Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Poison Necro - Now what?

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by hairyspheers, Feb 17, 2004.

1. hairyspheers

hairyspheers IncGamers Member

Poison Necro - Now what?

I have a summon necro with all curse, that is now on lvl 78 and wanted to try something new. I wanted to build a nerco that has no minons but rules. Lots of people climb the bone tree, so I climbed the poison one. I created my character PURE-pOisOn on east realm D2Classic ladder on friday night. Today he is on lvl 50 and doing very well. These are his stats:
    Str: 75
    Dex: 100
    Life: As much as I can get around 370 now
    Mana: Base

Poison Dagger: 12
    Poison Explosion: 17
    Poison Nova: 20

I will finishing maxing the rest of the poison skills as I lvl. Once I am done with that I am planing on building up lower resist for max damage. Would that be a good thing or just a waist of points? What some good forms of crowd control for this type of build (remember no minons)?

2. HarbingersOfSkulls

HarbingersOfSkulls IncGamers Member

You can can get LR to 60%, with +skills...though it might not be worth it really because of the 1% added at higher levels of it. I just kept mine at 1 point into it(fora 57%).

As for going minionless, that would really leave you with Curses really to mess with....I would suggest either DV or Decrepity to work on.

HoS

3. hairyspheers

Does lower Resis actually make a big difference enough difference in the killing speed or is it minimal?

4. bleuciel

bleuciel IncGamers Member

Well from my limited experience, it seem to improve the killing speed, and of course it really help to be able to break those pesky poison immunity...
    :D

5. SoulTaker

SoulTaker IncGamers Member

i know ur going minionless but a golem is always a friend
    =P

one golem,
    one summenon reists
    one golem mastery,

thats 3 pnts and it adds a whirl of diffrence...

6. BipolarTemp

BipolarTemp IncGamers Member

About lower resist breaking poison immunity, unfortunately, this doesn't work. It does remove the 100% or higher poison resist but it does not disable the "poison duration=0" flag on the monster so they techincally can take damage from poison but cannot be poisoned so it's irrelevant. But the curse is still worthwhile for poison resistant enemies; namely most undead.

7. amphreded

amphreded IncGamers Member

i agree. i'm on lvl72 now and max every poison skills. ONE point in Clay Golem helps me tremendously: slowwww enemies. i always use lower resist so the fact that i dont use decripify (except on end bosses) is substituted by clay golem. and he's pretty tough too, with +skills, he's only lvl9 and doesnt die that much (my HF merc dies more often than my golem).
    i plan to max CE for radius though, but still thinking about it.

8. spiderman2k9

spiderman2k9 Banned

wouldn't a fire golem be more useful with a psn necro + HF Merc?

You get slow from the HF merc.
    You get Lower resist from the psn necro's curse.
    Fire golem does more dmg...

Clay golem seems useless if you got a HF merc, although there are those players who like to slow their enemies to turtles.. lol

9. JoJeck

JoJeck IncGamers Member

:scratch: Hmmm what makes you say this?

And how do you explain me killing some poison immunes in the Stony Fields in Hell using only Lower Resist and Poison Nova? I did have Trangs Oul Wing giving a further -25% to poison resist.

10. amphreded

amphreded IncGamers Member

apparently i'm one of those players :lol:

but i actually had a wand +3 fire golem, +3 blood golem for a switch and so i use them to compare with the clay, i'd still go for clay. just my preference

11. hairyspheers

An update

PURE-pOisOn is currently on lvl 60 with all poision skills maxed. I am in hell difficulty and have to do lots of running while pnova takes the monsters down in big games. Act2 seems to be the best place so far to lvl because most of the monster that I run into are not poison immune. I am going to try buying wands to see what skills work the best for me. I don't want to have any minons but I might have to break that promise to myself. I'll keep you guys updated as I lvl.

12. BipolarTemp

BipolarTemp IncGamers Member

Well I'm going off second hand info here. This is what I've heard on these forums. I've never gotten to this point with a poison nova necro myself; just passing on what I've heard. :thumbsup:

13. JoJeck

JoJeck IncGamers Member

Ok, but please say that in future when you post. I can say that what you originally posted is definitely not correct from personal experience, and although increasing the poison resistance might reduce the length poison lasts, as for instance incresed cold resistance reduces the length of cold's chill effect, it does not mean that Lower Resist cannot break Poison Immunity and then poison do damage.

14. bobert

bobert IncGamers Member

im thinking of make a poisen nova necro, and i was wondering:

1. how well does full trangs work with this build? but if i should only use partial, which parts?

2. how viable is this char in hell?

3. should i get skeletons? or is my clay golem enough of a meat shield? if i do get clay golem only, would bone wall/prison be necessary/useful?

15. spiderman2k9

spiderman2k9 Banned

read the other posts about psn necros. i posted gear / stats there.. too lazy to retype.

16. hks489

hks489 IncGamers Member

The breaking of resist depends on how much lower resist you have. Poison Immune mosnters are the ones that have 100+ poison resist. However, there are some monsters that cant be broken because they have near 130 poison res. I got this info from some other thread, forgot which.

Full trangs is a viable option , but it's better to just use various pieces. Gloves give +25 psn dmg. and 3 pieces of trangs give -25% poison resist.

Even though there are alot of poison immunes in hell, lower resist can break their immunity. This build works extremely well in hell.

As for minions, it really depends what you want the final product to be. Skellies are out of the question, because it takes quite a bit of points to make them useful in hell. Golems are quite useful to get urself out of sticky situations. Clay golem has the most hit points out of all the golems. Bone Prison is useful if u intend to go PvP, but Bone wall is a neccessity to seprate monster groups into easier to handle bunches.

17. bobert

bobert IncGamers Member

i searched for ur other posts, do u think u could post a link to it?
    thx

18. hairyspheers

Now on lvl 73

PURE-pOisOn is now on lvl 73 doing CS runs in hell. I am going to have to say that this build does absolutly nothing with 8 players in the game. I use lower reist with 7 skill points there. Thats like -51 on resistance and still nothing. Everyone usually tells me to stop using PNova because it does nothing but lags everyone. I show very impressive numbers but can't kill fast enough or not at all. This build has been very disappointing even with seven revives and a golem. I thought I could own, at least a little bit. Do I need to crank up lower resist some more or what? BTW I am playing classic.

19. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

Heres the skinny on breaking poison immunity. There is no poisonlength=0 flag as far as I know, or if there is it isn't on every monster. As said above, it depends on the poison resistance of the monster, which can be quite high (why a second way to kill is so useful for a poisonec). The trang partial bonus/deaths web/facets do not help break down the poison immunity, just like cold mastery can't break cold immunity even if it's maxed. But once the immunity is -resist items will aid in removing the remaining resistances.