Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

PoisonMancer Skill Preference? (Necrochild where art thou?)

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Kyo, Mar 7, 2004.

1. Kyo

Kyo IncGamers Member

PoisonMancer Skill Preference? (Necrochild where art thou?)

Hmmm - kinda stuck inbetween 2 minds here but was wondering what the best order of maxing the 3 poison skills for PvM?

Was playing about with the 2 main ones like PN and PE and both were handy but can see PE does the more damage. So should i max perhaps like this PE, PN and then PD? Which one is more popular and why?

What is the peference of some of u poisonmancer Fanatics out there? :thanks: Oops almost forgot not got my fleshripper yet :grrr: but got something that almost as good :evil: so might even max PD first depending on the benefits

Kyo

Necroooooochillld- GAHHHH Neeeeed youuuur iiiinnnfooo pls! :flip:

2. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

It depends on your build.

If you use dagger a lot it is wise to first pump dagger and then the other skills.

If you are going to use PExplosion you will have to keep in mind that the area affected by the PExplosion is not that large.

If your are going to use Nova a lot it doesn't matter which of the two you max first.

3. DeadFukker

DeadFukker Banned

The way I did mine was started with points into PD until I got to PE, then points into PE until I got to PN. After PN was maxxed, I worked on PE....and the finished with PD.

Didn't really use PD, becuse I had 7 or so Skeletons(with +skills) running around for me.

(HoS no more)

DF

4. JettJagwar

JettJagwar IncGamers Member

i found blackbog's sharp cinquedeas with my bonermancer :thumbsup:

i d be happy to trade it but its an off realm build.

5. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

*feels honor at being mentioned in a topic*

:thanks:​

Never fear, Necrochild is here ;)

I personally think the most useful of the poison skills are dagger and nova, as dagger adds a large amount of poison damage, that can be enhanced by mods on the dagger, such as CB, OW (especially), slows monster by %, prevent monster heal, ect. It also adds ALOT of AR, which allows you have 95% chence to hit many monsters in hell if you have blocking maxed.

For reference, OW is calculated as follows and stacks with poison, so "um"ing a fleshripper would be quite handy on switch for bosses, giving you 75% of open wounds (which lasts for 8 seconds)

Poison Nova is useful, because it allows you to afflict almost a whole screen of baddies, dealing a large amount of damage over a short duration (2 seconds if the monster is at 0% resistance). Those are two traits that PE lacks, and you don't need a corpse to PN. I'd venture to say that CE at a low lvl is more effective than PE at a high lvl w/ synergies.

According to my calculations synergies benefit Pnova greater than more points into the skill itself after pnova has reached lvl 18 (with +skills).

I use the model that you have 22 skill points available lets say, 2 for prerequisits, and 20 remaining. With the absence of +skills poison nova maxed on it's own in this manner would deal

512 - 562 (rounded) with only the 2 prereqs serving as synergies

Yet, at slvl 18 with 2 non-prereq points invested into a synergy the damage looks like this:

514 - 571 (rounded) with 4 points serving as synergies

conclusion: slvl 18 is the point to get pnova at for most efficient damage, maxing the synergies first after this point has been reached.

Based off this conclusion, I'd say bringing pnova to 18 (including +skills) is most important to do as soon as you can, sinking early points into pdagger perhaps, or into skells if your going for a hybrid such as p/s (poison/skelly). Then I'd say go for dagger, keeping a nice one on switch for "just the right" occasion. Then max explosion, the poison spell with the least use IMO, and finish up by maxing nova.

I am planning on building a p/s guide for everyone here, as I've noticed more and more questions have arisen about poison, ect.

6. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

I'm sad to say that I've just done some testing and I've found this information to be incorrect, I blame myself for not being able to test it in-game (I was at work) and for trusting the arreat summit for base pnova damage, who included the prereq synergies in with the base damage, so ignore this for the time being, i'm currently working and testing to find a solution to maximizing poison nova's damage w/synergies.

7. Sigus

Sigus IncGamers Member

I have played many, many poison-mancers and this is what I think.

Max out poison dagger (lets face it, even most sorcs for the first part of the game go melee). I have never found anything (other than poision immune's - dar!) that can survive a clever poison dagger mancer. Once dagger is maxed got for Teeth and Corpse Explosion, then put 1 skill lvl in poison explosion.

Ignor the poison tree now and go to the Curses. Start getting pre req's for lower res.

Save skills after this and get nova and lower res at the same time (never put any more in lower res, unless you carnt afford a homonc and trang gloves - but most players can).

Then start advancing nova with every lvl. Any spare skills should just go into explosion now.

8. prion

prion IncGamers Member

the source of you error Necrochild may be the two synergy points (prereqs) you already have once you're able to put points in PN...?

I did some figuring on a different subject some time ago, and even though PD and PE will put out more raw damage, they do it over a longer time--from my calculations, PN always did more damage per second. I don't remember if I tested how this works with +skills but it is definitely something to think about. The impatient may wish to use poison nova no matter what :)

9. Sigus

Sigus IncGamers Member

You are correct :spy:

Nova is always 2 secs. My poison necro non-ladder can do over 70k dam with poison explosion. But having to wait the 40 secs for the damn things to die is far too long. You could have cast 20 nova's in the same time... and lets face it... most things in hell mode act 5 only need 3-5 nova's from a good necro.

10. MelFrank

MelFrank IncGamers Member

Assuming 20 skill points in all poison skills:

Poison Nova: 933/sec
    Poison Explosion: 940/sec
    Poison Dagger: 525/sec

Considering you can flood nearly the entire screen with Poison Nova, it's clearly the leader in total damage/sec.
    Corpses are much better used by CE than Poison Explosion as well.

Mel

11. Sigus

Sigus IncGamers Member

The only use I fund for PE in when I was soloing in hell mode (no-one would rush me :grrr: ). I used it all the set chars I could.... I just killed minions and PE'ed em and ran away from Andarial, Izzy and a few other that I couldnt stand too closee too.