Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Poker Hands

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by blu3l1ghtn1ng, Jun 29, 2005.

1. blu3l1ghtn1ng

blu3l1ghtn1ng IncGamers Member

Poker Hands

So today I was playing poker with a couple of my friends. We play tournament style so there are no buy-in or whatever. I have the early chip lead, my friend is short stacked. He goes all in preflop. Figuring I could get rid of him I call with a QJ. He has AA, and so I loose. So now a couple hands later I am the middle stack, and I get KK and raise before the flop. My friend reraises me, and then I go all in figuring that he was bluffing, or had a bad hand. He has AA again, and I'm eliminated.

So we decide to play another game after this one is done. I am the short stack, and go all in KJ (I don't know why). My friend calls with AA, and I'm eliminated.

It must be a record - 3 AAs in one day!! Worst luck ever.

2. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

I'd recommend drinking heavily, and looking for an anti-probability potion for your friend.

3. SelfBaisResistor

SelfBaisResistor IncGamers Member

You positive he isn't cheating?

It is pretty rare, but can happen. I play just about weekly and would never go all in without a pair, or suited straight cards, such as QK or J10. I guess I just play conservative.

4. BeefChunks

BeefChunks IncGamers Member

Why did you go in with QJ and KJ in the first place? :lol:

5. blu3l1ghtn1ng

I pretty sure he wasn't cheating because he wasn't dealing. We had a mutual friend who had been eliminated deal. I doubt those two had anything going. I almost 10000% positive.

QJ - He was shortstack. I was chip leader, and he likes to bluff alot. If I got rid of him it would've been me and someone else heads up.

KJ - Was a semi bluff. It was safe enough to get called on but I just wanted the blinds.

Anyone else have good/bad poker moments?!

PS. One of em got a unrigged Royal Flush off the flop vs. me. Unfortunatley for him I only had 6,3 and he just won the blinds.

6. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Even with a very strong hand, don't be too all-in happy. Pocket aces and pocket kings aren't magic bullets that will automatically take down any hand.

Here's the craziest hand I ever played. I'm on the big blind, and the bet has been raised preflop coming around to me. Well, I've got KK, so I decided to go all-in. I didn't have a lot of chips, but there was a short stack I was hoping to push out. Well he calls me, and then two other people call me. So we all flip our cards. The short stack shows AA, the person after the short stack shows QQ, and the last guy shows KQ (we're not sure why he called). Of course the board was 5 blanks so the AA ended up winning the hand, but I fnished ahead too, because the AA was the short stack and I won the side pot.

7. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

And to think I get confused as to whether a straight beats a flush. :eek:

Give me a game of Guts anyday. ;)

8. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Based on your story, it sounds like you're not a very good poker player (yes, I'm sure that 50 of 100 times you could beat me and are therefore the best poker player ever in the history of the universe).

Figure the odds with your hand vs. his/her possible hand based on the blinds. It's not easy, but in the long run, you'll beat the impulsive folks.

9. blu3l1ghtn1ng

Truthfully, I know that KK is not the hand that can tackle down everything, but it is hard to fold it down especially playing against the guy I was playing with. This guy has a very scheduled play. He raises whenever hes on blind, and so I figured that he had at most a KQ, J10 or KJ. The last thing I was expecting was a AA. Also I was trying to squah him with the blinds sicne there was only three of us left. I must admit, I can't do the odds% in my head.

10. P2blr

P2blr IncGamers Member

last game I was in I want all in on a 45, and 89 and both times straights poppped up for me
    yopu play any online poker? cause I know a good place... if you want to know I can pm you, rather than 'advertise' it here.....

11. Dutchman

Dutchman IncGamers Member

Great timing for a poker thread, as I faced the most miserable beat of my life last night.

Playing heads up against a VERY aggressive player I found myself with pocket 10's and raise $300 ($1500 chips each to start). He re-raises $300 and I call.

Flop comes 10-9-9, I've hit the boat. He goes all in so I naturally call. He has.......................... pocket 9's, and I'm out.

I was just too damn stunned to even be angry.

Dutch

12. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Ouch, Dutch. Thanks for reminding me why I don't play cards. Well, maybe bridge.

13. Isolde212

Isolde212 Banned

The best hand I ever saw was last Friday night during a poker game. My friend Lanus(nickname) had AA and my friend Bob had AA and Justin had 87 and the last guy had K2 before the flop. Justin goes all in short stacked and Lanus calls. They were pretty close in chip count. Bob called but he was full of chips and the other guy it was his first hand at the table. The flop was 878. Lanus went all in thinking he had the best with the AA and Bob called. The river was a K and the turn was a K. So the last guy with his first hand won with a K2 and only won on calling and pure dumb luck. It was the craziest hand I ever saw. We weren't sure the odds of having two people at the table with a pair of darts but it was just crazy. I think they all almost cried because they lost all their chips in one hand to the new guy. I managed to leave the game three hours later and cashed out with what I bought in with.

14. Suicidal Zebra

Suicidal Zebra IncGamers Member

I've never played poker before. Anyone care to teach me?

*cracks knuckles*

15. Isolde212

Isolde212 Banned

Best way to learn is by watching Poker tournys on TV or playing online. That's how I learned. I'm not the best but I can hold my own. I play with a bunch of guys and I'm the only girl. They were impressed when I broke even because I've only been playing for a few months.

16. Nos2

Nos2 IncGamers Member

Poker? I don't even know her that well.

17. Rius666

Rius666 IncGamers Member

Whenever ur playing poker u gotta remember its a game of both luck and skill. You can't let bad beats get to you. The pocket ace's ur friend got 3 times is very very very very rare (roughly .7% chance to get pocket aces at any given time depending on number of people playing) so don't let that get to you.

Remember to vary ur play styles. Don't just sit back for those faces. Whenever i play i try to vary it up depending on which position i'm in. I usually almost always play small wired pairs (if no one has raised that much and it's worth it to call) since i know that about 1/8 times that wired pair will trip up on the flop. I also like to play suited connectors alot just b/c any chance for a straight/flush/straight flush is always a good deal and it's great to sucker people in.

I would talk more about this but i fear ill just go on and rant for about 5 pages so ill stop now.

18. AjustinMyJonson

AjustinMyJonson IncGamers Member

Ahhh...Guts, the game of men, ill admit that once in a while i stoop to play Hold 'Em and Omaha, but guts is where its at.

Have you ever played Pimp Guts Amra(as long as were talking about the same game)? Same basic rules except the third card is dealt face up to everyone and the person with the higest card is "pimped" and has to stay in the hand. The stakes get really high really fast.

As for my craziest poker moment, me and some friends were playing some Hold 'Em(simple $20 buy-in), and i limped in with 10-J of Diamonds. The flop almost made me faint, 9-Q-K all diamonds! Sure its no royal flush, but its no Ace-high either. the other two cards were K-A, and my opponent had pocket rockets, and ended up with Aces rolled up over Kings. I ended up winning around $50 in that one hand(it wasnt heads up obviously). King-high straight flush is still the best hand ive ever had, and i play three times a week.

19. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

If I could get people to go all in everytime I have AA and KK I would be a happy camper since I would make much much money over the long run. AA is (obviously) a favorite over every other hand and the whole point of poker is to get your money in with the best, and it is always the best preflop.

With KK I would also be happy to do it unless you are up against a rock who you know FOR SURE, and I mean 100% that he would not reraise you with AK or JJ-QQ.

At a local poker room I had the most miserable hand of Hold em. I have A3 of hearts and the flop comes 689 of hearts, giving me the Ace high flush, I raise, get reraised, I reraise and he caps it. At this point, I am very very mad, because I just somehow know the moron has the only hand that could beat me. Of course, after calling down fourth and the river, he flips over his straight flush and makes me a sad panda.

20. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

ONLY over the short term is poker a game of luck.