Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Poison: Necro VS Amazon VS Druid

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Kitriara, Mar 18, 2004.

1. Kitriara

Kitriara IncGamers Member

Poison: Necro VS Amazon VS Druid

I always hear people talking about the various poison builds possible. These would be...

1) Necromancer with Dagger/Explosion/Nova
    2) Amazon with Poison/Plague
    3) Druid with Rabies/Creeper

Now, we all know that using Poison Javelin or Poison Creeper are entirely useless (due to insanely high duration and insanely low damage, respectively). I calculated the damages per second for all of the other skills, assuming you have the main skill at level 30 and all synergies at level 20 (max). This doesnt take into account Lower Resist, Facets, Trang's Gloves or whatnot... just the raw numbers.

Druid
    Rabies
    783.365 per second

Amazon
    Plague Jav
    1478.869 per second

Necromancer
    Dagger
    929.852 per second

Explosion
    1815.588 per second

Nova
    1839.5 per second

The amazon actually gets fairly close to the Necromancer in terms of damage. However, the fact that the Necromancer natively has Lower Resist makes him, unsurprisingly, the hands-down poison master. I just thought some people may benefit from having a look at the numbers.

FYI, a level 7 Lower Resist (51%) and Trangs Gloves (+25%) would come out to:

Nova with Trangs: 1839.5 x .25 = 459.875 so 2299.375 total
    Now include LR: 2299.375 x .51 = 1172.681 so 3472.056 total

Kinda hard to argue with that!

(Correct me someone if my math is wrong)

2. kryo

kryo IncGamers Member

Lv7 Lower Resist will only do 51% more damage if the monster has no Poison Resist. On monsters that do have innate poison resistance (which, if I'm not mistaken is a lot of them), the effect of LR would be even more profound. For example, you only get a 51% boost if the monster has no resistance, but if it has ~50% Poison Resistance then LR would essentially double your damage (The monster would halve your damage to start, but with lower resistance it wouldn't get halved, so you effectively do double the damage you normally would).

Thus the Necro is even better with poison. This is also a good reason for other classes that depend on poison to keep a wand with LR charges handy for emergencies.

One last thing. You forgot to run the numbers for an Assassin using Venom ;)

3. royalesse

royalesse IncGamers Member

If you're going to do Trang's you should probably include Death's web which excludes the Amazon (since she needs a Jav) and makes the Druid somewhat impractical (since the druid needs good weapon speed).

Kryo makes a good point about the Assasin. Also, since the Assasin has so many ways to apply the poison she can use Death's web as well.

4. weregamer

weregamer IncGamers Member

That's not entirely a joke. You just have to compute the dmg/sec based on the swing rate of the assassin. The assassin will be getting some number of .4 sec Venom bursts per second. Assassins are fast with claws, and can easily get fast enough to make the Venom damage continuous. In fact, to maximize poison damage you need to arrange that your swing rate coincides with the venom duration of .4 sec. That happens at only 10 frames, which is a ludicrously slow attack by Assassin standards - if I can trust the calculator at http://diablo2.ingame.de/tips/calcs/weaponspeed.php?lang=english, even without any Burst of Speed that only takes 50% IAS. For real blendermatic power, you'd want to be swinging so fast that you get an extra hit in and still hit again just as the Venom wears off, which is 5 frames. That calculator doesn't go low enough, but 5 frames seems reachable.

The thing the assassin loses is the ability to back off and wait for the monster to die, because she has to keep hitting to keep the damage going.

5. MatMan

MatMan IncGamers Member

Actually, I've been eyeballing venom since 1.10 came out. Has someone already run the numbers on that? I'll poke around the Assy board & see. Haha I just realized I typed "poke around the assy." Haha

6. royalesse

royalesse IncGamers Member

You can always plug in numbers from Chippy dip's skill calculator:
    http://66.98.154.13/Skills.html

What I meant by various ways of apply poison is through the blade traps or kicks. So she doesn't even need a decent weapon to do damage. Like the druid or the zon.