Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Poison dmg charms

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by Rafaell, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Rafaell

Rafaell IncGamers Member

Poison dmg charms

Heya guys, thanks in advance for your help.

Something happened which is a bit confusing to me. I'm using a weapon with a high poison dmg component (180 poison dmg over 4 seconds on the Jade Tan Do Kris). Then, when I got an inventory charm which is supposed to add 6 poison damage over 3 seconds, my overall weapon damage which is shown as 189-242, went DOWN when I used it (to 173-226) I'm not sure why the damage range of the weapon would drop. If I add a second 6 poison damage charm / 3 sec, the ratio drops even lower to 172-225.

Also, on a related note. Would the poison damage that the Jade Tan Do inflicts apply to frenzy for a barbarian? If I used two weapons with poison damage, would the poison of both weapons get applied to a mob I am frenzying? I know it's kind of a dumb question, and I appreciate any help given.

Finally, one last query. Because of the 180 poison damage on the Kris, none of the weapons I am coming across now match it's dmg range. However, it is a damage over time, and since the physical damage of the weapon is kind of weak (2-11) I was wondering if perhaps going for a weapon with higher physical damage may be a better idea. Thank you all in advance for your time and advice.

2. warlock_666

warlock_666 IncGamers Member

I dont know the answer to the PD charm mystery but i can give some advice on the weapon.

Your weapon does nice damage with PD, but what happens if you come across a Poison immune? Your buggered basically. As a rule of thumb i'd reccomend always going for a high physical damage weapon, then any elemental damage on top of that is a bonus, not going for a weapon with a nice elemental damage but crappy physical damage.

Id reccomend butcher's pupil as a nice low lvl weapon with quite nice damage and some nice mods - (open wounds and deadly strike)

hope i helped

3. GenXCub

GenXCub IncGamers Member

What character type are you playing?

Poison Damage can be confusing on melee because that little charm may actually be lowering your damage.

You have 180 damage over 4 seconds. Now lets add another poison source. 6 poison damage over 3 seconds. That breaks down to the Jade Tan Do doing 45 per second, and the charm doing 2 per second. That's 47 per second... but in Melee damage, you average the durations, so 47 per second over 3.5 seconds = 164.5 damage.

So it's more damage per second, but if you're into poisoning monsters and waiting for them to die, it may not be as good.

If you use a ranged weapon to poison, then the duration is added, not averaged.

If you're a necromancer using the Poison Dagger skill, that can change the amount you do because it cuts the duration to 2 seconds, but you do a lot more damage in those 2 seconds.

4. Rafaell

Rafaell IncGamers Member

Thanks both for your kind and informative reply.
    My class is a barbarian, and it does indeed seem like it is lowering my damage to have multiple poison charms in my inventory. Having such a high dependancy on damage over time is confusing, especially since I had multiple sources of poison damage. Will wait 'till something a bit better comes along weapon wise, thank you very much again for the advice.

5. Burnt_toasty

Burnt_toasty IncGamers Member

They "fixed" how range works now in 1.10. But everything is correct.