Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Poison Questions

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Nightfire05, May 8, 2005.

1. Nightfire05

Nightfire05 IncGamers Member

Poison Questions

I just started a Venomancer, going to use Poison Nova as the main skill. I'm a little unsure of the backup skills, though, as for what I should invest in after maxing the poison skills. What would be a good idea?

Secondly, I'm wondering about how to calculate poison damage over time. I currently use a dagger with a chipped emerald (I'm only level 7, by the way), and the poison dagger skill. Dagger is, I think 10-26 over 2.4 seconds, and the emerald is 10 over 3 seconds. How would that be calculated? And would adding poison charms be a good way to get extra damage? Thanks in advance.

2. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

Corpse Explosion is always a decent skill to have lots of points in. Also get Attract and Lower Resist. Maybe a golem if you feel like it. Just one point in all of them and Summon Resist is enough. Fire golem is useful for questing, he draws enemies to him with his aura. Clay is good vs bosses.

3. farting bob

farting bob Banned

I'd go with some CE as well. After you amx the 3 posion skills, you only have enough left for 1 skill, plus a synergy, so that rules out the bone skills, all having too many synergies to be made effective. So you can either go for summon mastery/skele, or golem. Curses all should have 1 point in, Lr will help alot.

4. Nightfire05

I'm tempted to max CE, as the radius gets quite large at high levels, and I could use the poison to give me only a few bodies, and clear the rest out with CE. I plan on using all the curses, Attract and Poison Nova, combined with CE, would clear a good bit, quite fast.

5. farting bob

farting bob Banned

If your maxing out CE, then you'll onyl have few extra points left over. If your not using and abusing the marrowwalk bug then you can dump some points into bone armor. If you are, then therres not much point since only a few times will your armor collapse before you have time to put it back up.

6. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

Get some Revive meatshields. Even with only 1 point in skeleton mastery they should be very sturdy. And Corpse Explosion is a wonderfull skill:)

I don't know about the poison damage, but if you're going to use Poison Nova it won't matter much anyway. IF you don't get answers here try the Necromancer forum, the moderator Mad Mantis knows quite a lot about poison damage.

I think the Clay golem is the best golem of them all, he is very cheap to cast so you can position him where he is needed the most, and his slow effect is invaluable.

7. Nightfire05

Thanks. I read the guide before, but I'll go back and take another look at it to clear up any questions I think I might have left.

8. HBeachBabe

HBeachBabe IncGamers Member

poison damage is normally computed by adding the damage rates of all sources and averaging the time. this applies to all sources such as charms, poison damage on weapons, jewels and emeralds. However, PDagger works differently. with the PDagger skill, you add the damage rate of all sources including PDagger as you would normally but you don't average PDagger time. instead you average all other sources time and add it to the PDagger time. This can allow for huge amounts of poison damage.

However. non of this matters for PNova. the only things that increase PNova damage are synergies and items that add a % to poison damage (also items that lower poison resistance)

9. Nightfire05

Thanks, HBeachBabe! That clarifies the second half of my question perfectly.

10. sunbearie

sunbearie IncGamers Member

I was of the understanding the same thing applies to PExplosion as well.

11. bill_n_opus

bill_n_opus IncGamers Member

Keep in mind that Necrochild did lots of testing and ranked the factors involving poison effectiveness ... - poison resistance is #1. See the sticky in the Necro Forum.

Thus, if you can find it, a Death's Web is your number one priority to enhance your damage. Good luck. I've been running Pindle since the beginning of time and haven't found one yet.

IIRC, next is + to poison damage and then +skills.

A fully decked out poisonmancer (pnova anyways) with all the gear (DWeb, Bramble, Poison Facets ... is a very powerful char.

12. HBeachBabe

HBeachBabe IncGamers Member

yes, but what venomancer uses PExplosion over PNova?