Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Poison / Summon Hybrid Build v2.0

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by gvandale, Mar 28, 2004.

1. gvandale

gvandale IncGamers Member

Poison / Summon Hybrid Build v2.0

My poison / summon hybrid build v2.0

This is my build (what I did) in my Poison / Summon Hybrid Necromancer. There is nothing listed here that you MUST do, merely, how I did it, and was very successful.

Skills
    Summon Tree (29)
    20 Skeleton Warrior (max this first)
    1 Skeleton Mastery*
    1 Clay Golem*
    1 Golem Mastery*
    1 Summon Resist*

Poison ‘N Bone Tree (62)
    1 Teeth*
    1 CE*
    20 Poison Dagger
    20 Poison Explosion
    20 Poison Nova

Curse Tree (5)
    1 Amp Damage
    1 Weaken
    1 Terror
    1 Decrepify*
    1 Dim Vision*
    1 Iron Maiden (pre-req)
    1 Life tap (pre-req)
    1 Lower Resist

* denotes 1 point wonder (see leveling section)

The listed skills above will take you into hell, and at around clvl 83 (depending on when you do your hell skill quests). At this point, you can (should) pump your Skeleton Mastery for the rest of the game…

***adversely, you can max mastery instead of poison dagger to get greater skeleton’s, but I love having more dmg from my poison, as my skeleton’s do just fine as is.

Expensive Gear
    Helm: Shako
    Armor: Skin of the Vipermagi / Enigma
    Amulet: Mara’s
    Weapon 1: Death’s Web (2/2 is optimal)
    Shield 1: Homonculus (p.diamond)
    Weapon 2: Arm of King Leoric
    Shield 2: Darkforce Spawn (+3 summon tree a must) / +3 Boneflame / Homonculus
    Ring 1: Soj / BK Ring
    Ring 2: Soj / BK Ring / Wisp Projector
    Gloves: Trang Oul’s Gloves*
    Boots: Silkweaves
    Belt: Arachnid Mesh

*If you are a non-ladder player, be careful, as the 1.09 trang’s gloves do not have the +25 poison dmg mod on them, and will not give you the 3 piece +25/-25 bonus.

Less Expensive Gear Options
    Can’t afford the above mentioned items? Understandable on a few of them. Remember that you don’t have to wear 100% unique / rune word godlies to be good in pvm.

So look for items that have +skills (prefer +2 all over +3 pnb), resistances (you’ll need em). Anything can and will work for gear. So long as you can get a good clip of +skills, you’ll be fine.

Trang Oul’s Set
    Now there was talk of trang’s set, which gives a good -25% poison res mod, with other good ones as well. It also gives Sorcy Fire skills that are helpful with poison immune monsters. As you’ll see below from my actual character, fire skills weren’t necessary.
    If you cannot afford the ‘expensive’ gear listed, this is a GREAT secondary option, either full set, or 3 piece (helm / wang / gloves).

Charms
    Of course we’d all love 10 pnb charms, or even 10 summon charms. Ain’t gonna happen. That’s too steep of an investment for pvm for most of us. Get what you can. If you can’t get skiller’s, get single res charms (+11 is max on sc’s) to max out your resistances. Don’t forget to get an annihilus.

Numbers
    With the listed expensive gear, you have +14 all skills when in poison mode (weap/shield 1) and +16 to your prebuff gear on weapon switch (if you go with only what’s listed). You can add +1 more to your prebuff if you get a magical +3 summon amulet and switch it out when you cast your skeletons and golem.

When you switch to massive +skill gear to cast your skeleton’s, they spawn with the damage / life / defense modifiers of that level. So you will lose the actual # of skeletons in the difference of levels, but they will be much stronger.

So with listed gear, here’s your dmg output:

Poison Nova: 4468-4640 over 2 seconds
    Poison Explosion: 32,917 – 35,577

Skeleton’s
    Warrior: 347-350 damage / 800 defense / 871 life / 12 skeleton’s / +64 res all
    Golem: 7986 life / slows enemies 60% / +64 res all

The life / dmg / def #’s are pre-buffed, but the # of skel’s themselves is what you’ll end up with. Not bad ehh?

Stats
    Strength: 84
    Dexterity: 192
    Vitality: Rest
    Energy: base

84 Strength is required for up’d Skin of the vipermagi. Not necessary, but kinda sexy.
    192 Dexterity is required for 75% block with homunculus. Sexxy.

Try taking into consideration your +stat items (mara / shako / anni) for your strength and dexterity to afford you more into vitality.

Mercenary
    Typical to a summoner build, I suggest a Act 2 Offensive Mercenary hired in the nightmare difficulty. This gives him, you, and your skeleton’s the MIGHT aura. Sexxy.

Give him a big damage weapon (most elite pole’s will work, except reaper’s toll due to decrepify). My gear of preference is always a Bonehew (amn/amn) / Leviathan / Vamp Gaze

Socketing
    You definitely want to make sure you have 75 res all in hell. End of story. With my gear (see below) I was able to achieve this with only a p.diamond in the homo, and very little res coming off of charms.

GVANDALE on USEast SC Ladder
    Clvl: 83
    Base Stats / After Items Stats
    Strength: 90 / 116
    Dexterity: 161 / 187
    Vitality: 224 / 245
    Energy: 25 / 71

1609 Defense
    75% Block
    830 Life
    504 Mana

Gear:
    Helm: Shako (o/s)
    Armor: Skin of the Vipermagi (32%, Upgraded to Wyrmhide, +3/-4 Poison Facet)
    Weapon 1: Death’s Web (2/2/48, +5/-4 Poison Facet)
    Shield 1: Homonculus (P.Diamond)
    Weapon 2: Arm of King Leoric
    Shield 2: Homonculus
    Gloves: Trang’s Gloves
    Blet: Arachnid Mesh Belt
    Amulet: Mara’s Amulet (+27% Resist)
    Rings: SOJ / Bul-Katho’s Ring
    Boots: Silkweave

Charms:
    +2 summon gc’s
    1 gheed’s
    1 1/19/14/8 Annihilus
    11 / 8 light res sc’s
    9 poison res sc

75/75/75/71 all resistances

Skills:
    Base / After Items
    Skele Warrior (on weapon switch): 20 / 38
    Skele Mastery (on weapon switch: 1 / 19
    Clay Golem: 1 / 16
    Golem Mastery: 1 / 16
    Summon Resist: 1 / 16
    Corpse Explosion: 1 / 16
    Poison Dagger: 20 / 35
    Poison Explosion: 20 / 35
    Poison Nova: 20 / 35
    All Curses: 1 / 18

6234-6462 Poison Nova
    47k – 51k Poison Explosion
    Golem: 7218 Life (h) / 60% Slow
    Skels’: 14 Skele’s / 425-429 dmg / 929 life (h)
    Summon Res: +64%

I was able to solo hell a1 – a5, including ancients / Diablo / Baal / etc…

There were some times that it got tricky with poison resistance monsters. I didn’t have lower resistance curse yet, so I focused on my skeleton’s / Merc to get me a corpse, and my CE (slvl 16) gives a radius of about 7.6 yards. Good enough to clear out all tricky parts.

A2 was especially tough, so I equipped a weapon that granted +LR on weapon switch and used that once my skele’s were summoned.

My Merc:
    Lvl 81
    1667 Life
    75/75/75/75 Res
    4k Defense
    805-3167 Dmg w/ aura active

‘Stone’ Wire Fleece (ethereal)
    Tal’s Helm
    Bonehew (310% amn/amn)

Leveling Strategy
    Now while I went the ‘expensive’ route, and some will advocate maxing skel mastery if your going the ‘other’ route, I do believe it would be completely achievable.

Start off by joining a public game, something with a good bit of people. Example: “a3 all q†or something where you know you’ll get a1 all to yourself. Your going to melee your way through the first few levels, until your skeleton’s can hang on their own.

Start off with your first point into amp damage, this will make you and your 1 skellie own. From there, add to skeleton warrior, only breaking to fill in the important 1 point wonders (as mentioned above).

Once you have your skel's maxed out, and all your 1 pointers filled, start stacking the poison nova, then explosion, then dagger.

The reason I suggest maxing out your skeleton warriors first is because they will provide more then enough killing power to let you get through normal / nm while you pump your poison. If you go the poison route, the first 20something levels will be extremely difficult, as you will only have poison dagger (nice, but you’re not building a melee guy) and the poison explosion (which has nice dmg on paper, but gets whiddled down over the duration, and it has a crappy radius).

Use an a1 rogue (fire) merc until nm when you get your might merc. Our very own HOSv.1 suggest a normal a2 prayer merc to help your skellies survive. It’s all completely personal preference, because that merc is going down once you hit a2 nm.

I do not remember who originally mentioned this trick, but in a4 chaos sanctuary. To keep your merc alive, take his weapon off. His dmg will suck, but he’s really only there for the aura. This will keep IM from wasting him.

It is important to have decrepify by the time you fight DIABLO. Decrep and your golem will make him move slower then crap while your team picks him apart.

For stats, I jacked strength to 60 immediately. Then I went on a 2/3 ratio between dex / vit from there on out. I got to about mid-levels when I finally raised my strength up some (enough for end game) then I kept on my 2/3 until I hit 75% with homo. Then it was all vit.

Dont forget to use Corpse Explosion. It should be around level 15'ish, which gives it a good radius. Also, Poison Explosion has HUGE poison damage, so rock out with your 'xxxx' out!

Have fun. This has been the most enjoyable experience in Diablo yet. And I've been a b.net'er since day 1 of d2 classic. This guy is really doing something!

G

Links:
    Poison / Summon Hybrid Build v1.0 (check to see people's comments)
    Encyclopedia Necromantica
    Skellimancer Bible
    PVP Poison Build
    Greatest Link Ever

2. jbeast

jbeast Banned

Sounds sexy :) Great job, and very well explained. Soon as I build up an MFer and PvPer I think I'll break in my first reg 1.10 char as a Psn/Summoner. GJ.

3. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

Very similar to the poison/skelly (p/s) guide I've been building, I'll have to link to your guide as reference when it's done. Overall a good job, and I played with your GVANDALE char with the posterboy for my P/S the other day with you in act 4 hell :p.

Oh, and it was Lyte_Hammer who mentioned that trick with the merc's wep in act4 to BeatBoxer, who posted it here ;)

4. gvandale

Thanks guys!

Props to Lyte_Hammer / BeatBoxer for the tip on merc weapon.

As for the other day in a4 hell, I didn't have Lower Res yet, and I didn't really understand the full potential of the build with that in mind.

P.S.
    I may be switching out the Vipermagi for a 'Bramble'.

g

5. Ario

Ario IncGamers Member

What do you prefer

Hello, I'm going to be making my necro today and I have a quick question...

What is better, homo + arachnid + trangs gloves or trangs gloves + belt + shield? I'm looking for better overall...or just any opinion! Thanks in advance!

6. HarbingersOfSkulls

HarbingersOfSkulls IncGamers Member

Trang's belt, gloves, and shield are better.

HoSv1

7. HarbingersOfSkulls

I found the act1 Fire rouge died way too much for me in act2, even with all my skeletons. The act2 merc(prayer or def) also seems to kill much faster for me that rouge did.

If you remember the old-school guides for a summoner was a Prayer merc back in the day of NecromancerLord being a mod. And even though your a hybrid...you are starting(and leveling faster) as a wannbe Summoner. So the act2 merc does make it more easier to level you and protect you.

HoSv1

8. gvandale

HoSv1:
    Thanks for the advice. By any chance, could you *snip* the quote?

fluffy g

9. Ario

Ario IncGamers Member

Hey

Gvandale, I play USEast Ladder as well if you want to hook up sometime... PM me your account or something :thumbsup:

10. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Yeah HoS, snip the darn thing. All that quoting is hurting my biceps.

11. gvandale

ario:
    post your item related begging in the necroforumfund thread. it's stickied. don't post in other threads asking for items.

g

12. Ario

Ario IncGamers Member

Anger

Edited Out

13. gvandale

ario: no need to be a jerk. i misread your post sorry.

g

14. Ario

Ario IncGamers Member

heh

Only posted as a jerk cause the way your post reads is that I am a lowly noob so I should immediately go to another post to beg for items :yawn:

15. gvandale

nothing wrong with snagging items from the forum fund, that is why it's there. either way, look me up somtime

16. Ario

Ario IncGamers Member

I agree

Never meant to mean that it was wrong, I was just saying that it appeared as though you were fed up with newbs and ungraciously pointed them to the fund thread :innocent:

Anyway, what is your account name? That was the original reason of this... I saw that your nec name was gvandale, is that your ac as well?

17. gvandale

yea that's my acct. i play on.

i trade/mule on *gvandale1

so what items push you over the 'leetness' boundary into the realm of 'ubersexxxy-leetness'?

18. Ario

Ario IncGamers Member

I play on *Ario_TG and mule on *Ario, *Ario_

Currently I am leveling my new necro and I'd have to show you the items :buddies:

19. HarbingersOfSkulls

No, not until fluf is stuffed :lol:

then I'll think about it :scratch:

HoSv1

20. HarbingersOfSkulls

Why?...when you can buy from the girl bot.

:drink: :buddies:

HoSv1