Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Poison Nova necro... help me spend my points!

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by xxnothing, Aug 28, 2010.

1. xxnothing

xxnothing IncGamers Member

Poison Nova necro... help me spend my points!

So this is my first PNova necromancer build. I'm having a hard time spending my "extra" points. Some general info:
    I have fairly good gear thanks to a couple of years of playing a MF sorc most of the time. He's got the three-piece Trang's, a pretty good "White" wand, all that usual. On switch I'm using an Arm of King Leoric and Boneflame for summoning duties. With plus skills on the summoning switch I'm at...

14 - Summon Skeleton
    14 - Skeleton Mastery
    11 - Summon Resist
    10 - Clay Golem
    10 - Golem Mastery

The rest is standard stuff... 1 point in all curses, a point in Corpse Explosion (slvl12 with plus skills on my White switch), and maxed on all poison skills.

My main skills and synergies are full up, so what to do with the rest of the points? I currently have 7 unspent points and no idea where to put them. Should I go for stronger skeletons (Summon Skeleton or Skeleton Mastery or Summon Resist)? Get an Iron Golem? More points in CE for bigger radius? More points in Lower Resist for bigger radius (I think that would be a waste)?

I have a surplus of interesting items that might make for fun Iron Golems, such as Bonesnap, Pompeii's Wrath, etc. So I'm leaning towards getting IG and beefing it up a bit. But I also think that stronger Skellies would be more "useful" as I go. I'm just entering Act 4 Hell now, at clvl78.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I've read all the guides and a ton of Pat threads. I just can't make up my mind, so I'm looking for conversation to sway me...

Thanks! :thumbup:

n0thing

2. Chairnick

Chairnick IncGamers Member

Re: Poison Nova necro... help me spend my points!

Max CE. Skellies are a waste of points in my opinion, they're just too weak and if you play on higher /p levels, they'll crumble under 1 hit. Respec and put points in golem mastery for high life IG or in bone armor synergies. After maxing CE that is.

3. Fabian

Fabian IncGamers Member

Chairnick has the one right, imo.

4. dryzalizer

dryzalizer IncGamers Member

I maxed skeleton mastery myself, skeletons stayed up well on /players 8 through the entire game with full Trang's Set and a DWeb. Once that was maxed, I think I topped out at 7 skeletons.

5. frozzzen

frozzzen IncGamers Member

Max CE is sure thing. It will increase your overall dmg output.
    One point Revive is great for having meat shield and you don't need to invest more then one point here.
    Revives > Skellies as they need some investment to be usable.
    1 point in Bone armor can also be nice if you have lots of +skills but it gets annoying to recast it often.
    IG is powerful enough as it is. I'd be more tempted to throw rest in Lower resist curse for radius and those last extra bits of -resist.

6. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

I pumped a Bone Armour synergy myself, but if I was playing softcore I'd definitely go for CE. I tried a version with skele's but didn't like it in truth, they are pretty weak and an unreliable meat shield if you play aggressively.

7. tavaritz

tavaritz Banned

Get Fire Golem. It's nice scout to cast as it works like an attracted monster.

8. omgwtfbbqpwned

omgwtfbbqpwned IncGamers Member

I like your IG idea, but it might not be as tanky as you might hope, even with a skeleton army support. I'd go CE or RS, or even IG if you're not after efficiency.

9. xxnothing

xxnothing IncGamers Member

Thanks for the ideas. I know with the respec option in 1.13 it's not critical to "get it right the first time"... :)
    I do play pretty aggressively. I finally made my first ever Enigma, so I'm blasting around like a madman. Fun build and he rocks the Pits.
    I think for now I want to try out Iron Golem, just to see how it goes. I'll also try a point in Revive. If either of those seems fun I might respec the skellies out of it.

10. Eric Xanthu

Eric Xanthu IncGamers Member

The skeleton problem is the opposite of what Chairnick said. They have more hp on higher player setting. They decline in offensive power as enemy hp goes up and they decline in defensive power as player setting goes down.

Since you are providing PLENTY of offense with Pnova, the skeletons work great on p8 at slowing down the oncoming horde and locking them up while you kill them in 1-2 novas(CS for example). They work fine on p1 because they can kill pretty nicely and your Pnova drops enemies much, much faster than they can kill your skellies. On p1 though you really only need them to take archer fire off of you. If you don't run ranged-enemy areas and you play on p1, you don't really need them.

11. Chairnick

You sure about that? I was under the impression that HP is fixed at summoning.

12. scrcrw

scrcrw IncGamers Member

I've very much liked 1pt Revive (+x from items) on my Poisonmancer with Enigma and 3-piece Trangs. Having a few meat shields around helps keeping the Insight IG alive in sticky situations and prevents block lock.

13. Eric Xanthu

Sorry, I should clarify: hp of skeletons depends on player setting at the time of summoning. I didn't mean to imply that you can slide the p setting around and alter your skeletons.

14. Chairnick

Hmm, I never noticed that HP figures for skeletons stated in skills change when you change /p level. Or perhaps that isn't shown?
    So basically you could change to p8, raise an army, drop to p1 and have super buffed skeletons?

EDIT: You sure you didn't mix it up with NM/Hell scaling? Because I can't seem to find any page that states that HP of skeletons scale with /p levels. :)

15. dryzalizer

dryzalizer IncGamers Member

I don't recall reading that before either, but it would explain why my /players 8 playthrough went so easy and why I'm a big fan of the skellies (w/max SM of course)

16. Eric Xanthu

No proof except my own experience. It might be in a Nightfish thread somewhere, too. Skeletons are decently durable on p1 but rarely, if ever, die on p8.

Good question on dropping p level. I'm not sure.

17. Serdash

Serdash IncGamers Member

Respec, max teeth, max CE, bite them to death and then use their dead bodies as your weapon. Kinda like this guy used to.

18. Jaedhann

Jaedhann IncGamers Member

If you play on P1 most of the time, go bonearmor or max CE. P8 go for skellies. I tried 4 different pits-poison-mancers and stuck with skellies. Wonderfull meatshields and very durable.