Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Poison Skelly Hybrids

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by drinkturps, Jun 14, 2005.

1. drinkturps

drinkturps IncGamers Member

Poison Skelly Hybrids

Before I start, I've not got a lot but, I've found a blackbog's shard and numerous + summon skill bits and pieces. I plan to make a Hybrid summoner. I've looked at the guides and as a HC player I'm slightly nervous on his life span.

I have at my disposal Trangs Armour (+2 summons) , a +3 Summoning skills wand, a +3 summon diadem and a +2 summoning head and a +1 Necro Amu. Now as a pre-buff I should be sorted with +11 skills for my skellies and golem.

After switching back this would give me 10 tough skellies and golem.
    1 point into each curse and summon tree.

After maxing RS with 1 point in mastery it looks that Poison Nova is maxed next. What then? Max Poison Dagger for some commando style fun or Poison Explosion? Without all the Trang bit's and bobs will my poison not be too effective for hell?

On paper it looks a really fun build, I'd like to ask those that have played them what there experiences are. He's at level 18 at the mo putting in the pre-reqs etc

2. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

After you maxed Nova you can max the synergies. More often than not those skills are never used. They are just there to increase the damage.

Without the Trang's pieces or other of the high-end poison items your poison will be noticeably weaker. It will take more blasts to finish off most enemies. Also poison immunes will give you a harder time. Against a lot of monsters you will still do good damage. Compared to a fully equipped Poison-hybrid you’ll find that there are more monsters that give you a hard time since you’ll be unable to drop their resists efficiently enough.

If you are unable to get some of the higher-end you might want to focus on bumping Skellies and then going for the poison. This will leave you with a decent attack to support the skellies and will make you a lot less gear dependant.

3. drinkturps

drinkturps IncGamers Member

Thanks, I guess it's all about balance and I will not know until I try it out for myself. I don't suppose there's too much harm in adding a few points to mastery if my buddies are taking a beating.

I take it that with my proposed gear I will be fine through to the end of nightmare until I manage to get some of the more desirable bits?

4. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Yeah, you should do fine.

5. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

As long as your skeletons can actually survive, you only have to rely on your merc to make that first corpse to explode to have a viable build, so equipping him well with a decent high damage weapons and good resists is important if you don't have the ideal gear. I wasn't blown away by my poison attacks without all the -resist/+ poison damage benefits you get from having a three piece Trang's setup and Death's Web, but I'll bet the poison will work well at taking enough off the top that amped corpse explodes will still be killing them in one hit and even just getting triple Trang's eventually should give you an impressive but affordable boost (It's basically like suddenly having 5 perfect poison facets). At the very least the gloves are dirt cheap and crank up all your poison damage (synergies included) by 25%.

I'm planning on rebuilding my poison/skeleton hybrid with the following points.

Summoning

SM 5/RS 20
    Clay Golem/Golem Mastery 1/1
    Summon Resist 1

PNB

62 for all the poison synergies and CE/Teeth prereqs

Curses

10 to get 1 in each.

That makes an even 100 which is about the time leveling up gets really slow. I'd recommend getting all your points into the summoning tree and Teeth/CE first and just playing it as a standard skellimancer until your poison damage gets decent enough to be useful. Despite being incredibly fast standard monster killers Skellie/Poison hybrids aren't fantastic boss killers so you will want to keep your minions survivable for the long haul.

6. vagrantrogue

vagrantrogue IncGamers Member

i'm at about lvl 48 now, and i've maxed out RS and SM, got 1 into summon resist and 1 into revive [and all the pre reqs]. i've also added 1 into CE and put 1 into decrep and its prereqs. i feel pretty comfortable for this as the foundation, but now i am wondering what else i should do.

fishymancer's guide says to max out CE, but i have a few +skills to increase my blast radius, and so far, i dont feel the need to make that radius bigger.

that said, i am considering the poison route, but there's no guarantee i can find the right equipment to fully take advantage of poison type attacks. what i'd like to know is assuming i dont rely heavily on my gear, is poison a better route to take than bone, or getting mages or beefing up one of the golems?

7. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

I can't tell you which route is "best", but I can tell you that beefing up a golem isn't going to do any good.

As for bone: with lets say 60 skillpoints already spent and 40 available, you can bring spirit to a decent level of damage --- even more so if you add Marrowwalks. Physical/magic immune combos aren't that common...

I also like my mages, even though they aren't the fastest killer in the 'verse.

8. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

Always a pleasure to meet another firefly fan.

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend maxing a golem either. If you're going to do a hybrid build, it's best not to keep skeleton mastery at only one point until you're happy with the synergies for your bone or poison skills. Once you've gotten 100 skill points, it's really hard to get the last 10 so 20/20 won't allow you to max poison which you will want to if you don't have any ideal gear. I'd advise making that character a straight up Summoner and then starting a new hybrid.