Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Poison Nova Question

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by ddny, May 1, 2005.

1. ddny

ddny IncGamers Member

Poison Nova Question

I have maxed all my bone skills for my necro (teeth, spear, spirit, bone wall, and bone prison).

I have a few points left that are not used. I was thinking of placing them into the poison tree (dagger, explosion, and nova).

How much damage could I do with my poison nova (including synergies) if I had level 20 dagger, explosion, and nova?

Is it worth it? Could I do some decent damage in duels?

2. Harleyquin

Harleyquin IncGamers Member

The other experts will be here shortly, but I use a poisonmancer and I know for a fact that without good equipment and heavy investment in the skills the poison damage you do will only be useful as a sort of prevent monster heal. I take it you've spent 100 points in your bone skills to max them all so for the other 10 points you might want to invest in curses.

3. Epsilon Eyez

Epsilon Eyez IncGamers Member

Since it seems you have maxed out the bone skills, I don't think doing poison skills would be the best choice. Curses are useful, and if you already have a Golem then putting more points wouldn't be so bad either.

4. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

With that many points spent, you cant possibly max all poison spells. The maximum number of skill points at lvl99 with all quests done is 110...

Now, assuming you want to duel with the poison skills, you must keep in mind that the nova will not do good damage to opponents with 75%psn res.
    For poison nova to work well in duels, you must equip your character for it, which means use equipment that gives -to enemy poison resist.
    If you play a bonenecro, i bet you havent such items equipped, thus making it hard to do any damage.

The damage you will do with a fully synergized nova (no +skills) is 1781-1953.
    This may not look much, and in fact, it isnt much. To have it work well in duels you must get +skills (well, bone and poison are the same skill tree, so you might get those), but also -resists (and +%damage).
    If you want to have an effective poison dueller, there is no real other opinion than having all poison skills maxed.
    If you use poison nova with a character that has maxed bone skills, you will merely tickle them. Only setback for them is that their character will look green and ugly for two seconds.

Suggestions: If you dont have a point in Clay golem, get it. Its very useful in many situations, as a tank etc.
    I usually also get a point in golem mastery and summon resists, just for having the tank last longer.
    After that, my suggestion is that you put the rest in curses, which one depending on how you play. Decrep is always useful, since it slows monsters down.
    If you want to have a more useful char in pvm, i suggest pumping points into corpse explosion. There is nothing that can clean a room up as maxed corpse explosion and monsters with amp damage cast upon them. (at least no necro can do it faster, as long as they get the first two corpses down)

Enjoy! :thumbsup:

5. ddny

ddny IncGamers Member

Let's say that I can get level 20 poison dagger, level 20 poison explosion, and level 20 poison nova (using my 10 grand charms and plus skill items)

If I use my trang gloves (plus 25 % poison skill damage) and use poison facets for my weapon, helmet, and shield (possible plus 15 % poison skill damage and -15 resist), do you then think the poison nova damage will have some impact?

Thanks

6. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

Not that much anyway. You must remember that synergy bonuses only apply from hard points invested in a skill. That is, if you have one point in a synergy skill, and then get +19 from items, it will still only give synergy bonus from that ONE point that you actually clicked in it.
    This means your nova will not be synergized at all (almost), and thus not making any real damage. You probably wont even break the 1k barrier even with items :(
    Besides, for really effective nova, the best way is the "Deaths Web" Unearthed wand, with it's:
    +2necro
    +(1-2) psn/boneskills
    -(40-50%) to enemy poison resistance.

Anyhow. There is no real use for poison skills with a char that only has ~20 points left to spare. You need those 60 points invested in order for it to be really effective. Sorry ;)
    I do recommend you to build a pure poisonmancer though. Its great fun to play :D:D

7. sad

sad IncGamers Member

one of the bone guides a while back advocated one point in dagger, explosion, and nova as a solution to dealing with magic immunes. I don't remember which guide it was, but I don't believe its stickied and it was written in small font.

I remember that it was called the Boneshadow. You can probably search for it or someone will give you a link to it.

8. Gix

Gix IncGamers Member

Go to google.com, type in chippydip, enter the website, use the skill calculator. I can't give you the link on the forums cuz its banned. But i sure as hell can tell you about it (i hope).

9. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

You can still tell people about it. PM's might even be a better idea. A shame that Chippydip put his calc on that site.

10. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

Maxing pdagger and using an eth runed Fleshripper (on swith or in stash or whatever) is the only viable source of additional damage I can think of coming out of such a small poison investment, even then most of the damage will be coming from the dagger's OW/CB + phys dmg (coupled with amp or lifetap for leachy goodness). Dagger would only be maxed for the AR bonus.