Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Poison Nova Necro - One of the fastest Pit Runners?

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Decker, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Decker

Decker IncGamers Member

Poison Nova Necro - One of the fastest Pit Runners?

As the topic implies, I'm considering creating a posion necromancer that is created mainly for running The Pit. I have a strafezon, and meteorb; both get boring and seem slow compared to a necro I saw the other day dashing through with teleprot, killing everything in very little time.

Can someone who has tried this build let me know how it works?
    My equipment is fairly good, other than the lack of Death Web. Without the Death Web, is it pointless? If it's that much better with the Death's Web, and the runs are as fast or faster than Sorc/Strafezon, I might go and buy myself a mediocre one. I also realize my MF wouldn't be too great and that my setup is probably not that great, suggestions? This is ladder, by the way.

Equ:
    Shako [topaz or um]
    SS/Homunc
    Archon Enigma
    Raven
    Rare Ring i can probably trade for
    War Travs [47%]
    Trang Gloves...?
    Mara's Ammy
    Whatever wand...I think I have a Blackhand and could make a white, whichever's a better alternative.
    And for belt, I have absolutely no idea. Maybe upgraded Goldwrap or trang's.

2. Siguesigue

Siguesigue IncGamers Member

This is Sigus's Pit runner on ladder :) Or was.

Amazing results, to be fair, nothing is immune and nothing lasts very long :)

3. Decker

Decker IncGamers Member

What do you mean it was your pit runner? You got a guide somewhere, heh?

4. Siguesigue

No, God no, it was just straight forward stuff.

20 PN, 20 PD, 20 PE, some into Bonewall, spirit, spear, etc, and rammed on some MF gear. Throw a curse at them, let the PN kill them. Simple enough.

5. Decker

Decker IncGamers Member

Probably a dumb question, but does Lower Resist work for poison? And I imagine that an Act 2 Holy Freeze merc is the ideal?

6. HarbingersOfSouls

HarbingersOfSouls IncGamers Member

yes it works for poison...either HF or Might will work.

I can clean out both levels of pit in about 5 minutes, I like killing everything though.

HoSv2

7. MelFrank

MelFrank IncGamers Member

Poison Nova Necro's are one of the most item dependant characters out there.
    The two fundamental assets a PN Necro needs to kill quickly are +% poison damage and -% enemy poison resist.
    You could certainly kill things with that gear, but it would be slow, especially against mobs with high poison resist and of course immunes.
    At a minimum you would want three pieces of the Trang-oul set, the gloves, wing, and probably the belt.
    This provides +25% poison skills damage and -25% enemy poison resist.
    Adding a Death's Web would boost damage considerably.
    Like I said, it's really just a matter of how fast you want mobs to drop.
    Here's one quick example. Hell difficulty Fallen, 75% poison resistant, slvl15 Lower Resist (-60%), slvl30 PN with max syneregies:

LR only - 1563/sec Poison damage
    LR + Trang glove, wing, belt: 2527/sec Poison damage
    LR + above + 50% Death's Web: 3676/sec Poison damage

Against normal mobs in the Pit it might not be such a big deal, but against Minions (2.75x life), Champions (3x life) and Uniques (4.25x life) it makes a significant difference, since those are the monsters that drop the best.
    It's even more important in areas like the WSK where Champions can have 45K hitpoints.

Mel

8. Decker

Decker IncGamers Member

Thanks, Mel. I'll look into getting Death's Web...looks pretty expensive, is even a bottom of the line one significantly better than other wands? Got a Zod I've been looking to get rid of, maybe I can get one of those for it.

9. Decker

Decker IncGamers Member

Alright, I got myself a Death's Web. Not the best, but the stats are 8 mana/kill, 10 life/kill, 1 to PB skills and -46% Poison Resists. I think I got a pretty good deal for it, only traded a relatively high Schaeffer's :)

Also got myself a Wing, Troll Belt and the gloves. Thanks again for the advice, once I get past this gruesome initial leveling till 24, should be fun.

10. Kyo

Kyo IncGamers Member

Sigues - Out of the 3 poison spells which one do u use most to help crowd control? You a PE or PN kinda player?

PE is powerful but radius can be pants :(

11. Dazuni

Dazuni IncGamers Member

Pe. nice, sniff the gas.. :D

12. JoJeck

JoJeck IncGamers Member

You have no problems in the Pit with that gear. I use a Veno-skellimancer for that run and and only have 20 PD, 20 PN and 2 in PE and they all drop in 2 novas and the skellies can hold them off for that long. Even with a merc, a golem and 9 skellies I do 95% of the killing at least.

Originally you wrote.
    Actually I've found that in the pit my Veno-skellimancer can substitute a Gull dagger for my Death Web for the extra 100% mf and he clears the Pit a bit slower ... takes maybe a minute longer. Only the Bone Warriors have any poison resistance (75%) and I can use LR on them and since I'm still using the TO partial set, that is enough for an effective P Nova. Plus I like to let my skellies have something to do otherwise they might get bored :flip:

13. Decker

Decker IncGamers Member

Quck question:

Bramble or Enigma? The 25-50% extra Poison Damage on top of the stuff that comes from Trang gloves and whatnot might help. Then again, with Bramble you can't teleport. Does the speed of the killing with Bramble make up for the time it takes to walk over teleport...Suppose I could also just use Enigma or a Naj Staff/Tele Ammy to teleport, and then switch off. Suggestions?

Oh, and if I do trade for a Bramble...it probably would be around 37-45% extra pois

14. JCX

JCX IncGamers Member

Poison makes a great pit runner. Full poison skill synergies and three Trangs (gogo facet in the wing) are more than enough to take out the monsters there. As was mentioned, the only "slow dying" monsters are the skellies in the pit, but with a merc, some skellies of your own and CE they are no worry.

Which realm did you get Death's web for a Schaeffer's, I'd gladly do that. On west ladder I can't seem to find either bramble or death's web. :(

15. Decker

Decker IncGamers Member

I did it on USWest ladder. Neither of us knew the value of the Death's Web, though now I believe I got a rather nice deal...Got a Trang Belt for merely a Lum rune [they usually go for Pul] from a guy too. If you're looking for specific stuff, I strongly recommend the trade forums on B.net site over any other forum or trade channels in game. Good people there and you can usually score fair trades.

16. JCX

JCX IncGamers Member

Thx for the info. I think you got a good deal, but one thing ot consider is the Schaeffer's is probably a bit more widely useable than the Death's Web. Have you dropped a facet in yet? :)

One question about -resists. Isn't it capped at -100%? With Trang's and death's web you are almost there, add a few facets and you'll be right near -100%. At this point, would lower resist curse be not so helpful?

17. MelFrank

MelFrank IncGamers Member

Yes, enemy resistance is capped -100%. However, there are a LOT of monsters that have poison resistance. The more that you can maintain negative poison resist on the better.
    Idealy it would be nice to keep them all at -100%, but without a Conviction Paladin around its not practical. :)

Mel

18. JoJeck

JoJeck IncGamers Member

It is easy to kill monsters with low resistance to poison with high power PN. I often don't even bother to use LR against them and just spam another PN and they go down.

The -% poison resist items like Death's Web and facets are most useful when you want to kill monsters with very high resitances and particularly those poison immunes that you can break using LR. Breaking the immunity effectively takes LR out of the equation and leaves you with a monster that is 99% to 90% poison resistant. Reducing the remaining high resistance further is the only way to use poison to kill these.

And Paladin's Conviction aura has no effect on poison :surprise:

19. Siguesigue

Depends where I am and who I'm fighting. I normally stick to PN if I have room to breathe, but in packed situations, go for PE. Shenk is a good example.

20. Decker

Decker IncGamers Member

Soo...Bramble or Enigma?