Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Poison immunes and lower resist

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by xyzthorakzyx, Jun 1, 2005.

1. xyzthorakzyx

xyzthorakzyx IncGamers Member

Poison immunes and lower resist

I have a question about how poison immunities really work. Sometimes I can break mosters that are poison immune with a lower resist and sometimes I can't, why? Will it be possible to break these guys with more lvls in lower resist?

Let's say I hit an immune monster with a lower resist -60% and then I have further -enemy poison resists on my items, how much resist do they actually have left then?

2. FrozenSolid

FrozenSolid IncGamers Member

Im not an expert but here goes...

First of all only lower resist and conviction aura can break immunitites.
    -psn res on items only helps if the monster isnt imune.
    When you try to brake an imunity I think the -res is divided by 3.
    Ie. if you have a lower resist curse with -60 you can only break monsters with 119% or less psn resist.
    60 / 3 = 20
    119 - 20 = 99

Im not sure if Im entirely correct but someone will know ;)

3. HarbingersOfSkulls

HarbingersOfSkulls IncGamers Member

I'll save the math for MM...he likes that kind of stuff.

Most of the time...LR will take away the immunity against most monsters...only against certain champions it doesn't matter how much you have...they still won't break. Though they are mainly in hell.

Death's web with 5/5 poison facet...3 pieces of trang's..and LR will take away all immunity that most have.

HoS

4. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

A -60% LR will be worth -12% when it comes to breaking an immunity. This means that you can break the immunity of a monster with a max of 111% Poison Resist. Now the monster has 99% Poison Resist left and is no longer immune. At this point the -%Enemy Resist items kick in and you can reduce the monsters resistances further.

It is 5 actually.

5. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

Beyond act 2 Hell you won't find many immunes you can break with LR alone. Not a problem with skellies and corpse explode though. Also, poison immunes are nowhere near as common as the sorc element types.

6. Harleyquin

Harleyquin IncGamers Member

They happen too often for me, bloody maggots and maw fiends in the River of Flame are a pain to get rid of with my poison/summon hybrid.

7. Pherdnut

If I remember correctly, I could break the immunity of the little minimaggots and then use their corpses for CE fodder. Still took a while to kill the bigger ones but it made the whole process a lot more entertaining. Maw Fiends are a nuisance. They have a lot of life. On the other hand, once they do go down Anything near them typically follows shortly thereafter. Are you switching back to amp damage before you corpse explode? That seems to be the best option unless they are physical immunes. I usually switch to amp the second I've hit them with a nova and then back again before I cast another nova.

8. Harleyquin

Stone skin maw fiend boss packs happen at a rate of one every four River of flame runs for me...

9. Pherdnut

Then LR would be more appropriate for CEing. Lure them to a pile of bodies if you can. Once you get far enough away your skellies will disengage and follow you. They aren't usually poison immune though are they? I know one of the earlier variants in Hell is but I didn't think they were.

10. Harleyquin

All corpulent type monsters are poison-immune in hell, they are an absolute pain to kill unless you have a well-equipped mercenary and good minions

11. Pherdnut

That could be where I wasn't running into as much trouble. I'm prebuffing my skellies with AoKL and a +3/+4 Splendor head and have another +6 all skills coming to them. Also my merc has Guillaume's for DS and CB and a bonehew socketed with Amn.