Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

poison damage - switching to -poison res/+poison dmg equip <

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by smeer, Oct 11, 2006.

1. smeer

smeer IncGamers Member

poison damage - switching to -poison res/+poison dmg equip

Hi, I was wondering if switching to +poison damage or -poison resistance equipment works after you applied poison damage.
    Since poison damage works over time it could work....especially the -poison res mod

2. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

I'm quite sure that it depends on the +poison dmg / -poison res at the time you apply the poison, so it won't help to change it later. Otherwise the game would have to keep track of who dealt which amount of poison to check the modifyiers to adjust the damage each time it gets dealt and that would be rather cumbersome.

3. Ax2Grind

Ax2Grind IncGamers Member

Details...

I thought I read that -ER, as well as +SD, was kept track of, so switching away from it after applying poison would either use current or highest setting, one or the other. There's a thread on this not too far back, a couple months, tops. I'll check on it.

Edit: alright, here's the older thread with a more detailed explanation. I thought the +PSD was calculated at the time of attack, which means as soon as a successful hit is made the amount of poison that starts is initiated and can't be changed. Then the -EPR kicks in when actually calculating the damage as the poison works on the opponent, so the system must keep track of multiple sources and the -EPR for each, despite it being more CPU-intensive. +PSD, however, may play a post-attack roll, though the details on that seem a bit fuzzy, if true.

4. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

For poison it should be a one time calculation, taking both +% poison dmg and -% poison resist into account for dmg/frame and duration. Rabies is different, because it doesn't follow the rules of poison and actually stacks with it.

5. Ax2Grind

Ax2Grind IncGamers Member

So the calculation puts the damage total from all bonuses together and holds the resistance modifier for that specific source as part of the equation, then subtracts the -EPR from the enemy's resistance portion per frame when figuring the damage? {(skill damage + bonus to skill damage) + outside bonuses * (-enemy resistance modifier + enemy resistance)} or something like that, but the formula can't be completed until there's an enemy being affected, i.e. hit and poisoned, so as to fill out the enemy's resistance. This suggests the after effect of switching gear is irrelevant and the only things that directly affect the enemy's resistance, such as Lower Resist and Conviction, can change this 'predestined' outcome, correct?

6. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

No, it calculates the poison dmg per frame using skills/items (and thus +% poison dmg) from the attacker, and poison resistance from the defender (lowered by LR and -% enemy poison resist on items), and then duration (affected by Poison length 'resistance', which is PLR on items and -% enemy poison resist, and is also lowered by the difficulty penalty). For missiles some of this happens at point of impact, so switching gear can be useful for ranged attackers.

The dmg is in 1/256 life point per frame and the duration in frames of course. The defender's life regeneration is set to minus dmg done, nullifying the innate regeneration rate of monsters/minions/hirelings. Replenish Life should be seperate from the regeneration rate of hirelings and Valk/Shadow Master (they can get items with Replenish Life, not that it does much with their high life).

Lower resist won't increase the dmg of a poison when the poison was applied before LR.