Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Poison / Summon Hybrid Build

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by gvandale, Mar 23, 2004.

1. gvandale

gvandale IncGamers Member

Poison / Summon Hybrid Build

My poison / summon hybrid build

I’ll keep this short, sweet, and simple.

Skills

Summon Tree (29)
    20 Skeleton Warrior (max this first)
    1 Skeleton Mastery*
    1 Clay Golem*
    1 Golem Mastery*
    1 Summon Resist*

Poison ‘N Bone Tree (62)
    1 Teeth*
    1 CE*
    20 Poison Dagger
    20 Poison Explosion
    20 Poison Nova

Curse Tree (5)
    1 Amp Damage
    1 Weaken*
    1 Terror*
    1 Decrepify*
    1 Dim Vision*

* denotes 1 point wonder (see leveling section)

The listed skills above will take you into hell, and at around clvl 80 (depending on when you do your hell skill quests). After this, pump up Skeleton Mastery.

*adversely, you can max mastery instead of poison dagger to get greater skeleton’s, but I love my poison.

Gear
    Helm: Shako
    Armor: Skin of the Vipermagi
    Amulet: Mara’s
    Weapon 1: Death’s Web
    Shield 1: Homonculus
    Weapon 2: Arm of King Leoric
    Shield 2: Darkforce Spawn (+3 summon tree a must) / +3 Boneflame
    Ring 1: Soj / BK Ring
    Ring 2: Soj / BK Ring / Wisp Projector
    Gloves: Trang Oul’s Gloves
    Boots: Silkweaves
    Belt: Arachnid Mesh

Charms: Of course we’d all love 10 pnb charms, or even 10 summon charms. Ain’t gonna happen. That’s too steep of an investment for pvm for most of us. Get what you can. If you can’t get skiller’s, get single res charms (+11 is max on sc’s) to max out your resistsances. Don’t forget to get an annihilus.

Wisp Projector is listed as a possible second ring so you can summon either a Oak Sage (life) or a Heart of the Wolverine (damage / ar) to help your party out! The summon won't get whooped on too much with all the other minions out, so no worries.

With the listed gear, you have +14 all skills when in poison mode (weap/shield 1) and +16 to your prebuff gear on weapon switch (if you go with only what’s listed). You can add +1 more to your prebuff if you get a magical +3 summon amulet and switch it out when you cast your skeletons and golem.

When you switch to massive +skill gear to cast your skeleton’s, they spawn with the damage / life / defense modifiers of that level. So you will the actual # of skeletons in the difference of levels, but they will be much stronger.

So with listed gear, here’s your dmg output:

Poison Nova: 4468-4640 over 2 seconds
    Poison Explosion: 32,917 – 35,577

Skeleton’s
    Warrior: 347-350 damage / 800 defense / 871 life / 12 skeleton’s / +64 res all
    Golem: 7986 life / slows enemies 60% / +64 res all

The life / dmg / def #’s are pre-buffed, but the # of skel’s themselves is what you’ll end up with. Not bad ehh?

Stats
    Strength: 84
    Dexterity: 192
    Vitality: Rest
    Energy: 50 base

84 Strength is required for up’d Skin of the vipermagi. Not necessary, but kinda sexy.
    192 Dexterity is required for 75% block with homunculus. Sexxy.

Try taking into consideration your +stat items (mara / shako / anni) for your strength and dexterity to afford you more into vitality.

Mercenary
    Typical to a summoner build, I suggest a Act 2 Offensive Mercenary hired in the nightmare difficulty. This gives him, you, and your skeleton’s the MIGHT aura. Sexxy.

Give him a big damage weapon (most elite pole’s will work, except reaper’s toll due to decrepify). My gear of preference is always a Bonehew (amn/amn) / Leviathan / Vamp Gaze

Leveling Tips
    Start off by joining a public game, something with a good bit of people. Example: “a3 all q†or something where you know you’ll get a1 all to yourself. Your going to melee your way through the first few levels, until your skeleton’s can hang on their own.

Start off with your first point into amp damage, this will make you and your 1 skellie own. From there, add to skeleton warrior, only breaking to fill in the important 1 point wonders (as mentioned above).

Once you have your skel's maxed out, and all your 1 pointers filled, start stacking the poison nova, then explosion, then dagger.

Use an a1 rogue (fire) merc until nm when you get your might merc.

It is important to have decrepify by the time you fight DIABLO. Decrep and your golem will make him move slower then crap while your team picks him apart.

For stats, I jacked strength to 60 immediately. Then I went on a 2/3 ratio between dex / vit from there on out. I got to about mid-levels when I finally raised my strength up some (enough for end game) then I kept on my 2/3 until I hit 75% with homo. Then it was all vit.

Dont forget to use Corpse Explosion. It should be around level 15'ish, which gives it a good radius. Also, Poison Explosion has HUGE poison damage, so rock out with your 'xxxx' out!

Have fun. This has been the most enjoyable experience in Diablo yet. And I've been a b.net'er since day 1 of d2 classic. This guy is really doing something!

g

Other recommended reading material:
    Encyclopedia
    Bible
    PVP Poison Build
    What time is it?

2. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

One question:

-Doable without the suggested gear?

3. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

I think 10 in PD, 10 in SM and 1 in SMage would provide better balance and let you be more effective without so many +skills

4. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

This is similar to a guide I'm workin on, and a char I'm working on too. I must add that for a p/s (poison skelly) there are 2 ways to do them, a rich build and a cheap build. The cheap build involves sacrificing a poison synergy (pumped last) for maxing RS. The rich build involves maxing RS pumping poison last.

My first 1.10 char was a p/s based off my cheap build theory that I could've soloed hell with (I soloed everything, but I baal ran pubby for exp...I don't count it soloing hell if you baal run pubby :p ). I had a +3 raise skeleton wand I bought from akara til I was in my 70s lmao.

So yes, this build can be done w/o ub3r 1337s

5. Dr.G

Dr.G IncGamers Member

actually I wanted to make the same character so thanks for the little guide. So I should max my skellies first before I mve on to my other stuff?

6. Mad Mantis

Reading is difficult, I know. :lol:

7. gvandale

rofl!

such a perfect way to answer mm.

I'd think this is doable w/o the uber crap i listed. that is just 'dream' gear. honestly though at this point, i don't value shako / magi that thigh. homo is cheap. the rings / arachnid are a little more pricey, but on useast ladder, not too bad.

the most expensive is death's web, which can easily be replaceable with a good +poison nova wand with some facets. or even a blackbog's sharp cinquedeas which gives +5 pd / +4pe / +4 pn. facet'd also.

i didn't cover this, but maybe i should. socket your available gear with um's if necessary or facets if your res is good.

g

8. HarbingersOfSkulls

HarbingersOfSkulls IncGamers Member

I would suggest maxxing Skeleton Mastery after all 3 poison skills are completely done. I find that my Skeletons did enough damage(with my +skills) to allow me to do this.

I used a norm prayer merc until I got to nm, and found him to be very useful instead of a rouge.

Also, would suggest at least 3 pieces of Trang's(to further improve your Poison Damage)...if not the complete set.

LR is very useful for the build also, and like all curses only 1 point is needed( with my +skills I got to 57%) and found any further points into it would have been wasted trying to get to 60%.

Great guide... :drink: :buddies:

HoS

9. gvandale

HOS...V1? OR V2?

HEE HEE...

Oh well, yea for anyone that missed that section, max skel mastery after your poison is done.

I don't use lower res, but if that's your cup of tea go for it. I just saw it as a way to slow my skellies.

I do like trang's set, and I did not mention the 3 pieces for the +25 poison dmg / -25 poison res mod's because I think that there is more to be had for the full hybrid by piecing together uniques.

oh well, thanks for the thoughts everyone, i just got tired of staring at venom / summon questions.

g

10. HarbingersOfSkulls

HarbingersOfSkulls IncGamers Member

I only had to use it in certain areas myself, but still is good to have.

Hopefully most of the repeat questions will finally come to a stop.

HoSv1

11. gvandale

which monsters are poison immune? I mean like over 100% immune?

g

12. Mad Mantis

Check d2data.net

13. gvandale

bah! i am soooo noob for getting that reply!

g

14. daskidude

daskidude Banned

im doing something like this, but i have full trangs set for the uber 1337ness of the vampire with sorc fire spellz and lower res. i am also more summoning than psn (i have revives, golem depending on my mood, warrior, mages, near max mastery.) if a few lvls i plan on going to max nova and synergies. he's fun.

15. belth

belth IncGamers Member

Too many in Hell to ignore Lower Resist IMO. It also helps CE and is very nice when you encounter an unbreakable Physical Immunity.

16. moby

moby IncGamers Member

This is a very viable build, even in HardCore. I have a level 86 hybrid now. He's more on the summoning side than posion, but he's getting there.

20 RS
    20 SM
    1 All golems
    1 Most curses
    1 Bone Armor
    No Bone Prision
    No Bone Wall
    1 BSpear
    1 BSpirit

20 PN
    15 PE or so will max

Equipment

Shako
    Skin of the Viper
    Carian Shard/Teleport Staff
    Homoncolus
    Rare +1 +49 life +19 dex +14 all resist amy
    SOJ/Raven
    WaterWalks/Marrowalks (have to get my str up for these)
    Nightsmoke (upgraded)
    Trangs Gloves

No skill charms
    Might Merc

He only does 2000 posion damage with PN but I hope to get it up to 2500-3000 someday.

Effective killer, only delema do I cast AD for my skellies, or LR for myslef. As my posion damage goes up, I find I use LR more and more. And of course I use Decrepify on bossess and other nasties.

-moby

17. Panix

Panix IncGamers Member

I started out making a skellimancer and my build goes like this:

20 RS
    20 SM
    2 Revive
    1 GM, CG, IG
    1 Summon Resist
    1 to all curses but iron maiden, life tap and LR
    1 to BA, Teeth, and CE
    1 to Raise Mage

I've got a couple skill points accumulated and I'm trying to decide what I should do next. Is it better to max the poison skills or should I try and hope that I get something worth a flip to trade for a marrowalk and max bone spirit and/or spear? I can't decide which way to finish this build off.

As far as equipment goes, I've got a trang's armor a friend gave me and a homu he gave me a good trade on. Wormskull, Hsaru's belt and boots (sux i know), culver's blade, eye of elrith and some frosties for gloves. Is there any equipment someone would recommend to get? I've accumulated like 50+ pgems and got a hel rune the other day from hellforge so I don't really have much to trade :(

Am I missing some post on trade values or is this something you just have to feel out and learn? like I got a IK helm and the hel rune and I don't know if they're worth trying to get anything I'd want to trade for them or if I should just hold on to them...

Any help would be appreciated. feel free to /w *Panix if you want to quest.

*EDIT* Is the skill planner at d2items.com accurate or should I be using another one?

18. Pallidum

Pallidum IncGamers Member

I don't understand the difference between the cheap build and the rich build you mentioned. Aren't they essentially the same thing? In both instances you are advocating maxing RS before a poison skill. O_O

19. royalesse

royalesse IncGamers Member

If you plan on running area's then use Poison. If you plan on running bosses then use Bone. If you're just playing for fun then decide which you like to use (you don't really need either of them).

Personally... Teleport, Summons, & PNova is a helluva good time.

Edit: AFAIK Chippydip's calculator is accurate.

J/W why do you mention ViperMagi over Enigma? Also... has anyone tried using Beast with their Skele-mancer just to squeeze out a little more aura damage (not to transform into a WereBear)? If so is it worth it? or are +skills better?

20. Beatboxer

Beatboxer Member

Good initial effort Gvan. I have been waiting for a good Poison/skele build guide to surface since 1.10 release. One of the best characters in whole game, esp. with the right equipment.

I would definitely make mention of how all undead apparently have a high resistance to poison in hell diff. Also those Venom Lords or whatever, phew those goes eat poison for breakfast. I am not completely experienced with questing a poison/skeleman, but in hell, places like act2 crypts kicked my low budget hybrids a-ose.

The Trang's pieces are great for the fire wall and the -enemy res among they're other bonuses so those definitely need a strong nod in a guide outlining this character type.

All in all though it is about time a guide like this has come out.:cool:

~Bb