Poison Javazon

DwayneGAnd

Diabloii.Net Member
I have never actually tried this build before and I'm sure a lot of people haven't tried it either, mostly preferring the lightning variant of the javazon. Poison doesn't deal its damage at once like other damage types, but it can still be devastating when used right.

Poison Javelin and Plague Javelin are among the most powerful poison attacks available for players, dealing damage in the tens of thousands according to the character planners. But they take so long to deal all that damage, Poison Javelin takes more than a minute at very high levels, whereas another attack, Poison Nova deals its damage in only two seconds. Were it not for this, the fact that Plague Javelin has a timer, and the fact that she has no ability to lower the poison resistances of her enemies, this would be my favorite poison build.

Due to less synergies, there are more points available to put into other skills as well. At the start, I pumped Poison Javelin, then Plague Javelin once it became available, while also getting the other important skills such as the synergies for Valkyrie and Pierce. Once Plague Javelin was maxed, I'll finish maxing Poison Javelin.

What many people who tried this build fail to realize is that Poison Javelin has no timer, making it the more practical attack. Both attacks are more useful in certain situations. Just throw Poison Javelin into the path of your enemies and position yourself so that they walk through the line. With maxed chance to pierce, you can throw it at them instead, making it a more useful and practical all-purpose attack.

Here are the situations for when to use either attack:

Poison Javelin

-wide open areas
-fast enemies
-enemies are not engaged by your hireling or valkyrie
-enemies are spread out

Plague Javelin

-tight areas
-slow enemies
-enemies clustered together
-enemies engaged with your hireling and valkyrie
-enemies with high poison resistance

Here is my endgame item setup and hireling:

Act 2 Nightmare Offensive

Andariel's Visage (life leech and skill levels)
Treachery (chance to cast fade and increased attack speed)
Insight Cryptic Axe (meditation aura)

Helmet: Harlequin Crest (increased skill levels, life, and mana)
Amulet: Mara's Kaleidoscope (increased resistances and skill levels)
Armor: Bramble Archon Plate (increased poison skill damage and thorns aura)
Weapon: Titan's Revenge (increased skill levels, life leech, auto-replenishment, strength, and dexterity)
Swap Weapon: Call To Arms Flail (prebuff purposes)
Shield: Stormshield (increased strength and damage resistance)
Swap Shield: Spirit Monarch (increased skill levels for prebuff purposes)
Ring 1: Bul-Kathos' Wedding Band (skill level and life leech)
Ring 2: Raven Frost (cannot be frozen, dexterity bonus)
Belt: Razortail (Piercing chance bonus)
Boots: Silkweave (increased mana pool and mana per kill)
Gloves: Trang-Oul's Claws (increased poison skill damage)

According to my notes, I'll have 59 skill points left after maxing both poison skills and getting the prerequisites for Valkyrie and Pierce. Lots of people believe it may be a good idea to put points into lightning skills, such as Lightning Fury, but I disagree because the skill won't be fully synergied and will be much weaker, making it seem like a waste of points. So I've been thinking of maxing both Jab and Fend, and putting as many points as I can into Valkyrie, while raising Pierce high enough so that I'll have a chance to pierce of 100% with items that increase skill levels together with Razortail. What do you think? How does my equipment and hireling setup look?

Reactions: dkn

Zyr

Diabloii.Net Member
@DwayneGAnd, I currently have five Javazons with maxed Plague and Poison Javelin on US East non-Ladder.

In order of creation:

Toxic_Shaka is a level eighty-eight Guardian with maxed Charged Strike and Lightning strike, plus a single point in Lightning Fury. (The linked report was made when she was 86; her Plague Javelin is currently shown at 61-62K at level 88.)

Praxidice, level 87 Conqueror, originally maxed Lightning Fury and Decoy in addition to the Poison skills, but in a recent respec I diverted points from Decoy to max Charged Strike; her new numbers are shown in this post.

CuRare, level 77 Conqueror, probably won't be of much interest, as she's forbidden the use of Set, Unique, and Rune Word items. But she's very good at killing NM Cows.

Patientia is a "Bramble"-wearing level 89 Conqueror with maxed Decoy and Valkyrie (she town-summons the Valk at level 37). Her current numbers are shown in this post.

Dexless, level eighty-eight Conqueror, is a pure-Vitality remake of Toxic Shaka (maxed CS and LS), minus the point in LF (and minus a lot of skill adders). Current LCS/J&S screens in this post.

My comments are based upon my experiences with these Zons.

Shield: Stormshield (increased strength and damage resistance)
As you've seen if you read the posts linked in the spoiler, I strongly prefer "Spirit" Monarch for the +skills, resistances, mana, and FHR.

Gloves: Trang-Oul's Claws (increased poison skill damage)
I've tried Trang's gloves on Shaka, Praxi, and Patientia. Yeah, the Poison numbers go up, a little, but all other Javelin attack skills are much better with +J&S gloves.

With those exceptions, your gear choices look good to me. But I've established to my own satisfaction that it's possible to build a very effective Plaguezon with much less. Dexless has achieved level 88 and has rescued Anya in Hell with no Set or Unique items except for her Annihilus, and the highest runes in her gear are the Lums in her "Splendor" Bone Shields.

Lots of people believe it may be a good idea to put points into lightning skills, such as Lightning Fury, but I disagree because the skill won't be fully synergied and will be much weaker, making it seem like a waste of points. So I've been thinking of maxing both Jab and Fend, and putting as many points as I can into Valkyrie, while raising Pierce high enough so that I'll have a chance to pierce of 100% with items that increase skill levels together with Razortail. What do you think?
I think that if you were to do this, you'd be bitterly disappointed.

- IME and IMO, Charged Strike, Lightning Strike, and Lightning Fury are each effective with a single maxed synergy.

- Neither the Poison Skills nor CS, LS, or LF require a Hit Check to be effective, but both Jab and Fend do.

- Jab's +%ED per level stinks, but the skill is very good at delivering Crushing Blow quickly. Your proposed gear, however, doesn't include any CB.

- Jab's +%AR/level is 9%. Penetrate delivers +10%, and benefits both Jab and Fend.

Keep in mind that a single point in Lighting Fury can be an effective Physical damage attack, because the javelin always hits (though it may be blocked). You might find my Fending Mistress o' Minions Javazons to be of interest; all ten of them rely heavily on single points in LF.