Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Pole or Mace?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Bahamut, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Bahamut

Bahamut IncGamers Member

Pole or Mace?

You see, I am playing a Barb... from what I have seen though, it looks like as if maces (namely mauls) have a distinct advantage as to polearms which saddens me: my current barb is a pole arm master.

I have done a couple of researching and saw that Mauls aren't exactly short ranged (great mauls have a range of 3) compare to pole arms (4). And thinking that there are better mauls in the uniques section (PLUS the maul in the IK set), I think maces are the better weapons.

With the exception of the Pierre Tombale Couant, I feel my Barb won't really be a powerhouse in the long run...

Am I correct? :scratch:

2. Borlag

Borlag IncGamers Member

Well, if you really just want the most powerful guy you can make, you should make a hammerdin. But as you're playing a barbarian that's not the case here is it?

I see absolutely no reason why you shouldn't go for the polebarb, even if it wouldn't be as efficient as IK set barb or maulbarbs in general.

One thing though, I thought that mauls have shorter range than that? Somehow I seem to recall them being only 1?

3. DVAlan

DVAlan IncGamers Member

Quoting from the Arreat Summit: Mauls have a range of 2, Great Muals have a range of 3.

4. SnakeEye85

SnakeEye85 IncGamers Member

yep IK barbs is the way to go

coming from one that only played IK barb in 1.10 :)

5. Randall

Randall IncGamers Member

And polearms have range 5 (well, the 2 biggest ones) and a lot better base speed.

IIRC: if you are using WW this is very important. WW only includes the weapons IAS.

Randall

6. Dolph

Dolph IncGamers Member

Well, if you have the budget there is no reason you shouldn't be able to powerhouse away.
    I am mainly talking about Tomb Reaver It can easily reach a really good ww breakpoint and the damage is really good. But it is rare though, and if you haven't got the items required maybe a maul barb is better.

7. Liter Soul

Liter Soul IncGamers Member

Also it depends on the skill you're using. WW, Berserk, Leap-Attack (Yea, they're out there)? The other thing is that if you go for maces, you can change it up with one hand weapons and still get the bonuses. Also, this allows you to change your mind in the skill department later on. You could decide you like dual wielding better and head over to the Frenzy side. I sound like I'm a maul supporter, but I'm just saying what I've seen. Personally I prefer the polearm. I like the idea that my barb needs some finesse to use his weapon, not just hitting things really hard with something. Plus they look damned cool when you Leap-Attack.

8. Bahamut

Bahamut IncGamers Member

I agree with you Liter Soul, it does look amazing. I chose polearms for the main reason that (at least I think) it is not much of a cookie-cutter weapon and it would look great (Big Barb and Big Stick). Hey, don't think too nasty. :)

While the weapon is polearms, my skills are pretty much the typical one. I will have WW as my main skill (but it seems concentrate might be in second place because I don't whirl that much for some reason), Berserk for those PI (how many skill points should I put here?) and BO and Shout. I screwed up one skill point on Increased Stamina (that time I was looking for the increased walk speed), and I already maxed out the polearm mastery. One point in Iron Skin and Natural Resistance. :)

Borlag: that's what I thought about the Mauls' range which were one of the reasons I chose polearms.

Randall: Yes the speed is not that bad, but in exchange for that little jump some polearms need DEX requirements... ;)

Dolph: I will have some fun with this Barb that's it. :) If this Barb is lucky then I probably would find those items I really need. And the Tomb Reaver is only for ladder... I play solid SP... sad.

9. Dolph

Dolph IncGamers Member

All "Ladder Only" can spawn in single player. Rejoyce!

10. nemar

nemar IncGamers Member

only double diablo don't work, every thing else "ladder only" is "SP"

11. sunbearie

sunbearie IncGamers Member

Just want to ask your opinions on which weapon for a NON-WW barb then? polearms or maul. For a barb that uses bash, stun or beserk, would the additional range matter.

12. Bahamut

Bahamut IncGamers Member

You guys are telling me that the Diablo Clone won't work but everything else is just fine? I mean I wouldn't ever have that possibility of getting that Annihilus Charm? Nah... I'd rather have those Ladder Only Items. :)

sunbearie, for me though, if your skills aren't exactly related to WW, then it's your weapon of choice. Have fun and experiment. I chose polearms because honestly I thought it was silly, but hey I am having tons of fun and it doesn't look silly anymore.. ;) If I were you though, I'd pick mauls (I haven't tried that yet... it's my first time Polearming stuff)

13. factotum

factotum IncGamers Member

Ladder Only cube recipes work in 1.10 as well, which is good news if you want to upgrade Exceptionals to Elite...

14. Bahamut

Bahamut IncGamers Member

Meaning we can cube all our way to Zod too... interesting. Now I wonder why bother putting on the "Ladder Only" clause?

15. Pucho

Pucho Banned

I think that's for Bnet, only ladder chars can get the "ladder only" stuff, and the chars upgraded from 1.09 don't

16. sunbearie

sunbearie IncGamers Member

I guess I'll stick with mauls for the build. I can always use good polearms on my act II mercs after all.

17. Bahamut

Bahamut IncGamers Member

Yes given that SP has got all the perks only missing the Diablo CLone, lots of polearms for your merc :)

Can't wait to play... the weekend is near... with so much school work I have to rest and study, or whatever... no leisure time... nah I guess there is Americal Idol. :)

18. DX-Crawler

DX-Crawler Banned

If you are going for a maulbarb then try to get a Unique Great Maul Steeldriver I think its called. Rather nice speed and good damage upgrade it as you proceed. The weapon also have a nice -50 % requirements so you only need 127 strengh when its upgraded to thunder maul.

Good Luck

DX

19. BSJoker

BSJoker IncGamers Member

I have not done a pole or mace barb in a long time, but my pally uses a pole, and its really cool to have a sythe, or war sythe, and of course their nightmare and hell versions. For me they seem to be just the right speed which the mauls dont give me, unless i go mace.

Btw: a leaper with a pole arm, or even a sythe would look cool, and funny as hell.

Edit: grammar etc.