Poison Nova Necro - One of the fastest Pit Runners?

MelFrank

Diabloii.Net Member
JoJeck said:
The -% poison resist items like Death's Web and facets are most useful when you want to kill monsters with very high resitances and particularly those poison immunes that you can break using LR. Breaking the immunity effectively takes LR out of the equation and leaves you with a monster that is 99% to 90% poison resistant. Reducing the remaining high resistance further is the only way to use poison to kill these.
Totally agree, my Poison Nova Necromancer has -84% enemy poison resist without Lower Resist added into the equation.

And Paladin's Conviction aura has no effect on poison :surprise:
It sure does, in that it lowers monsters resistance to it.

Mel

Cantos

The Order of Dii Guild Member
Hi

I have a poison nova oriented pit runner that I have been using for a few months now i guess. He's pretty good, but I might rebuild sometime because I made some mistakes.

Shako(PTopaz)
Wizardspike
Enigma
Rhyme Gargoyle head with +3 nova (it's superior, so bad repair, and not the best block)
Trang Gloves
Tal Rasha Belt
2 sojs
Tancred boots + ammy
Problems:

Spike makes me sort of uncomfortable. It's for mana and resists I guess, but no MF annoys me. I have a +3 PNova White, but i dont use that, because lack of mana annoys me.

Tancred combo is ok, but I want to find a +skills amulet with mf, then I can use War Traveller

I started mfing with a Rhyme Heater, so my block got messed up when i changed shields. I like having 75% block, it helps with practically all the enemies except shamans who will shoot fireballs at you.

Other problem - I got a Defiance Merc, and I'm not sure that's very good.

Skills - after nova and its synergies, I wondered what to do next. When I started pit running I was about lvl 70 and didnt have the enigma. I had all sorts of headaches keeping my merc alive. So I went for Bone wall for protection of me and my merc. After I got that maxed, I got a point into revives and wow did that ever make things easier. I far fewer hits now because Im surrounded by minions, I wish I had done that earlier.

If I rebuilt, I would get a might merc, and make my necromancer a sort of poison/summoner hybrid. The Revives do noticeable damage now, with Might I guess I would get through the skeletons (poison resist!) faster.

Havent got any -poison res items at all, havent even thought of using any. Maybe I should try it out. I'm doing 4700ish PNova damage with that setup and one P&B charm.

Anyway, there are some ideas for people considering a new pitrunner.

JoJeck

Diabloii.Net Member
JoJeck said:
And Paladin's Conviction aura has no effect on poison :surprise:
MelFrank said:
It sure does, in that it lowers monsters resistance to it.

Mel
:innocent: Sorry to dissapoint but have you actually tried this? ... or just look at your Necro's resistances when you next meet a boss with the Conviction aura.

Despite the misleading information on Arreat Summit, Conviction only works on the 3 elemental resistances and Poison is unaffected. Sad but true.

Decker

Diabloii.Net Member
Alright, well I just got my Necro to level 76 and it seems to be working fairly well. I've only put enough points in in dex to get a 59% block right now...Apparently Trang's helm is only 60%, which kind of sucks; oh well, the -resists should be worth it when I get upwards of 1000 HP...Might think about investing in CTA, even a low level one, as well since myself and my merc seem to like dying. Oh yeah, I'm doing about 4.7-5k poison dmg over two seconds.

I put a single point in almonst all the summoning skill tree. Even with 3k HP, the golem seems to be quite a crappy low-lasting tank. Hopefully once my Merc levels up some more, he'll tank more. Are revives decent tanks? The skeles, at level 9 after the bonuses, only have around 250 hp. Hmmm...Might consider getting a point in fire golem too, should I run into DClone :)

Anyway, this build is very fun. I'm in the habit of casting low resist on everything, despite having -46% and -25% Poison Resists already from Death's Web and part of Trang' set.

Also, are +10% FCR rings worth getting? Obviously I don't need a Ravenfrost, already have Cannot Be Frozen mod in Trang Belt. Only other problems I seem to be having are mana and resists the odd time I run outside of pit. Using near-base energy [made the mistake of adding 10 energy instead of vitality when I was tired ;o]. Also, are -5/+5 Poison facets worth using [considering the only + to % I get are in Trang gloves]? I'd only be able to use two of these as my armor is a runeword and I should probably keep the ptopaz in my helmet.

[/rant]

Equipment at the moment, if you care:

Archon Enigma
1 skill, -46% Death's Web
Two really crappy rare rings...both with plus to mana, got from Akara :)
22% Mara's...Might think about getting a more Necro-suited ammy with FCR
Ptopaz'd Shako
47% Travs, using Marrowwalks before each game for bugged Bone Shield.
Trang Gloves/Belt/Shield

MelFrank

Diabloii.Net Member
JoJeck said:
Despite the misleading information on Arreat Summit, Conviction only works on the 3 elemental resistances and Poison is unaffected. Sad but true.
You learn something new every day I guess. I stand corrected!

Mel

JoJeck

Diabloii.Net Member
MelFrank said:
You learn something new every day I guess. I stand corrected!

Mel
No problem, the only reason I knew was that someone kindly corrected my self same mistake about conviction breaking Poison Immunity. So I think you are in good company :lol: I'm glad to be of service.