it will be a problem since fort/grid give plenty,there is natural resists & some lighning & fire res scs are nice to have.So go ahead with the ed jewel.

I'd suggest mastery over warcry gcs.dmg/ar/def > lif/def.Since you are using the "bad boy" I'd say you can be a bit creative with stats & break the str enough 4 gear law.You'll will net a lot of dmg for every strength point & with your massive leech survival wont be a problem against anything that can be leeched of.Use crowd control on skellies/archers/gloams.So if I were you I would place around 350 in strength.

Your mercenary gear needs revision too.With shout & bo,he'd be quite a tank,why not use levi on him for higher defense?dont tell me the one you traded was your last caz I wont give it back. :uhhuh:

They survive pretty well with 20% dr/leech & high defense.So gaze isnt necessary.Use one of your andys that you have amassed.+2 skills means 20% more might ed for you & him(yummy!),further 20% ias is just gravy:lady:

Reapers is hands down the best choice,ony the new r/w(cant remember name) that gives concentration comes close,IIRC its quite expensive.

Rik

8. Decebal

Decebal IncGamers Member

I would have chosen Verdungos instead of SOE!

/Dec

9. Chimaira

This is of course just nitpicking but an upgraded Shaftstop would probably be better than a Leviathan, unless you get a very good (perfect) one.

10. Lunatic

Lunatic IncGamers Member

I actually like Metalgrid myself aswell. Sure you'll do more dmg per hit with highlord's , but the AR increase helps you connect more , which in turn gives you a better dmg / sec aswell. Not to mention it can boost your defense and resist alot aswell.

11. chaca

chaca IncGamers Member

Dec: I chose SOE for the reasons listed in RIK's guide. I have a perfect one, so the drd is the same as dungo.

I'll eventually slap a visage on the merc, but I have to wait until level 83 before that happens. I have another levi, but the drd is only 18. If I take off the gaze, then I think that the upped shaft will suite me better.

The RW you are thinking about with conc is Pride. Cham Sur Io Lo. Expensive is an understatement, besides, I can think of some other uses for those high runes.

After I slap in the mastery GCs I'll see how my resists pan out. That will decide whether or not I'll um the Arreats. I'll play with Str/vit balance as I go. will have to see how things turn out with the end game gear on before I slap so much into str.

Of course Rik, you know that you will have to stay up late or get up early one night to see him once he is completed :lol:

12. Decebal

Decebal IncGamers Member

Well Riks guide is great but Verdungo give you better stats overall!

Verdungo's Hearty Cord
    Mithril Coil
    Defense: 125-158 (Defense: 58-65)
    Required Level: 63
    Required Strength: 106
    Durability: 16
    16 Boxes
    +90-140% Enhanced Defense (varies)
    10% Faster Hit Recovery
    +30-40 To Vitality (varies)
    Replenish Life +10-13 (varies)
    +100-120 Maximum Stamina (varies)
    Damage Reduced By 10-15% (varies)

U get more defense, FHR, + to vitality, replenish life and of course Dr 15%.

If u really need LL from SOE use SOE but you shoud have no problem since u have Arreat + BOTD + BK. This should give at least 18% LL (dont the LL % on your gear). Plus the vitality bonus on Verdungo will yield into more life After BO! ;)

/Dec

13. Sint Nikolaas

Sint Nikolaas IncGamers Member

Actually that'll make little difference, the +vit isn't multiplied by bo. You'll just get the standard amount of HP 40 vit will give you.

14. rikstaker

double post >.< :lady:

15. rikstaker

@chaca;go ahead with shaft :thumbsup:

@dec,verdungoes isnt bad,both give same dr & as mentioned above +to vit isnt doubled by bo.Apart from leech soe has magic damage reduction,which GREATLY reduces the dmg from elemental attacks,since in pvm individual bolts dont do much dmg but the dmg adds up with the numbers,so in the end mdr soaks up a lot of ele dmg.This is especially helpful againt lightning enchanted enemies like beetles.

Rik

16. Decebal

Decebal IncGamers Member

Ok must have understod wrong the +to vit function from verdungo. Thought it affected the total life output after BO. :p

Lets say that u manage to have maximum resist using chacas gear +75 to all in hell, does that mean that the damage reduction from SOE against elemental attacks is still vital?

/Dec

17. oscarmk1

oscarmk1 IncGamers Member

you could use 2x 3 bo ctas, that gives you 8 bo total.

18. Decebal

Decebal IncGamers Member

I want see if anyone besides the uber rich do that when playing PvM... :D

For PvP its with dual cta that give a total of 8 BO...

/Dec

19. chaca

chaca IncGamers Member

@dec: even with maxed res in hell, the elemental attacks still drop the life bulb rather quickly. I think everyone can agree here that a pack of black souls will put a hurt on you very quickly. Kinda sucks when you see that white spiderweb with the apex centered on your char. Although I beleive this char can get max res. Its basically the same setup as my current barb and the only res i'd be losing is the um in my SS. However, if I use mastery GCs like Rik suggested, then I might be able to cover that. we shall see

@oscar: think I'll just stick to +3 echoing weps.

20. Taz

Taz IncGamers Member

For merc i found that a good option is Guardian Angel armor and for helmet - COA with 1 soket (cheaper) both or only COA soketed with IAS jewels.
    The +max rez helps a lot where shout/bo can`t do much - ele attaks - expecialy vs boses where mercs have dmg penalty.
    For belt - i prefer Thundergod`s - same stats amount as perfect Verdungo and 10 max LR (souls become a joke) instead of fhr&pdr - and i usually dump the left skillpoints in shout.
    Stats - i`d aim to get 4k life than rest in str.
    As for amy in pvm i think Highlord`s > Mara > Metalgrid. There`s only little difference in ar/def betwen mara and metalgrid.