poison question

gont

Diabloii.Net Member
poison question

If I have 2 100dmg poison charms. And they both do 100dmg over 5 seconds.

Will they do 200dmg over 5 seconds. Or 200dmg over 10 seconds?

funpop

Diabloii.Net Member
200 for 5

the game picks the shortest duration on your charms/skills and let the poison run that duration..

example:

290 in 10 seconds
100 in 5 seconds:

makes 245 in 5 seconds

correct me if i am wrong

masakerr

Diabloii.Net Member
I do believe you are correct, that's why you want as much as possible to make any real damage in hell.

zeskelnec

Diabloii.Net Member
I guess this is the Sum of psn dmg with the average time which is counted.

So 390 psn dmg/ sec during 7.48 sec
Total 2916 psn Dmg

But if you add a 6psn 2 sec, your average will go down to 5.64 sec, your dmg will increase to 396 resulting in
390 psn dmg for 5.64 sec seems to be higher psn dmg on a shorter period... well it is a total of 2232 psn dmg..... so what is best ? hum?

To pursue on this, Venom (assassin Skill) cut down all duration to 0.4 sec.
It means that 390 psn /sec becomes 156 psn dmg. All sources of psn becomes then near useless in comparison with the dmg provided by Venom itself.

Frankeinstein

Diabloii.Net Member

Total 2916 psn Dmg

But if you add a 6psn 2 sec, your average will go down to 5.64 sec, your dmg will increase to 396 resulting in
390 psn dmg for 5.64 sec seems to be higher psn dmg on a shorter period... well it is a total of 2232 psn dmg..... so what is best ? hum?

It means that 390 psn /sec becomes 156 psn dmg. All sources of psn becomes then near useless in comparison with the dmg provided by Venom itself.

Thats why assys do not use psn charms. Facets & trangs gloves are the two best ways of upping the psn dmg (besides shadow GC's)

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator

Total 2916 psn Dmg

The game actually calculates the average damage per second and applies it over the average of durations.

In your example, the average damage per second is 390/7.48+6/2=55.14 per second over (7.48+2)/2=4.74 seconds, i.e. a total of 261 damage over 4.74 seconds.

The calculation is different for a single charm with a poison prefix and a poison suffix. In that case, the sum of damage per second is dealt over the sum of the durations, not over the average duration. However, the resulting poison effect gets combined with other poison charms as mentioned above.

You cannot apply damage from a poison charm/item multiple times, but the timer gets reset again. When assuming that you are hitting the enemy often enough to keep them poisoned all the time and you do the poisoning to cause damage, only the poison damage per second matters.

However, poison damage from charms is rather low. If you want to get the enemy poisoned just to prevent regeneration, get a charm with a long duration, like one with two poison affixes (see above).

To be precise, the calculations are done on a per frame base and there is a difference because of rounding, but that difference isn't really great.

Silent Shaddow

Diabloii.Net Member
erm pwned by krischan

altho i was under the impression that the game shortened the duration to the shortest length and went from there :cry:

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator
I was just talking about poison charms get combined and how charms with 2 poison affixes work, but I don't know how different poison sources combine. I might also be wrong with respect to poison charms. However, I cannot check that calculator right now, as I'm currently at work.