Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Polearm Sorceress

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Nightfire05, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Nightfire05

Nightfire05 Diabloii.Net Member

Polearm Sorceress

As the title says, I'm building a Sorceress that will use nothing but Polearm-class weapons (with one exception) throughout the game. She's currently using a Bardiche, and so I had some questions.

What are the breakpoints for a Sorceress wielding a polearm, and what would be a good amount of IAS to shoot for? Also, gear suggestions would be nice. Here is my current list, of what I know.

Helm: Darksight Helm Basinet
    Amulet: Mara's Kaleidoscope Amulet
    Weapon: Bonehew Ogre Axe with AmnAmn
    Weapon 2: Passion Phase Blade (for Oblivion Knights, FIs, and fast Zealing fun)
    Armor: ???
    Gloves: Dracul's Grasp Vampirebone Gloves
    Rings: Dwarf Star, Bul Katho's Wedding Band
    Belt: Thundergod's Vigor War Belt, possibly Verdungo's Hearty Cord
    Boots: Marrowwalk(?), Waterwalk

Most of it I know, but what would be other good options for armor, rings, and boots? I'm thinking Marrowwalks may make the Bone Spear a little helpful, but unsure. If anyone can help me, feel free to do so.

2. Gohanman

Gohanman Diabloii.Net Member

Sorc w/ Ogre Axe

IAS fpa Attacks per second
    0 % 15 1.6
    9 % 14 1.7
    18 % 13 1.9
    30 % 12 2
    48 % 11 2.2
    75 % 10 2.5
    125 % 9 2.7

EDIT: If you want a big, hurty 2-handed weapons, sorcs get great swing rates with 2-handed axes.

3. Nightfire05

Thank you for the Bonehew breakpoints, Gohan. I would use something different, but there's a little story behind this. I was playing HC Ladder online a month or so back, and ended up going melee with my Sorceress. I picked up a Bardiche, and nearly died laughing at the effectiveness. Ever since then, I've wanted to make a Sorceress using one.

4. Johney

Johney Diabloii.Net Member

I've think an enchantress with an ik maul is a viable build. I remember seeming one in a MP game a while back.

EDIT: Ignore this post, i didn't read the "polearm" part....

5. Artagas

Artagas Diabloii.Net Member

Is socketing AmnAmn a good idea, with Dracul's grasp on? You will be leeching enough already. (You can zeal first so life tap triggers fast, than switch to your polearm). I haven't checked bp-s but my guess is that shael-shael or shael-ed would be more useful.

6. Nightfire05

Artagas, now that you mention it, I'm thinking ShaelShael might be better. Dracul's will let me leech a bit, and I'll have Bul Katho's too, so I think my leech will be solved. I need 75% IAS for the breakpoint I want, and that will be 40 in the weapon itself. So, 35 more from other equipment. Possibly a 15 IAS jewel in the helm?

7. Liliel

Liliel Diabloii.Net Member

You're an enchantress, right? You know, Passion works in any weapon. You could make Passion in a Giant Thresher (or any other polearm, but Giant Thresher is fast and looks so cool...) and use it as your main weapon. Better yet, you could get an elite 4 soc staff with all the right staffmods and make a Passion out of that (I think, I haven't tested if it works in staves but I don't see why not) for a decent damage, fast weapon with practically no str/dex requirement.

Or even better... an Hand of Justice Shillelagh with +enchant and FM... a godly enchantress weapon with a godly price tag. *daydreams about finding a cham, sur and lo within this lifetime*

8. Nightfire05

Yes, this character will be an Enchantress with Frozen Orb as backup. That is something I really didn't think of...only problem will be finding the 4 socket Giant Thresher, or Ogre Axe. I wanted to restrict myself to polearm-class weapons, so no Ghost Spears, etc.

9. Liliel

Liliel Diabloii.Net Member

Sorcs are bad with spears anyway. They're good with polearms, staves, mauls and 2h axes.

10. Cattleya

Cattleya Diabloii.Net Member

Sorceresses get the same swing speed for staves, polearms, 2 handed axes, and mauls if the weapon speed modifier is the same. (i.e. -10 axes and polearms have the same IAS breakpoints.) They get almost the same zeal speed with a -10 polearm/axe as they do a phase blade. (Actually, they can hit one more B.P. with a polearm/axe.) From a recent thread about the passion runeword (http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=351941):
    Code:
    Frames   Phase Blade   -10 Polearms/Axes
    11/9                     23
    18/8                     37
    11/8                     39
    9/8        54            60
    10/7       65            80
    9/7                      99

Threshers/Giant Threshers are the only -10 elite polearms, and I would use one of them for the speed if you go with Passion. Another thing to keep in mind is that with a Passion polearm, you will get some nice 'zerk damage, especially when you add in the bonus for all of the strength you will need to use the weapon.

Your equipment set-up is completely different from mine (except for the T-god's and Mara's) but I know that I wasn't using ideal equipment. For armor I would suggest giving Vipermagi a try. I was impressed with how well it worked. You will want some form of FCR for teleport and vipermagi also offers +1 skills, good resists, and MDR.

You will need to get some AR, but if you have the right charms, you could get it there. I did fine with just under 7000 AR, but I had a Rogue merc casting Inner Sight constantly, which allowed me to get away with less than you could otherwise.

I'm not sure a Dwarf Star is your best bet for a ring slot. You might be better off with a good rare ring or a Ravenfrost for the AR and dex, even if you don't need the CBF.