Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Poker build works

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by ~Foxfire~, Jun 21, 2005.

1. ~Foxfire~

~Foxfire~ IncGamers Member

Poker build works

I was sick of hammerdins walking into the duel games and hostiling, so I decided to build a character which could handle them without AA blizz sorcs or pb necs. I put together a 2handed zerk barb with the sole intention of killing magical damage dealing characters. The items:

Arreats with 15max/15ias jewel
    Highlord's wrath
    Enigma Duskshroud
    397ebotd warpike
    Tgods
    20ias/15str gloves
    waterwalks (Thinking about swapping them for gores or travs)
    20dex/246 raven
    20dex/331 raven
    level 48 bo
    Inv full of 34-35 life LC's (For the sake of cost and time gathering)
    12stat anni

All said and done, at level 89, he's dealing 19k zerk, 21k with a might merc. From the beginning I was pondering a Pride Might merc, but the fact is they die in the hammer fields, so I'm finding it's not very helpful. I went with base str/dex, so his vita is 542 right now, allowing me 8k life with lvl 48 bo. He hits the 115ias breakpoint for 13fpa attack with a warpike, which is slow, but gets the job done. I'm tempted to swap out one of the ravens for a 20str ring with life, for the sake of damage. His AR/dex requirements are pretty well satisfied. My skills are as follows:

20 Shout
    20 Battle Orders
    20 Howl
    20 Berzerk
    1 Ironskin
    1 Natural Resist
    Remainder in mastery

I also put 1 into ww for lvling the merc, if you were not worried about res, you could skip the 2 pts in ironskin/nat res and dump them into mastery. The reason I dumped those two points, and the 1 in ww, is that I wasn't going to hit the next % critical on mastery, and the damage is not noticeable with 1 point. I did ww for the sake of lvling mercenery, which, as I said earlier, wasn't as effective as I was hoping.

My first duel was against FireGrunt's pally, hc-supermanii, a level 95 hammerdin who is better known for his tppking with an IB sorc, but is still known for disrupting duel games. I went out first, teleporting to get some distance so that he would hopefully start setting up hammer fields. I saw him stationary on my map, so I went to take a look. I saw him standing in the midst of a full field, so I tele'd toward what I thought was the blank spot just below his feet. My tele missed slightly, putting me in the hammer's range. I swung a couple times, but missed. I was tanking 2-3 hammers before juv, though a few were rushed. I decided to tele out of the field, it had cost me 7 juvs already. I ran around, waiting for him to set up another field. This time, my tele was right on target. One swing plucked his ear from his head, as well as a handful of gold. He didn't return to me as many juvs as I spent, but it was still worth it.

The build was experimental from the beginning. Having dueled with virtually the same gear, but with ww, I was looking for something I could juv with, as my ww build had me risking my life with every ww. This one does the job, putting the 1-hit kill within reach, and giving you an 8k life bumper to work with. I give it 4.5 stars out of five, for the sake of how expensive it was including bo gear :p

2. Dahkar

Dahkar IncGamers Member

Yeah, I love dueling newb hammeradins then teleing right south of them(If only i could afford enigma :p) then blizzing them or whatever attack :p

Lets see your max damage without might merc if you get a crit strike max damage is:6333.3333333333333333333333333333

So you have a pretty good shot of killing 4k lifers in one hit.

3. Valar-Wrath

Valar-Wrath IncGamers Member

Wow, those stats are insane. I didn't even think damage could get that high on a baba. :eek:

Anyway, congrats on the ear. Hope that really decked out barb doesn't die. :D

4. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

The only problems I see are: 13 FPA is, in my opinion, too slow. Secondly, barbs have the potential to teleport around pretty quickly, yet you have zero FCR on him.

I'd reccomend switching it up a little, as a skilled player WILL exploit the fact that they can easily cast hammers, and teleport away before you can finish a teleport onto them AND zerk. As soon as you run into one of these players, it'll be either a draw, or a loss for you. If they know what they're doing, you;re simply too slow on the IAS and FCR to stand a chance in hell of killing them.

Of course, until you run into such a player, looks like a good build...

-Matt

5. ADSL

ADSL IncGamers Member

Looks like a solid build, very similar to my friends new build.

Just a quick question, what AR do you have?

6. ~Foxfire~

Yes, ias is slow, I was tempted to just use a botd cb 2-handed, but that's only hitting in the ~850 max dmg range, where my pike is 1326 max. As I built him to go for the 1-hit kill, since I run into far too many chickeners on this realm, I decided to go with the warpike. Agreed though, 13fps is quite slow. As for cast rate, now that I know the damage/life is good enough, I may look to mess with that a little bit. I figure I can sacrafice the tgods for an arachnid mesh, and perhaps a fcr/str ring in place of one of the ravens, however that still only puts me at 30fcr. It may be worth the next breakpoint, again, something I'll look at. Unfortunately the other places where I could add fcr are all taken by arguably required items (gloves are needed for the ias breakpoint, cbf on 1 raven, no slot for shield, arreats is too sweet, and highlord's is my only source of DS).

As for finding a good hammerdin, I imagine those are only to be found on softcore for the following reason: On this realm, hammerdins kill their opponents in very short order. If they don't kill them, they chicken. There is very little need to be skilled with the character when they are exploiting hacks and using a very overpowering build. The one I killed is one of the more renown, though I look forward to a better match. As for having a draw or losing, a draw is more likely. But the beauty of this build is that provided I don't lag, I'm not going to die from a hammerdin. It may take quite a few matches, but so long as the hammerdin sees I'm taking hits, he'll be encouraged to continue the duel. In this case, it will only be a matter of time. Not to say there aren't talented hammerdins out there on HC, but my theory is that most do not have the dueling experience with a hammerdin (Considering they get so few duels anyways, and the short length of time for which the duels last). I think I got lucky with that first teleport, showing him that I could be hurt badly with a hammer field, and showing him also that I wasn't doing any damage next to him. He too probably figured it was only a matter of time. I will work to use that strategy in future duels as well.

My ar with the above items is 9647, and worked well enough in the duel for me. Without 1 raven, and dropping the waterwalks, I drop down to 6375. I feel that in the event I am to go with a str ring or fcr/str ring in place of one of the ravens, it's going to have to have the ~100 ar. I've got a 18str/~30life/106ar ring I might go with, I'll shop around to see if I can nab a ring similar with fcr. Also, I'm not familiar with the fcr breakpoints on barb, I looked around on these forums and didn't find a guide with them listed. If anyone has these numbers or knows where to find them, I'd appreciate it. Thanks for the replies :)

*edit*
    I just traded for a very cheap 10fcr/20str/20ar/9min dmg ring, pretty nearly exactly what I was looking for, and the price fit too. Any idea on those fcr breakpoints? :p

7. xeyloderixed

xeyloderixed IncGamers Member

iirc the fcr bps for barbs are the same as sorks. 330 fcr should be good enough.

fcr fps
    0 13
    9 12
    20 11
    37 10
    63 9

for the usual pallies, 75 fcr is 10 fps, so if u want to tele alongside the pally, ud need 37 fcr.

i also was thinking bout the 13 fpa zerk. not sure if a great poleaxe would be more balanced. a bit less damage, but same range and a bit faster. someone care to do calcs on that one?

oh, and ar/vita are good from what i hear from the barb forums. somthing like 100+/30+

8. Herald of Doom

Herald of Doom IncGamers Member

Wouldn't a botd gpa be better? if I got it right it hits 12fps. You will lose a bunch of dmg though, not sure which would be better :)

EDIT: poop, calculating it took some time :p Oh, and what charms are you using, any of those got ar?

HoD

9. ~Foxfire~

lmao, 2 replies after I edited asking for fcr bp's. Thanks guys. With respect to a gpa, 1 fpa better isn't really going to change the fact that I attack slow. I imagine it would have me giving up ~300 max dmg, especially considering I am not likely to get a high % one considering how many of those people make. I know, someone email blizz and tell them that we need a high damage two-handed weapon which can get 6 sockets, with a base weapon speed of -10. That'd be really nice right about now XD

So with that str/fcr ring and the sw sash, I'd be sitting pretty close to the cr speed of most pallies (Assuming they don't go for the 125, that's rare on this realm anyways). The sw sash should make up for a little of the ar/dmg lost by giving up the raven/tgod, hopefully the loss of 20 vita is made up for by cast rate.

A side note, does anyone every think 'castrate' instead of 'cast rate'? Faster castrate sounds like an attribute wanted by farmers [/offtopicrant]

10. Herald of Doom

Herald of Doom IncGamers Member

13 fps= 1.9 attacks/second
    12fps= 2 attacks / second

So, erh, well, I doubt it's worth the dmg lost now that I think about it :p BUT, a GPA BotD only needs 20 IAS for 12fpa, thus freeing up any slot you wish except amu (highlords)

HoD

11. Valar-Wrath

And how do you propose to get 330 fcr?!?!one!! ;)

Anyway, I'd pay SECKS to see Matt and Fox duel. Matt's hammerdin vs. Fox's anti-hammerdin. :clap:

Too bad they are on two different realms. :(

12. ~Foxfire~

Aye thanks for running the numbers, I suppose I'll stick with the wp. Would be nice to be able to drop the gloves and throw on some trangs for a little better cast rate (castrate? >.<), though I'd only do that if I figured I had enough damage to where I wasn't defeating the build entirely. Shat, just realized, arachnid mesh alone hits the 11fps breakpoint, that ring doesn't help me that I just bought unless I can scrounge up another 7 cr somewhere grr. I suppose I'll sell it, I paid too little for it anyways lol.

13. xeyloderixed

xeyloderixed IncGamers Member

14. ADSL

ADSL IncGamers Member

Just 2 quick notes, your ar seems abit on the low side, maybe use some ar/life charms, those are pretty cheap.

And why would you need cbf vs a hammerdin?

15. Still-Xey-Lover

Still-Xey-Lover IncGamers Member

He might duel sorcys too i guess.

16. ~Foxfire~

I'm not sure why I would want to have cbf. It's just something I've always put on my melee characters, lol. I was also thinking of using this character to kill some of the cs hackers on the realm, just hide a bunch of LR charms in the inv. My lr will look low, and tgods doesn't help when lr is already low. I've already had a couple offers from zons to duel me, that would be a satisfying kill as well.

17. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

Well, seeing how my hammerdin doesnt teleport, and is actually built to magic find, I'm not optimistic about what the outcome would be. But, we all know thats never stopped me before. If he WERE on East, I'd do it. (I would rely on making him teleport into hammerfields, and moving in time, so I didnt get hit)

All in all, I think I could probably win a couple duels, though my damage (9k+) is not enough to kill him before he could get away, so I wouldnt kill him with this hammerdin, and he would have a hell of a time hitting me (I do have 125% FCR, and if I so choose, a teleport amulet), I'd predict a draw. Now, give me an enigmadin, built to my specifications... woooooooo-oooohooo

-Matt

18. ~Foxfire~

The hammers that I tanked 3 of before juving were 12k, I imagine it would be a matter of time before the killing blow fell on you. You're right though, a competent hammerdin with 125fcr would be a biatch to catch, though he really would NEED the hammer field to get the kill on me. 1-2 hammers here and there isn't going to stop me :D

19. Dahkar

Dahkar IncGamers Member

Has anyone brought up the fact that he can use dual wizzies(putting him at a insane cast speed) or dual hotos(way more expensive) putting him at a insane cast speed then just weapon switch when you get near them.

20. Valar-Wrath

He could, but that would be tiresome if he had to switch, tele to the hammerdin, switch, attack. If he misses and hammerdin moves, he'd have to switch, tele, switch, attack again. That gives too much time for the hammerdin to take advantage, in my opinion.