Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Poisonmancer kill speed

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by shazbot, Jul 14, 2010.

1. shazbot

shazbot IncGamers Member

Poisonmancer kill speed

Heya. I recently respec'd my lvl ** necromancer to be a poison/summon hybrid, and while he's fun to play, the poison damage from nova doesn't seem to be working faster enough once in Hell, and it takes me forever to kill bosses like Diablo when spamming poison nova and waiting for my skelies and merc to hit. It doesn't feel like I am killing things with poison, more like I am simply waiting for a corpse to drop in order to spam CE.

I have maxed poison dagger/explosion/nova with a total of +11 in that skill tree. I'm also wearing the Trang oul's set and am carrying a Death's web. According to the character screen, my nova does 5.5k dmg. And with my items, I have -65% enemy poison resistance.

However, I only put one point in LR, and with plus skills, it's at level 7, -51%. Is that maybe why it's taking me so long to kill things? Also, how high of a LR do I need in order to break resists? I can't seem to damage pus spitters in the River of flame.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Doctor Clock

Doctor Clock IncGamers Member

Re: Poisonmancer kill speed

Only one point in Lower Resists is usually needed. It hits pretty steep diminishing returns early on.

Are you wearing full Trang's? You only need the belt, gloves, and shield to get the negative poison resist bonus.

As far as increasing you kill speed, getting some more +skill items will help. However, CE spam is almost always a necro's fastest way to kill.

3. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member

CE is slower than a high level poison nova(assuming you can juggle casting it between different monster packs).
    However, against bosses amp works better than lower res(assuming skellies and merc are decent).

And poison nova is among the most powerful anti-group skills in the game when decked out so its just necessary to get more facets, skillers. +11 isnt a lot of skills either

4. Rawness

Rawness IncGamers Member

Get some serious CB% on your merc.

It depends on the monsters Poison resistance. A level 7 LR is at about -50%. Against monsters that are fully resistant - lower resist works at 1/5 efficiency. (fully resistant means that the monster has a PR exceeding 100). It would not make such a big difference to have a level 17LR, since you'd only get 61%-PRES.

The most obvious thing to do would be to get more skill+.

11+skills. I'll assume 5+skills from the Trang set, to poison. Then add 3+ from the wand, at least, which menas 8. Now you have a torch I think. which means 11. You could ofc have a 4+ wand and a 2+ amulet.

First off, get a 2+skill amulet or get a torch. Later comes 4 P&B skillers and an anni. Later comes BK's and sojs... that means an increase of 9-10 skills, throw in an CTA on switch an walla 1 more.... (I am aware that it is pretentious, but I just don't see any other way to get your damage going.)

He's wearing full trang ouls as evident by the 65%-resistance.

5. Doctor Clock

Doctor Clock IncGamers Member

What do you mean? Trang's only gives -25% poison resistance. That plus a low roll Dweb would give -65%.

6. Rawness

Rawness IncGamers Member

I mean what you wrote.

7. minuses

minuses IncGamers Member

I believe you would need a high lvl fire golem to take out the last of the monsters life. If dr clock said "Only one point in Lower Resists is usually needed", then im assuming that good fire golem is the way to go.

8. shazbot

shazbot IncGamers Member

Ahh, thanks for all the advice. I didn't realize how expensive the poisonmancer would be. I thought +11 was a decent amount. Should I focus on getting the more expensive +1 skill equipment like sojs and pnb charms, or instead socket my stuff and put poison facets in them? Which would increase my poison damage faster?

Also, since I maxed out on my synergies, I have skill points left over. What would be the best use of them? Is bone prison any good?

9. Rawness

Rawness IncGamers Member

Only applies for PvP

I'd get the torch/anni; a 2+skill amulet if you haven't already aquired that. Later I'd get the 4PB charms. SoJs&bk's are generally duped -- if you aren't trading on the forums. I'd be careful aquiring those. I dunno about the jewels. Too tired to think about those.

10. Ghoulz

Ghoulz IncGamers Member

5k nova is pretty petty. 10k will get the job done and isn't hard to achieve. Around 8k is possible wearing trangs.

11. shazbot

shazbot IncGamers Member

What level of poison nova (after +skills) do I need to hit 8k? With full trangs plus a torch and a +3 pnb ammy, I'm only at +14, and that is only about 6-7k. I don't know. I feel like I should be killing faster.

What are some good clear speeds for places like Chaos Sanctuary or Worldstone Keep? It takes me about 8 minutes to do a full clear of chaos, and that's taking the wp to river flame and running through straight to the entry point. Am I wrong in thinking that I should be able to do it in half of that?

12. Ghoulz

Ghoulz IncGamers Member

With trangs and a level 44 nova I do 9746 damage, with 7x gc/anni/torch/+3 ammy/sojs/and a 2-1-48(15 res jool) deaths web. Death's Web is the holy grail of your equipment and you would consider yourself lucky to even get one.

That's not my favorite though. By just swapping for a shako and putting on a good % bramble my dmg rockets to 13000.

With all your gear and LR, negative 50-100% psn resists should make short work out of most of the monsters, exept bugs cause they usually stay immune to poison. Doom Knights for me are dropping in under just 2 seconds WITHOUT LR and without any other players(and that's using full trangs). Just ignore areas with perma psn immunes like the bugs. You can run pass them without much worry. Chaos is one of the easy areas for a nova necro(just be prepared for Dr Seus and Infector with bone wall or something).

It's not as fast of a chaoser as a light sorc or din but it's alot faster than most. Bosses are just a little slow, but that's because my merc has no CB, still using a crappy setup unlike most of my mercs. If you give em alot of CB him and decrypt with your psn will do them in at a moderately good speed.

13. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member

Oh yeah? Not in my p8 tests :p

Hdin, light sorc:

14. minuses

minuses IncGamers Member

True that it only applies for pvp but still good to get more fire damage in the game.

Who would dupe a bk? They are not that hard to get at all.

15. Ghoulz

Ghoulz IncGamers Member

Could you be a little more reasonable? You really expect everyone to get their life that high...? Sorry, but hardly anyone has that much life to be as reckless as that.

Testing with top notch gear from some single player edit mod proves nothing.

16. minuses

minuses IncGamers Member

Its not hard to hit 4k life on hdin. Just load yourself with 20 life scs then easy 4k life.

17. Ghoulz

Ghoulz IncGamers Member

An Hdin is built to take it to the enemy's face, a typical necro isn't. You can't expect someone that just recently starting building their Bnet necro to teleport right into mobs and come out of it with no worry. Don't even dare mention the skeletons, cause they're useless at protecting you when you teleport right into mobs like that.

Even 2000 life is hard for a necro. Skillers with life don't grow on trees.....

18. breened

breened IncGamers Member

The Fire Golem's damage is horrible. Its only purpose is for finishing people off in PvP. You're much better off using Clay Golem.

19. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member

Im not expecting anything, just a demo to show that with decent gear necro is right up there among faster chaos cleaners.(just java speed is unreachable lol, but java is imba :crazyeyes: )

20. shazbot

shazbot IncGamers Member

Thanks for all the info guys, it's been really helpful. One last question. If I wanted to socket my gear with poison facets, but can't afford perfect 5/5's, which should I shoot for? Is +dmg more important or -resist?