Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Poker Tells

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Alex_Str, Jan 30, 2004.

1. Alex_Str

Alex_Str Banned

Poker Tells

Hello folks...I'm here today to talk about the great game knows as Texas Hold Em' Poker. Now, I've gotten into this game, and this weekend I'm gonna play with a few buddies. 20 Dollar buy in...so you know we aint playing around :D.

A question I have is : Could you guys share with me a few tells that you know? By tells I mean something that your opponenet sub-conciously does to give away the strength of his cards. Here's one that I just thought up, I think it's a pretty good one:

Let's say it's only you and another guy left in a pot, and it's a huge pot. The guy is probably going to go all in. Now...if the guy has a really good hand, a hand that HE THINKS is the best hand, he's probably going to want you to call, so he wants to do as little moving or talking as possible...wouldn't want to make you suspicious. So he just calmly says All-In. Now...if he ISN'T so sure about his cards, lets say he has the 2nd highest pair...he'll probably want to count his AND/OR your chips to see how much he'd be losing. Let me back up...if the guy knows he has a good hand, probably better than yours, he won't bother counting his chips, because quite frankly, he already knows he's won. So if you ever see a guy say "Can you count your chips?" or if you ever find him re-counting his own stack, might wanna CALL his All-In, assuming you have a good enough hand.

Well, anyone here have any tips for yours truly? THX

2. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

texas hold 'em you're only dealt two cards aren't you?

cuz most of the tells I know involved moving your cards around and thats not much of an issue :scratch:

3. Alex_Str

Alex_Str Banned

Yes you're dealt 2 cards, and then there are 5 cards face up in the middle of the table that you combine with your two to make the best possible 5-card poker hand.

If you have Ace-Ace

and the 5 cards in the middle are

2-4-Ace-Ace-King..

You have 4 Aces.

:D :D :D :D

4. Canadia142

Canadia142 Banned

Watch out he isn't tricking you. He might say all in but have two 2's and you think "oh man he must have a good hand I'm gonna fold" then you see what he has and you kick yourself. Look for that more than him acually having a good hand.

5. Corneo

Corneo IncGamers Member

It's it called the flop, the river, the push? I could be wrong, I though I heard those terms on that World Poker show.

Umm, I think you can tell a lot by their voice and their eyes. That is why many wear sun glasses. If you really want something bad, don't let the person know because you gave them the shots. Usually they can tell by your eyes.

6. Alex_Str

Alex_Str Banned

First 3= Flop
    4th = Turn, AKA 4th street.
    5th = River, AKA 5th street.

Yes..the eyes do tell a lot.

I also heard something about = if a play bets and then sits back in his seat, he has something. :xfrosty:

7. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

I just watched the celebrity poker on Bravo when they had Sarah Silverman and Shannon Elizabeth on....

8. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

I can't really think of any tells that I have. Although in hold 'em if the flop has two cards that would let someone get a straight and they bet high on it, then they check on the river, they probably didn't get their straight. If you've got a good hand, raise them and buy them out. Same goes for a flush.

I suppose I try to play it cooler when I have a really good hand, but I don't think it's that noticeable. Because I'll act like I'm screwing around when I have a good hand too. Sometimes you can tell if they are bluffing by the size of their raise. We play with all quarters, with typical bets being 25 and 50 cents. If one of them raises a dollar, and you can't see that they could make a good hand, they are probably bluffing. If they only raise 50 cents, they're trying to get your money.

9. Nastie_Bowie

Nastie_Bowie Banned

That is why it is called a "poker face".

NB :D

10. Dutchman

Dutchman IncGamers Member

Tells are a very personal thing that need to be learned for each opponent you face. There isn't really any universal things to look out for.

Just be aware of out of the ordinairy behaviour from your opponents and then take note of their hand once its played out. If the behaviour matches the hand a few times you now have a tell.

Keep in mind that learning someone's tells is expensive and requires you to stay in hands you really shouldn't just to see their cards at the end. For 20 dollar buy in with friends you're really much better off just playing your cards.

Also keep in mind that in social games people's behaviour changes the more they drink. That sober tell can backfire as booze changes people's playstyles.

Seriously man, it isn't worth it.

Dutch

11. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Agreed. My experience is that drunks are less patient and are more likely to play bad cards. This is how they lose money. My roommate lost about 20 bucks in a 5-man poker game while he was drunk. In about 2-3 hours too.

12. cougar

cougar IncGamers Member

more often then not, if you're on about the 3rd-4th round of betting and someone bets super fast and looks as if he has a good hand, he's bluffing. People get way more aggressive when they're bluffing.

13. Raft Boy

Raft Boy IncGamers Member

Sometimes that's where someone has a hand is trying to be non-threatening. By leaning back, they're trying to seem non-agressive. The flip side is when someone leans over their chips and the table. By seeming aggressive, they're hoping that people get scared, and drop out of the hand. Usually this comes from a bluff.

But this isn't always the case. Like Dutch said, there is no universal tell. Sticking around to find them isn't worth it.

-Rafty

14. Nastie_Bowie

Nastie_Bowie Banned

*throws dark cloth over table*

*shuffles cards*

So,

who wants to play cards?

*^_^*

Ante up, suck ... umm ... gentlemen and ladies!

NB :D

15. Raft Boy

Well, shuffle up and deal! :D

-Rafty

16. Nastie_Bowie

Nastie_Bowie Banned

*points to center of table*

ahem

*^_^*

NB :p

17. Jigga-Scrooge

Jigga-Scrooge IncGamers Member

i would kill all of you at poker.

18. Sp4rtacus

Sp4rtacus IncGamers Member

thats why i always purposely behave erratically. like ill take a sip of a drink and pretend to be real interested in my cards, and then look around and immediatly become serious...or ill sit back, or eat something..

change it up so you dont develop a tell.

19. Raft Boy

I act erratically in real life for the same reason. That, and I'm just a big weirdo. :xmad:

Nastie_Bowie, I wonder if we can get a game going on Yahoo or something. That could be fun. I'll take all of you to the cleaners! :winner:

-Rafty

20. cougar

cougar IncGamers Member

pacific poker is a great hold em client.. better than yahoo methinks.