Pole Barb Build, suggestions welcome.

votek

Diabloii.Net Member
Pole Barb Build, suggestions welcome.

So I recently started a Polearm-barb. Probably wasn't a "perfect" build but to each his own. I still have a ways to go on items but I wanted to put some screenshots up and see if anyone had any suggestions. Also, I haven't played many barbs in the past (usually necros) but this one has been a LOT of fun to play.

I've been playing on and off since the game came out (back when lance barbs cleaned house :laugh: ). Anyways, I started playing again and decided a polebarb would be my first real built-up character. So far, so good. But I have a long way to go with items. I thought I would mention this because a lot of the posts and guides on diabloii were helpful to me and made it easy to just start right up.

End-Goal:
Topped out high-dmg and range pole barb. Right now I'm topping out at about 15K max WW dmg (with concentration), which is not enough. I still want more.

Current Setup:
Eth BOTD Giant Thresher
Fortitude
Arreat's (Ber)
Raven Frost x2
Gore Rider
T'Gods
Rare Gloves

Future Setup:
Better BOTD
Better Fort (Higher-def armor)
Amulet
Good Leach ring.
+Skill charms
+Dmg small charms
Call to Arms

Act 2 Might Merc:
Dream Diadem (equiped)
Pride Eth Colosus Volgue (not yet made)
Chains of Honor Boneweave (not yet made)

Screenshots:
Stats: http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/6521/screenshot003cx5.jpg

Giant Thresher: http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/9861/screenshot004jd3.jpg

Armor: http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/2711/screenshot007th9.jpg

Gloves: http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/2219/screenshot008bn7.jpg

Barloc

Diabloii.Net Member
For the future I would stick with Highlord's ammy and a raven. I wouldn't add a leach ring as you should be leaching like crazy with a Botd on its own anyway. A pair of WC weapons would probably be a nice affordable alternative to CTA, as you can just buy those in town Act5. Those rare glove are pretty nice but you could put on something else like Drac's, Crafted Blood Gloves, Laying of Hands or even Steelrends if your looking for better damage.

Tankmobile

Diabloii.Net Member
Ive always liked the war pike for my poker barb (i called him RedHotPoke :) good damage, gr8 range and so cool looks wise. anyway...
i agree with barloc in no cta...u lose out on +3 shout, but with a perf cta and an echo wep (maximum bo setup) u only gain 3bo for huge cost.
Get rid of the rare gloves for any of the above mentioned. i always found i liked carrion wind as my other ring for 9% leach and a screen filled with green (poison nova triggers ridiculously often)
Highlords is a near must, just for the deadly strike... metalgrid is an option for those with cack AR (dont see why u shud have rubbish ar tho)
My personal preference on the belt would be string of ears or verdungos for the DR and leach on string or life on verdungs rather than t-gods unless i hit gloam central or am pvping light sorcs.
FINALLY....(yes, ill shut up soon :)
i think the merc would benefit from fortitude more than chains if u want more damage and more defense. if u want pure survivability for him...ethereal shaftstop iis great if he has max resistance.
just my personal opinion....:D

Maccat

Diabloii.Net Member
BotD Great Poleaxe is better for polearm barbs. I suggest:

BotD Eth Great Poleaxe
Fortitude (yours is plenty fine, except for maybe the looks)
Laying of Hands Gloves
Gore Rider
String of Ears
Highlord's Wrath
Arreat's Face (Cham)
Bul-Kathos' Wedding Band (extra skill helps with bo along with more life)
Bul-Kathos' Wedding Band

Try to get a Barbarian Torch and maybe an Anihilus. + Max damage, resist, and life charms are all great substitutes. I'd strip that Dream off your merc and trade it for something you need. Put a Gaze or Andariel's Visage on him and look up the IAS Tables. To be honest, if you can max his resists out, why not get him some DR aswell? Pride, eth Shafstop, and eth Gaze? Leech will help him out a lot, especially with his poor damaging weapon.

Leohappy

Diabloii.Net Member
don't bother with pride, use eth reapers toll on merc

decrepify will considerably weaken any monsers (50% slow, -50% dmg and -50% dr) and i find it's almost a must for a pvm wwer

Eilo Rytyj

Diabloii.Net Member
If wealth is not an option, then change your merc to the following...

Act 5 Barbarian.
Using:

Helm: Arreat's Face (ethereal and upgraded ideally) w/ 15% IAS jewel
Armour: Fortitude (ethereal-bugged Sacred ideally)
Weapon: Last Wish ethereal Colossus Blade.

Why?
1) It has CTC Life Tap, which cannot be triggered by whirlwind. Barb mercs hit twice on their normal attack, which can speed up the chance to trigger.
2) Might Aura. Pretty much the same as an Act 2 merc.
3) CTC Fade and Chilling Armor turns him into a supertanker.
4) The 15% IAS jewel will bring his attack speed up 2 frames. Still slow, but not as much
5) Style, baby.

GO TITAN BUILD. With tons of life leech. Seriously. My vita polearm/axe barb with 2x ebotds + fort does mad damage with a pride using might merc. A titan build would be about 500% ED better, and with the LL you have with typical barb gear that's basically rejuving while whirling. You won't have a resists problem and IM will kill your *** when you WW regardless of your life (leap + zerk for that).

TITAN WW DUAL WIELD EBOTD FORT PRIDE MIGHT MERC = LAWNMOWER.

jsyou

Banned
GO TITAN BUILD. With tons of life leech. Seriously. My vita polearm/axe barb with 2x ebotds + fort does mad damage with a pride using might merc. A titan build would be about 500% ED better, and with the LL you have with typical barb gear that's basically rejuving while whirling. You won't have a resists problem and IM will kill your *** when you WW regardless of your life (leap + zerk for that).

TITAN WW DUAL WIELD EBOTD FORT PRIDE MIGHT MERC = LAWNMOWER.
whats ww damage with those stats? my titan polearm only does 15k with pride + might around 550str

AncientsQuest

Diabloii.Net Member
yes the great pole axe is a much better weapon than thresher, range of 5 vs range of 4
from my own experince, i suggest knockback gloves, they work very well in pvp

and the rest is up to you and what main skill you decide to use

btw
my guy uses a 406ed ebotdgp
4k-11k conc(lv 19) and zerk(lv9), 3k-8k ww(lv9), 9k-19k leap atk(lv27)

when i get a chance, ill get into detail

BildBenny

Diabloii.Net Member
IMHO, the best possible weapon for a 2h whirler would be an ethereal rare glorious axe: high ed%, 40% ias, 2 sockets, self-repair...
in reality though, a ebotd gpa would probably be your best bet.