Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Poisonmancer Gear

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by unseenSNIPER, Apr 7, 2004.

1. unseenSNIPER

unseenSNIPER IncGamers Member

Poisonmancer Gear

Is it better to equipt 3 pieces of trang's set (golves, belt, shield) for the -25%PR, or is it better to piece together uniques (homunculus, arachnids)? yes, i've read the guides and all, but they don't really say which is better.

2. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

Definitely The partial trangs.

-25% poison resists will yeild more damage than extra +skills. Because -25% poison resistance is actually translated as +50% poison damage, because the with lower resistances to poison the length is increased by that % and so is the damage.

Look at it this way -100% poison resistance would yeild 4x damage as I understand it with 1 pnova.

There are other benefits between using the homoncolus and arach, the extra +5 to curses, +1 to p/b, and +3 to summoning that between those are quite nice, and so is the resists and mana. However, using partial trangs you will recieve nice +life, cannot be frozen, decent resists as well, and that +firewall which helps your character in his versitility.

I'd have to rule out the homon, arach setup because

A. the only thing arach is doing for you is +1 to skills and 5% mana increase. No resists, life, ect. The fcr is worthless, as you need only cast once every so many seconds.
    B.Misconceptions that homoncolus is better for blocking is rampant. It is a fact that trang-ouls wing is better for blocking until you hit lvl 96, because the +str and +dex mean that its basically a combined +dex, because you'll be spending less into str.

3. Cold493

Cold493 IncGamers Member

I would say partial trangs is better and cheaper for PvP. The unique setup could possibilly be better for PvM.

4. Necrochild313

Oh, I must add, your curse habit would also decide which you should use. Since -100% is the most you can get negative wise on any resistance if you like to use AI curses or if your a hybrid I'd say use partial trangs. If you like simply using lower resistance all of the time, -100% wouldn't be hard to achieve with just a deaths web added, so in part it's up to you. I think that -75% resistance is enough, and it frees me to use other curses besides LR. I mostly play hybrid when it comes to poisonmancers, so I only lower resistance what my skellies cannot get to. I amp all the rest. But keep your cursing habit in mind when deciding your gear.

5. weirdoctor

weirdoctor IncGamers Member

Necrochild, I'm just curious as to how much you usually invest into skillies, s.mastery and s.resist? I've got 3 in skelly, 1 in resist, and 2 in mastery from a pair of marrows, all propped up by +skills, but the skellies still seem fragile even in late nightmare.

Also, you mention that fcr is useless for this build - which brings me to another query. Is it a good idea to spam the novas consecutively or cast, wait out the 2sec duration, then recast? I'm just confused, as some of the stickied guides advocate a +2 skills, 20fcr rare circlet being the headgear of choice.

6. Æ’enris

Æ’enris Banned

Mehh.....
    Partial Trang, Bramble, Death's Web is most damaging. Trang Shield is also fairly nice.

7. unseenSNIPER

would it be any better to use the whole trangs set?

8. Koggit

Koggit IncGamers Member

Which pieces of Trang is best for the setup? Belt, gloves, and shield I'd assume...

9. unseenSNIPER

yes, those are the best pieces of the set for a poisonmancer

10. patheticloser

patheticloser IncGamers Member

For a hybrid build I would recmend a white runeword. +4 to SM and +3 to psn/bone skills. Find a wand with some extra goodies on it and you are good to go! I have one that has +1 to LR and +1 to revive. So I can save points in the curses and summon trees and pump up the psn! I am going to wait a bit before I stick in the runes, in case I find something better. Don't forget that you cannont make a runeword in an item with a blue name.

11. Necrochild313

Hell no, hybrid build use deaths web or leoric if you can't afford a DW (which is understandable) I max skellies first, max poison, and dump the rest into skelly mastery.

Use trang belt too :D, cbf +life and 40 cold resist (partial set) is never a bad thing.

12. belth

belth IncGamers Member

White is for Bonemancers, not Venomancers... Anyway, lvl10 Lower Resist is an absolute minimum if you're going to use the curse, so with a +1 LR wand you'd need +9 to curses to break all breakable poison immunes.

On the subject of spamming PN, it's pointless, they're already poisoned once, the consecutive casts don't help. Surprisingly most Venomancers I see in public Baal-runs do that...

13. Necrochild313

no lvl 1 LR is all you need with +skills. Breaking the immunity is the important part. For some reason -resistance effects aren't effected by the 1/5 penalty that LR and Conviction are on immunes, but of course, won't have an effect unless one of those (only LR for poison) breaks it.

I am curious on why you insist on lvl 10... is -55% what to go for? I may have missed a discussion...hmmm....

I've always advocated just 1 point with plus to skills for 2 reasons:

1. LR is so damn diminishing
    2. -100% is the max for any -resist, with a deaths web and partial trangs a lvl 1 LR with +skills can achieve that for almost any monsters besides immunes. UD of course have natural poison resistances, and I'm not sure but i'll so some looking into what lvl LR would be neccessary to get them down close to there, but a few % more damage isn't worth dropping lots of points into. That'd be like a sorc maxing out Ice bolt for frozen orb's synergy, instead of investing in something more worthy.

LR is too diminishing to spend too many points into, 1 point with +skills is all I advocate unless there is some special reason to have -55% poison resistance, IE max breakable immune has 111% poison resistance, but I find that unlikely.