Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Pokie Zon

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by let's have a look, Apr 6, 2005.

1. let's have a look

let's have a look IncGamers Member

Pokie Zon

Last week i found a near perfect Lycander's Flank(193/9). Instead of selling it to Ormus like i usually would i thought it might be interesting to try a spear zon on for size. Before this project gets to too involved i wanted to ask a couple a questions of the experts.

1) Are jab and fend still buggy?
    This girl is still at a low level but i notice that my jab seems to hit the first time with no trouble at all, but nothing after that(even when surrounded).

2) At what point will i hit the wall? I.e. when will the game become more irritating than fun? Act 3 nm? Act 1 hell?

3) For Sorcs, at some point lightning becomes more useful than chain lightning. Is it the same with Charged Strike and Lightning Strike?

4) If fend is out(because it is buggy) does that mean Charged/Lightning Strike is the only skill i can use?

5) If i max fury as a synergy to Charged/Lightning Strike will i wake up one day and find that fury is the only skill i use?

A little advise from the veterens would be hugely apreciated.

2. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

1. I haven't heard about Jab being bugged but I experienced some weird situations with my spearazon, so... Sometimes I just couldn't hit at all, my attack rating wasn't the sweetest but it was like 1/10 attacks that would miss...happened quite frequently. Fend is still bugged.

2. I really hit the wall in act 3 Hell, with all the lightning immunes it was excruciating, but before that it wasn't exactly easy but manageable. A pumped out Valkyrie (lvl 17) will help a lot!!

3. They are both good...Charged Strike is for single monsters or small group of monsters while Lightning Strike is better for groups...I still use both.

4. Almost...I use Jab against Lightning Immunes.

5. Probably not since you use a spear:) (Lightning Fury only works with javelins...) My advice to you is to forget spears and use javelins...the shield simply does wonders for you...block and the extra resists are wonderful

I had a spearzon and in act 3 hell she switched to ethereal Titans and Gerkes Sanctuary...the game became much easier after that. I haven't tried Lightning Fury yet, but other people only have good things to say about it...Still Charged Strike and Lightning Strike are very viable options too.

Seriously lose the spear, no real advantage there...

3. sunbearie

sunbearie IncGamers Member

1) Fend is bugged. You really need to make sure no monster is swinging at you for it to hit. Jab works fine though I sometimes wonder if its bugged like fend.

2) Anywhere with lots of lightning immunes will annoying you, even from act I hell.

3) I only use charged and lightning strike and they're still good IMO

4) I use jab as well for LIs.

5) You wouldn't. Lightning strike is powerful as well. You do need to have a "melee" mentality though compared to lightning fury.

4. Liliel

Liliel IncGamers Member

Maybe 50 more points for vit (instead of using dex for block), possibly more available skill points for synergy (no need for pierce) and double the physical damage doesn't count for anything? How about 'it just looks cooler'?

Well anyways...

1. Fend is bugged. I haven't heard of Jab being bugged.

2. If you've got good equipment you probably won't have much of a problem anywhere, except maybe the chaos sanctuary and worldstone keep, where there is the looming threat of IM. Otherwise, yeah the giant type enemies (those big guys with the clubs, and the tree beasts) in Act 3 Hell are lightning immune, as are the Council Members. If you've got crushing blow and/or ctc Amp you'll get rid of them okay though.

3. Umm, I'm reasonably sure that Chain Lightning remains useful for a lightning sorc, it's just Lightning becomes better for single targets or tunnels (Maggot Lair, Arcane Sanctuary). Charged Strike is good for large enemies, act bosses, and groups of normal sized enemies that are packed tightly together. Lightning Strike is good for groups that are spread out. It seems especially good for packs of ranged attackers. Pack size isn't so much important; you can use it against a pair of enemies provided the two are far enough apart. With a big of practice you should be able to pic up which attack will work best in any given situation.

4. That, and Jab. Power Strike works too if you max it, CS and LS. Gets to an average of about 6k damage, and unlike the other attacks it has an AR boost. I use that against small single creatures, where most of the CS bolts would be wasted and there's no other enemies to bounce LS bolts.

5. That may depend on whether you've spent points in Pierce, whether you're wearing a Razortail, how much dex you have, if you have the necessary gear etc. You'd find CS is still the attack of choice against large enemies and act bosses.

5. Chimaira

50 more points for vita or 75% block...not a real advantage in my opinion...You don't have to spend points in Pierce...just because you use a javelin doesn't mean you have to use Lightning Fury...Double the physical damage is nice...but since it's twice the amount of a quite low damage it's not really anything to write home about and ethereal Titan's don't break... Coolness factor...can't really argue with that:) I'm not saying it's totally unviable to use a shield, I'm just saying that a javelin+shield combo makes your life so much easier and is definitely better than a spear. I know because I had a spearazon who turned javazon, and I'll never go back.

6. let's have a look

let's have a look IncGamers Member

Wow. Thanks for all the speedy response and great info.

I think ill go ahead and build the Spearazon. Because it's something new and i've been playing this game long enough that it's getting harder to say that with each passing day. And because i hate to waste the Lycnaders. I also found a three socket Matriarcal Pike, +3 skills, that might be interesting as a Crescent Moon.

Max Lightning strike, Charged strike, and Fury. Enought points in Valk for lvl 17(thats the magic number isn't it?) and some in D/A/E with some peirce with what is left over. Enought str and dex for the lycander's and rest to vit. Seems easy enough.

If she fails miserably then atleast i get a new cow killer out of the deal.

7. Chimaira

She won't fail miserably...I got to act 3 Hell before I decided it would be much easier for everyone involved to get a javelin+shield:) 17 is indeed the magic number...then she will spawn with a rare war pike, which can deal some serious damage.

Good luck.

8. DudSpud

DudSpud IncGamers Member

I hope this is not too late. If you put Shael-Um-Tir in a Pike you will be very disappointed. CM works in polearms, not spear calss weapons.

On another note, I have heard that throwing weapons have a hidden durability, and eventhough eth thrwoing weapons will can replenish, if used for melee they will eventually lose durability points, leading to a decrease in max stack size. How quickly? I don't know.

I too have been thinking about a Spearie recently, and the eternal debate of Jav/Shield vs big pokestick. I had a javvie who tried to use lycanders with jab on switch, and it just didn't work out. And if it is a lightning spearie with jab for LI,s, then the Jav/shield makes more sense as most damage is elemental. LI's would be a long fight, but with 75% block and decent D/A, I figure she could outlast them.

Still, the idea of a physical spearie seems elusive. Fend is bugged because if the cycle is interupted by block or D/A/E or hit recovery, then the rest of the cycle whiffs. There are tales of some hard-core fenders going sans D/A/E for this reason, but that just sounds so suicidal. Impale is incredibly slow, so you would have to hide behind decoy/valk/merc constantly.

So this seems to leave Jab. I have never noticed any problem with it whiffing. It is quick but low damage, which just screams CB/static/OW, which further says shield. Once I get the gear together, this is the route I plan to go.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

DudSpud

9. Liliel

Liliel IncGamers Member

I think you're overestimating the importance max block. Between your merc, valkyrie, decoy and d/a/e, if you're still taking a lot of hits you're probably doing something wrong. This build should, IMO, be played somewhat defensively, positioning the decoy and if necessary the valk so that large crowds are tied up between all your minions. Then you just pump the charged bolts or chain lightning into the crowd at your leisure. Most of the damage you'll take will probably come from elemental projectiles that you can't block.

In addition, the extra physical damage shouldn't be ignored. Killing LIs twice as fast has to be a pretty good thing. It may not be huge, but after DS/CS, ctc Amp, and Might merc, it's enough for you not to worry about LIs anymore. Well, unless they're also PI...

10. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

Stay away from fend like the plague, especially with spearazons

Blizzard ruined it

11. Chimaira

I've tried with my Ethereal Titan's and it does work...you will lose stack size but it will just replenish itself over time. If you use heavy jabbing the stack size will go down quite a lot, which can be quite scary:) but not really anything to worry about. If you play for like 2-3 hours of heavy jabbing you might wear down ethereal titan's but then just wait 5 minutes and they're as good as new.

Perhaps...but in your scenario the choice was between 50 vita or 75% block...in that case I'd take block any day. I totally agree that this build should be played defensively, since her offensive capabilities are so much greater than her defensive. The damage from elemental projectiles can be resisted...especially if you have a shield with a good chunk of resists...which is the real reason I want a shield...good resists and possibly many other good mods. I will concede that max block isn't super important, but I don't have very good gear, and in order to keep my sucky mercenary alive I have to step in and take some of the heat...that's why I'm also partial for 75% block.

If you can get your hands on Ethereal Titans (as I luckily have:)) then I'd say no contest. Upgraded ethereal Titans will do quite a lot of physical damage + you can wear a shield...no spear can compete with that.

Also Dudspud makes some very nice points. If you really want to wear a spear, then have one on switch for killing LI's although I think you'll find ethereal titans so good you'd never want to switch.