Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Poison Explosion?!

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Mitch Turnbuckle, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Mitch Turnbuckle

Mitch Turnbuckle Diabloii.Net Member

Poison Explosion?!

Hello all,

I was just wondering if anybody has ever used the skill Poison Explosion extensively. It sure seems as though it does a lot of damage (over time and per second), but I personally have never used it. How exactly does it work? Is it any good?

2. Dazuni

Dazuni Diabloii.Net Member

yes,

before the days of me getting the eni (and when I was still playing), I had a trang oul summon / poison hybird, it was the most fun character ever, generally I would summon clay, use poison nova in act 5 wp2, with merc's help, until some monster dead before making skellies.

then when ever there are body, I would PE (rather then CE), I only CE when posion immune.

damage wise, it does exactly what it said on the tin, it is not as good as CE when it come to speed, but I think in certain respect it is better because the poison cloud linger, in my view it kill more monster with the same amount of body.

the other thing that if very good is that, before the days of the mana recharging insight, PE is ultra mana effective, it is always 8 mana, compare to CE which the mana consumption increase as skill level increases.

so for poision summoner using trang it is a thumb up.

3. Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop Diabloii.Net Member

CE is much faster.

4. garion

garion Diabloii.Net Member

psn explosion is glitched isn't it or something..i forget why..but its not as good as CE....

5. Mitch Turnbuckle

It just seems like a cool alternative to CE in a Lord O' Mages type build. Especially since CE really only needs a few skill points. The only problem is in all the skill points necessary to synergize it . . .

6. garion

garion Diabloii.Net Member

well i have psn explosion/dagger/nova maxed in my psnancer..and the nova works wonders...but i still use CE lol....

7. Fists of War

Fists of War Diabloii.Net Member

psn explosion is good if u can be bothered to lead monsters through the clouds...like when doing cow runs you can get a whole group poisened with just a few PE's.

8. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj Diabloii.Net Member

On that note, you can get a whole group killed with just 2 casts of CE on a group of Amp'd cows.

9. SSoG

SSoG Diabloii.Net Member

Poison Explosion is the best poison skill. It basically takes the poison rate of PN, and applies it over the duration of PD, giving you the best of both worlds. Seriously, PE has almost EXACTLY the same damage rate as Nova, and it always has exactly the same duration as Dagger.

As for how to use it effectively... summon a Fire Golem. Enemies clump up around Sparky because his Holy Fire aura drives them nuts. Once you get a body to drop, PE it and watch everyone by Sparky turn green and die. With a great gear setup (Trang's, Bramble, Death's Web, Lower Resists, +25 skills), 200,000 damage is entirely achievable (albeit over 20 seconds). Still, what kind of monsters have that kind of HP? Once you turn monsters green, feel free to Bone Prison them in place and ignore them. They'll fall down eventually- they're dead the second you poison them, it just takes them a while to realize it.

10. Mitch Turnbuckle

Thanks for the information y'all!

That sounds fun SSoG! I really like using distraction/misdirection tactics with my current Necro. Also, I have a soft spot for 'ol Sparky, and this particular tactic helps legitimaze his use to some degree. Not that he's that good (as discussed in the other thread in great/too much detail), but at least he can serve some #@#$&@%^ purpose, oh and he also has that "Nuclear Explosion" ability that was talked about, (ha ha) so that helps . . .

It seems like PE operates similar to Poison Creeper, in that a poison area is "laid" and the monster has to move over it, or does the monster just have to be in contact with the poison area? How large is this area? Does it increase in size with skill points invested?

11. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

PE works just like those mummy corpses. Anything that moves through the cloud gets a dose of Poison. This area is small, about 1 yard IIRC and doesn't increase with more skillpoints.

12. Mitch Turnbuckle

Thanks for the additional info Mad Mantis!

It's just too bad it takes 60 skill points to max the synergies. 60 points for Poison skills + 40 points for Skeleton Mages & Skeleton Mastery, leaves one "bare bones" (pun intended!) Lord o' Mages.

13. Fists of War

Fists of War Diabloii.Net Member

Or ou could just go with a golem, and mostly use poison explosion and nova, but if you love skellie mages then you wont like that idea...