Poison(noDWeb) vs Fishy necro for SP area MF?

wcparker

Diabloii.Net Member
Necromancer is my favorite character and I've managed to gear one out reasonably well for some area magic finding. I am debating whether to run him as a Fishymancer (summons) or a Poison necro. I'm playing single player and my primary focus is high-end uniques, but I am also interested in runes and charms so higher player count is nice but not required. My gear is as follows:

Helm: Shako PTopaz
Amulet: Mara's
Weapon: Beast OR HoTo (no Death's Web is the reason I'm making this post)
Shield: Spirit (35FCR)
Switch: CTA+Spirit
Body: Enigma
Rings: Nagels OR one and one 10%FCR/MF/res
Gloves: Trang's
Belt: Arachnid
Boots: War Travs

Merc:
Helm: Andy's Ral
Weapon: Infinity
Armor: Fortitude

Iron Golem: Insight

Inventory: Gheed's, MF charms. Considering switching to PlugY and getting Torch/Anni

Summoner advantages: Merc gets Fanaticism and Amp Damage, which helps with first corpse. Can deal with almost all immunes, so can farm any area efficiently. More spare points for Bone Armor and no need for skillers. Only need one curse (Amp damage). I've heard that Poisonmancer is better off ignoring Lower Resist, but I'm not sure if that works out without Death's Web.
With this character I either start in the pits and summon skeletons after the first pack, or go to the Pindle portal and run A5 superuniques. I run pits and ancient tunnels. Seems like I could also add chaos to this run but I haven't been doing it.

Poison advantages: No need to collect an army each run, making single area runs more viable. 125% FCR breakpoint for faster teleporting and CE (or I could drop Spirit and either Shako or Arachnid's for 3 piece Trangs). Better resists from HoTo. Poison Nova does more damage than skeletons and works on the whole pack, but without Death's Web I'm not sure if it's enough to justify the disadvantages relative to the summoner. My understanding is that fully geared the Poison necro is one of the best P7 pit farmers, and can also run Travincal.
With this character I have just been running straight pits, which has less downtime between runs. I might add travincal or chaos to that for variety and runes/facets.

I've copied my character and tested the poison variant, but I'm not experienced enough at area farming to judge which is better. Is either one a clear winner? Are any of these pros and cons wrong, or do you have others? Thanks!

Last edited:

Haywire

Diabloii.Net Member
Necromancer is my favorite character and I've managed to gear one out reasonably well for some area magic finding. I am debating whether to run him as a Fishymancer (summons) or a Poison necro. I'm playing single player and my primary focus is high-end uniques, but I am also interested in runes and charms so higher player count is nice but not required. My gear is as follows:

Merc:

Inventory: Gheed's, MF charms. Considering switching to PlugY and getting Torch/Anni

Summoner advantages: Merc gets Fanaticism and Amp Damage, which helps with first corpse. Can deal with almost all immunes, so can farm any area efficiently. More spare points for Bone Armor and no need for skillers. Only need one curse (Amp damage). I've heard that Poisonmancer is better off ignoring Lower Resist, but I'm not sure if that works out without Death's Web.
With this character I either start in the pits and summon skeletons after the first pack, or go to the Pindle portal and run A5 superuniques. I run pits and ancient tunnels. Seems like I could also add chaos to this run but I haven't been doing it.

Poison advantages: No need to collect an army each run, making single area runs more viable. 125% FCR breakpoint for faster teleporting and CE (or I could drop Spirit and either Shako or Arachnid's for 3 piece Trangs). Better resists from HoTo. Poison Nova does more damage than skeletons and works on the whole pack, but without Death's Web I'm not sure if it's enough to justify the disadvantages relative to the summoner. My understanding is that fully geared the Poison necro is one of the best P7 pit farmers, and can also run Travincal.
With this character I have just been running straight pits, which has less downtime between runs. I might add travincal or chaos to that for variety and runes/facets.

I've copied my character and tested the poison variant, but I'm not experienced enough at area farming to judge which is better. Is either one a clear winner? Are any of these pros and cons wrong, or do you have others? Thanks!

Merc:

Hmm. I fear plugy is frowned upon here. You don't need torch and anni with your gear.

wcparker

Diabloii.Net Member
Hmm. I fear plugy is frowned upon here. You don't need torch and anni with your gear.
I thought that was only a SPF rule, which is one reason I posted here. I don't trade or play with anyone else. I can remove that from my gear list if it's preferred, I just wanted to give a full picture.

Namtar

Diabloii.Net Member
Yeah, this ain't the SPF. I think back when more people frequented just the Strategy discussion boards, it wasn't as likely to come up. Probably most of the active members these days are SPF people. Probably a moot point. There's nothing particularly important about Torch or Anni for a poison necro. You just get more general good stuff. You probably use the same overall equipment with or without those charms, and just have to account for making up resistances, investing more points in dexterity if you're going max block, etc. Your necro becomes slightly crappier without those charms, but nothing fundamental changes.

Death's Web does make clearing mobs a lot faster, especially in areas where you've broken poison immunities with Lower Resist. But it's not really necessary. HotO is a good weapon. But you'd want to swap out a couple more items for Trang-Oul's set items. I do the shield and the belt.

With the right gear, poison is, on average, much faster at making corpses for CE chains than skeletons. By a lot.

wcparker

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks Namtar. Right now my belt and shield are devoted to FCR, but I will swap them out and compare.